London & Paris Hotel Ideas

Next July, we plan to visit both Paris and London prior to a cruise. We have friends that will be using Marriott points for hotels in both Paris and London. In Paris, they will be staying at the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center, and, in London, they will be staying at the Marriott County Hall. Using today's conversion rates for GBPs and EUROs, it looks like the Marriott County Hall's lowest priced room for next July is about $600 per night, and the Paris Rive Gauche would be about $725 per night for the lowest priced room (but the Rive Gauche shows no availability for the dates we plan to be in Paris). I know that London and Paris hotels are expensive, but I'm trying to find something that would be a little more reasonable--say in the $300 to $400 per night range. It's hard for me to type $300 to $400 as being more reasonable but I realize that this is today's reality of how the U.S. dollar is doing against the GBP and the EURO. Because we would be with our friends, does anyone have any ideas on potential hotels that you would recommend that would be near the County Hall in London and the Rive Gauche in Paris that would fall within the $300 to $400 per night range? Thanks for input.

John

... in London, they will be staying at the Marriott County Hall. ... Because we would be with our friends, does anyone have any ideas on potential hotels that you would recommend that would be near the County Hall in London and the Rive Gauche in Paris that would fall within the $300 to $400 per night range?
If you want to be close, but are happy to put up with relatively basic facilities, have a look at the Premier Travel Inn at County Hall.

Next July, we plan to visit both Paris and London prior to a cruise. We have friends that will be using Marriott points for hotels in both Paris and London. In Paris, they will be staying at the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center, and, in London, they will be staying at the Marriott County Hall. Using today's conversion rates for GBPs and EUROs, it looks like the Marriott County Hall's lowest priced room for next July is about $600 per night, and the Paris Rive Gauche would be about $725 per night for the lowest priced room (but the Rive Gauche shows no availability for the dates we plan to be in Paris). I know that London and Paris hotels are expensive, but I'm trying to find something that would be a little more reasonable--say in the $300 to $400 per night range. It's hard for me to type $300 to $400 as being more reasonable but I realize that this is today's reality of how the U.S. dollar is doing against the GBP and the EURO. Because we would be with our friends, does anyone have any ideas on potential hotels that you would recommend that would be near the County Hall in London and the Rive Gauche in Paris that would fall within the $300 to $400 per night range? Thanks for input.

John

If you don't need to stay near your friends you can find less expensive lodging..here is a link for Venere which will give you map location as well as pricing and there is always TripAdvisor.You may also want to look at booking through a US 800 no.,and prepaying in US$'s.

Hotel reservations - Venere.com

Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvi

Funny...I saw that room rate and said "Wow!"...

I've been searching for hotels for my post-cruise stay, August 2-4, 2008...and noticed just how expensive things have gotten...but not THAT expensive...

My favorite hotel, where I've stayed my last couple of visits, the Rubens at the Palace, wants 159 GBP per night for my dates...

So, I looked up this Marriott...just to check it out...I'm still far short on my Marriott Rewards points to get it for free...

First I plugged in "AAA" rate on their site...and it spit out 266 GBP per night...Ugh!

So, I took out the "AAA" and tried again...and this time I got a quote of 157.45 for a Deluxe room, room only...177.87 for an "Escape Capital Views" package...deluxe room including breakfast and two tickets for the London Eye...

For the meanwhile, I've booked my stay at the Radisson Edwardian Kenilworth for 95 GBP per night...but, I'm going to keep searching for a nicer hotel/better deal...

We are planning on spending a week in Paris and decided to rent an apartment - 1200E for 7 nights on the Ile de Cite right next to Notre Dame. After seeing what I could get for around 300E per night for a family of four, I think that the apt is a "deal"...even if you don't stay the whole week. Check out http://www.parisattitude.com - good luck!

I just booked a week in Paris ,and an apt. is a great idea although I booked a week at the Hotel Lotti as it is a vacation to me,for me,about me this trip:D ,and I am going in Nov for T-day week so it was a good deal,but not cheap. I do go to Paris as often as I can get there and it is getting more and more expensive to say the least.The next time I go I would not hesitate to rent an apt.and I thank vacationhappy for the link..better than some I have had.I find that sometimes booking direct with the hotel and/or asking about any internet specials they may have on their own website would save money..if one does not ask the answer is always no.

We stayed in Paris for a week after our cruise in July and rented an apartment. This was through homeaway.com and the property number is 69979. It says it is 2 bedrooms but really it is one bedroom and two sofa beds in the living room. We paid 900 Euros for the week which made it a lot cheaper than a hotel. It is one block from the Champs Elysees and then another two blocks to the Arc de Triumphe. Great location and we walked a lot of places. The Hop On Hop Off bus has a stop by the Arc. The apartment wasn't perfect but we would stay there again because of location. It is on the 4th floor with an elevator and has AC.

