Feb. vs April? Eastern or Western Carribean?

newenglander58

If you don't want to dress up, then go with NCL. BUT, by missing the formal nights, you miss the best food of the entire cruise, and since you've already paid for it, then why miss out? Formal nights don't necessarily mean tuxes. You can get by with a sport coat, tie, dress slacks and dress shirt. The ladies can wear a short cocktail dress or nice slacks with a dressy top.

As for time of year, be careful unless you don't mind tons of kids. President's Week in Feb is very kid-heavy. You might also want to avoid spring break time with all the college kids and families.

I would recommend Celebrity because they consistently have the best in terms of food and service, but they are also the cruise line where passengers do dress up on formal nights. So with that in mind, try either RCCI or Princess. While they both have formal nights, they aren't as dressy as Celebrity, although a vast majority of passengers do the formal nights because of the great food.

If you really don't want to partake of formal nights, but still want to enjoy the Lobster (for what that is worth) or whatever I would suggest NCL. You can be very comfortable and certainly not feel out of place even on those special nights in a polo shirt or sport shirt for him and a cute summer dress for you. Forget the cocktail dress. Like Kitty said, RCI and Princess aren't as dressy but I think you would feel out of place on Celebrity throughout the evening if you were not dressed up on formal nights.

As for relaxing and fishing trips. You will have to check itineraries and shore activities about the fishing, there are not a whole lot of places in the Caribbean that will offer fishing excursions. I don't mean none, but not many. Relax, you can relax as much as you want on almost any line.

Nita

...the earlier posters have accurately summarized the different lines' "feel" in terms of how dressed up you want to be BUT:

You're from New England. I'm from New England. There is no contest between February and April. February is awful. April might be, but awful because of rain. Not snow. Or sub-freezing temps. Or icy highways. And on and on and on...

Early March (or even the last week of February) is the ideal compromise: you're sick of winter, school vacation week(s) are over but college Spring Break hasn't begun, it's usually still miserable enough that you think you're getting away from something, and if you time it right and can get to Ft Myers, the Sox are there. Is there anything better?

Hi NewEnglander58- another New Englander here. We like to cruise in April and our second choice is late March, as we hope for fairly good travel conditions from NE to Florida.

Most cruise lines offer a buffet supper which you can go to during formal night- so you don't have to dress up.

We recommend the Eastern itineraries for a variety of excursions. Some of the cruise line's private islands, in the Bahamas, offer fishing excursions.

We cruised the Carnival Glory out of Port Canaveral, Florida, last February during Super Bowl week. The cruise was great. Perfect weather, smooth seas, we loved it. We did the Eastern itinerary - Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. Formal night is optional so he doesn't have to go. I highly recommend this cruise :D. Travelgirl

...the earlier posters have accurately summarized the different lines' "feel" in terms of how dressed up you want to be BUT:

You're from New England. I'm from New England. There is no contest between February and April. February is awful. April might be, but awful because of rain. Not snow. Or sub-freezing temps. Or icy highways. And on and on and on...

Early March (or even the last week of February) is the ideal compromise: you're sick of winter, school vacation week(s) are over but college Spring Break hasn't begun, it's usually still miserable enough that you think you're getting away from something, and if you time it right and can get to Ft Myers, the Sox are there. Is there anything better?

I agree, getting away from the Northeast in February is much more desirable than April (although I wouldn't scoff at April, just that if I had a choice, I'd go with Feb.). The only thing I disagree with is that early March is exactly when college Spring Breaks start. My kids were always off either the first or second week of March when they were in college. They never had the same two weeks off at the same time; one would be off the first week and the other the second week. Anywhere from late February through March is loaded with college Spring Breakers.

Thanks so much for the replies.

OK - so far - beginning of Feb. seems "safe".

DH would rather not fly due to inner ear problems - I know at this time of the year cruising out of New York probably not an option....however....driving to FL...with perhaps a "layover" in FT. Myers??? Brilliant!!

Did I say we were laid back?? DH does not even own a suit!! lol Of course he's going for the food - DD and I made sure we took pics of every meal from our cruise to show him!!

Another question - at that time of year - if we do drive to port - with the $$ we save on flights - should we splurge for a balcony??

Thanks so much - keep the ideas coming!

Another question - at that time of year - if we do drive to port - with the $$ we save on flights - should we splurge for a balcony??

Thanks so much - keep the ideas coming!

I'm spoiled - I have always had a balcony, so of course I would recommend one. As far as the $$ goes, will you use your personal balcony, or will an ocean view work just as well? That is up to you. I enjoy sipping coffee on my balcony in the morning and a glass of wine in the evening.

We drove to Port Canaveral and made a road trip out of it. However, we had an inside cabin and enjoyed it very much. We did have a balcony on the Conquest which is the sister ship to the Glory and loved it. We had booked an oceanview on the Conquest and was upgraded to a balcony. If you have never had a balcony, you may want to upgrade to one as they are very nice. We loved sitting out drinking our coffee in the morning. But we have no problem with inside rooms, either. Have a great cruise. Travelgirl

We are also from NE and do alot of vacationing and cruising.

If I could only take one cruise, I would take it in February before school vacation week. We are cruising to the southern caribbean Feb 3 from NJ on Explorer of the Seas.

March and April are the busiest cruising months of the year in the caribbean. There are lots of Spring Breakers including college students and elementary school kids that time of year.

I highly recommend the southern caribbean cruise that includes Barbados because it is so much closer to the equator during the winter. My second choice would be the western caribbean because those islands are far enough south to have warm ocean temps.

