Alaska -- Rainy Day Excursions, Which are the Best?

Aloha!

Getting ready to set sail on the Mariner on Sept. 5, Vancouver to Seward.

I'm checking the Accuweather 15 day forecast, and I realize it is a bit early, but it looks like rain in most of our stops. Ketchikan (no big surprise there), Juneau, Skagway and Sitka.

Do any of you recent Alaska cruisers have any suggestions as to which excursions might be more enjoyable even if it is raining?

Mahalos to you all for your assistance!!

You might consider the train excursion out of Skagway. We had booked that and as it just so happened it was a drizzly (not pouring) day. Was a pleasant trip with beautiful scenery. After arriving back in Skagway, we then proceeded to do a walking tour of the city (under an umbrella). Don't forget to take one,.

The Tracy Arm Fjord cruise is a must-do whether the weather is good or bad. The boat is covered with big windows, so you only have to go out on the deck if you want to. It is prettier in good weather, but it is so amazing that you must go even if it is rainy.

Aloha!

Getting ready to set sail on the Mariner on Sept. 5, Vancouver to Seward.

I'm checking the Accuweather 15 day forecast, and I realize it is a bit early, but it looks like rain in most of our stops. Ketchikan (no big surprise there), Juneau, Skagway and Sitka.

Do any of you recent Alaska cruisers have any suggestions as to which excursions might be more enjoyable even if it is raining?

Mahalos to you all for your assistance!!

We are on the same cruise & had booked a few tours on line. Thanks to your message (we had not realized the weather would be sooo bad) We can cancel them at this time without penalty.

Thanks to you Rachel G -- I really want to book the Tracy Arm fjord catamaran trip as I have read so many great comments about it.

Unfortunately, I don't think it is available on our trip, at least not on-line or in the materials RSSC sent with my cruise docs. Is this trip only available on the Southbound Alaska trips? Or perhaps it is too late in the season? Does anyone know on this?

To Chelonia --- Just a suggestion, but you can cancel tours while on-board up to the day BEFORE your excursion.

A lot can change before we get to Alaska in terms of weather, so you may want to wait and not cancel your excursions this early, but rather wait until we are there and see how the forecast looks at that time.

You can check the 15 day forecast at Accuweather.com.

It may be too late in the season--when we were there, it was the last week in May, and I think it was the first week that they did that tour. There was really lots of ice floating around the boat--very cool, with seals sitting on top of some of the huge pieces.

Mahalo for the update TitanBruce!

Either way, rain or shine, this will be a fantastic cruise.

I've done this one before with Regent (Radisson at the time), and Tracy Arm is beautiful from the Mariner.

Because of her Azipod propulsion system, she can do a 360 degree spin and the Captain will do so (I'm pretty sure), so that everyone can see the view from their balconies.

Wow, it's only one week from tomorrow. How exciting!

Archived