This is another option for you.

Whenever we visit London (from another part of the UK) we stay at hotels in the Travelodge & Premier Inn chains. They're basic but most of them are modern, and I've always found them clean and certainly safe. What you'll get is a large room with a double (king?) bed, and (if you book a family room) a bed-settee. There's also be a bathroom, some storage space, a TV, and a kettle in the room. There's no restaurant, but increasingly these hotels have a simple breakfast room where a light breakfast is provided.

They *are* basic, but they are also very economical, and might be worth a look.

For the best rates for London try

www.londontown.com

This is the website I use when booking for London as they have the best rates compared to other sites like priceline or travelocity or expedia.

For Paris try www.bookings.nl again a really good site for great prices. Alternately the Accor hotels (Sofitel, Novotel, Mercur, Ibis etc) offer great deals if you book directly on their website www.accor.com Often they have 50% of regular rates if you book the no change/no cancel rate.

Hope this helps!

We stayed in Paris for a week after our cruise in July and rented an apartment. This was through homeaway.com and the property number is 69979. It says it is 2 bedrooms but really it is one bedroom and two sofa beds in the living room. We paid 900 Euros for the week which made it a lot cheaper than a hotel. It is one block from the Champs Elysees and then another two blocks to the Arc de Triumphe. Great location and we walked a lot of places. The Hop On Hop Off bus has a stop by the Arc. The apartment wasn't perfect but we would stay there again because of location. It is on the 4th floor with an elevator and has AC.

This is another option for you.

Thanks for the idea of staying in an apartment in Paris for a family of 4. What are the downsides that you had in that apartment if any?

Yes, London especially is expensive and the rooms are small for the price even at the Marriott, I believe. A few years ago we stayed at the K&K Hotel George. It was about $300US for three of us (2 adults and a teen who I think was counted as an adult) and included a great buffet breakfast ( the best we had on our trip). I can't remember exactly which area of London it was in, but it was just a few blocks to the Underground which is the only way to get around London. The hotel is highly rated and was clean and nice. Unfortunately I always feel that you can't expect the same in Europe for a hotel as the same price as you pay in the US. The location of the hotel also was good, the neighborhood was quiet, safe and clean. I would definitely recommend it. Check out tripadvisor.com, people write in hotel reviews on the site and MOST are fairly accurrate. I too didn't even want to pay $300 for a hotel, but for London you have to "bite the bullet". Good luck.

Fet - The downsides of this particular apartment are:

- listed as a 2 bedroom but in reality a 1 bedroom and 2 futons in the living room. SInce we only had 2 people it was great.

- the apartment could us more lighting

- the bedroom had no drapes on the windows but there are shutters on all the windows so that worked too

- the kitchen was small but had a refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, coffee pot and appropriate dishes, etc.

- the bathroom had a sink, large shower and washer/dryer combo.

- no soap was provided for the dishwasher or clothes washer

- there is a small, small room with small sink and toilet

- we had to ask for another set of towels

- the elevator was very small and we had to make a few trips with our luggage

This was listed as a luxury apartment and I'm sure in Paris it was and the location was fantastic. The minuses above were not significant in any way. We didn't use the dishwasher and we had our own washer sheets. The apartment was close to the main road, buses and trains. There were lots of restaurants close by. All in all it was a good choice and if we go to Paris again we would try to get the same apartment. There was a supermarket a few blocks away that had everything you would want.

I think the apartment is the way to go and we're looking at another one for Amsterdam in July.

Hope this helps and if you want more info let me know.

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to find what appears to be a very good rate on Marriott's Rive Gauche for two nights beginning July 20, 2008. I booked it late this afternoon through Marriott's web site at 195 euros per night, and this rate includes estimated government taxes and fees.

John

If you want to be close, but are happy to put up with relatively basic facilities, have a look at the Premier Travel Inn at County Hall.

I've stayed there before. The position is good - same building as the Marriott.

I find that these budget hotels have small beds - probably no more than five feet if that. Travelodge are, I'm sure four foot six. My wife and I are used to a six foot bed, and it makes a difference.

The breakfast is quite expensive at the Travel Inn County Hall - about eight pounds as I recall - for what it is. Yes, you can eat as much as you like, but it isn't gourmet by many miles.

But it is the only reliable way of getting a hotel under £100 in London. It's a frightening city in that way - when looking at New York I find the numbers are the same, it is just the currency that is different!

Matthew

Archived