Stay away from the Bahamas during January and February because they can get those cool winds from the north that time of year.

• 2 months later...

Decision made - late April 2008 - my b-day month (and it's a "big one") - hubby is leaning towards Western Caribbean....

Some other questions - since I've only been on DCL.....

It appears that they are the only line that offers free soft drinks, ice tea , coffee - all say long??

What about refrigerators/iceboxes in the room??

This weeks goal is to pick a destination - next week's we choose a cruise line.....please keep the suggestions coming....

most ships have free coffee, tea, iced tea and lemonade all day long. It's just soft drinks, bottled water and specialty coffees that you'll have to pay for.

Refrigerators depend on the ship. RCI's newer ships have a fridge in every room.

I'd suggest trying the Mariner of the Seas from Port Canaveral, which alternates western and eastern itineraries. I bet if you look on the ports of call board from Grand Cayman or Cozumel (western) and St Maarten/St Thomas (eastern), you can find reputable private tour operators for fishing excursions.

One thing to take a look at is when holiday's are and also when Collage spring break occurs. The like below indicates how many universities are on spring break by week.

http://www.tripsmarter.com/panamacity/springbreak/sbcalendar.htm

Easter this years falls on March 27. That would mean that the two weeks before and two weeks after this date will have a potential for lots of kids and passenger load doubling...

Don't be so quick to rule out NY City. NCL's new ship, the Gem, has a 10 day cruise out of NY on Feb 6th to St, Thomas, St, Martin, Barbados, Antiqua. Yeah, the first day and last day at sea are not great sailing because of the weather but not terrible. Let's see, would I rather drive to Florida or cruise? So you're trading two days of driving for two days of sailing. I'm sure you can find a fishing expedition on one of these islands from a private outfit. Just to throw a little more info into your decision making process.

I'd avoid cruises leaving between Feb 16 and March 1 as that is when NH and MA schools are on vaca (ME, VT and CT probably around then, too), depending on how many kiddos you want around.

Go either the first couple of weeks of Feb or wait until the first few weeks of April. Once again, the public schools are all on vaca the last two weeks of April.

Not really answering your question a whole lot, but I figured posting the school vacation schedule might help you. :)

If you're cruising in April (which is still Spring Break time!), I would avoid cruises less than 8 or 9 days. Also, driving to FL will give you many more options. However, don't discount leaving from NYC or NJ. (Although avoid NCL's Majesty out of Charleston at this time of year- Spring Break Ship!) For example, RCI's Explorer leaves from Bayonne NJ on 4/11 and 4/25 (I personally would prefer the 4/25 itinerary) (and somehow can't post either here?).

If you would consider NCL, their Spirit leaves from NYC on 4/19. Here's the itinerary: (managed to post this)

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART SatApr19New York (Manhattan), NY 4:00pmSunApr20At SeaMonApr21At SeaTueApr22St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 11:00amWedApr23St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 1:00amWedApr23Tortola, British V.I. 8:00am5:00pmThuApr24Samana, Dominican Republic 9:00am6:00pmFriApr25At SeaSatApr26At SeaSunApr27New York (Manhattan), NY 8:00amredline.gif

We 've cruised twice out of NYC- leave your car right at the dock- expensive but convenient and secure. The Spirit is a great ship- smaller than the Explorer, but still great for relaxing, etc. Don't worry about rough seas on those sea days- rough seas can happen anytime and anywhere- our sea days have always been great- warm, sunny and great days to relax or explore the ships.

On the issue of formal nights- NCL has freestyle, so dressing up or down is not an issue. RCI is getting less formal each year (or so it seems from my three- soon to be 4- RCI cruises). In May 07 (Grandeur), very few men wore tuxs or even suits. Most just wore decent pants & dress shirts and some had ties. And you can always eat at the buffet (or room service) that night. Most people will change into "comfy" clothes after dinner (as opposed to HAL or Celebrity, where people stay dressed-up all evening). Don't think you must go to formal night because they serve lobster tails- since you're from New England, you might not want the lobster tails- you'll be disappointed!

Don't be so quick to rule out NY City. NCL's new ship, the Gem, has a 10 day cruise out of NY on Feb 6th to St, Thomas, St, Martin, Barbados, Antiqua. Yeah, the first day and last day at sea are not great sailing because of the weather but not terrible. Let's see, would I rather drive to Florida or cruise? So you're trading two days of driving for two days of sailing. I'm sure you can find a fishing expedition on one of these islands from a private outfit. Just to throw a little more info into your decision making process.

Same with RCI's Explorer of the Seas from NJ. There are some excellent 9 and 12 night cruises to the Caribbean during that time frame!

Thanks for the great input - since we are thinking end of April (my birthday is the 25th) driving to NY would be no peorblem - and what we would save in flights we could do a longer cruise......this is sounding better and better all the time!!!!!

Can't wait to sit down with DH and look at the brochures!!

Anyone have any details to share about the freestyle dining on NCL??

Not much to share about free style since the name describes it pretty closely. Less formal than most other lines. It saves having to rush back to the ship from an excursion if you don't want to. Some people don't like the fact that you don't have the same waiter every night like the old style. But you can reserve a table in a waiters area if you want to. You might hit a delay doing that but if it's worth it so what. If you meet someone you like at dinner you can still eat with them every night also. Like I've said also, if you find a dinner you really like, you can eat twice. LOL. Occasionally there are lines getting into the dining rooms but that is outweighed by the plusses that Freestyle provides I feel.

Archived