Hilton Hotel Harbor Island

Gsel

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago. We're staying at the Omni which isn't too far from your hotel. Here's what a helpful San Diegan gave me.

San Diego Wine & Culinary Center

200 Harbor Dr, San Diego, CA

(619) 231-6400

The Wine Bank

363 5th Ave # 100, San Diego, CA

(619) 234-7487

You can also get good deals on wine at Cost Plus World Market:

372 4th Ave, San Diego, CA

(619) 236-1737

Actually, if you are staying at THIS Hilton: San Diego Airport Harbor Island -1960 Harbor Island Drive, San Diego, CA, you are quite a ways from those stores listed above. There are quite a few Hiltons in San Diego.

You are on Harbor Island (actually an artificial peninsula in San Diego Bay), which is mostly marinas and hotels and restaurants, with few retail outlets. If you have a car or want to take a cab, you can get to several stores. I would recommend going to the new Trader Joe's at 2401 Truxtun Rd., Ste. 300 (619-758-9272, open 8 am - 9 pm). You can get there from Harbor Drive or Rosecrans. It is in the new development on the grounds of the old Naval Training Center. Almost next door is Wine Steals (2970 Truxtun Rd). Not much further is the village for Point Loma (south of Harbor on Rosecrans), and you can find these places: Grape Connections: 1130 Scott St., and you could also try Point Loma Liquor (1507 Rosecrans St., at the corner of Harbor Drive).

I would checkout Trader's Joe's first. A good source of inexpensive and usually quality wines. Check out the Two Buck Chuck (Charles Shaw, $1.99 a bottle)!!!

Thanks, Trader Joe's is one of my favorite places to stock up when we visit my sister in northern California. We always sent a "care package" home that is full of goodies. A cab will be worth the cost just to go there!

If you aren't too terribly picky there is a Rite Aid about three blocks from the cruise port. I purchased several nice bottles of Clos du Bois there in June.;) You could easily check in your large bags, wander to the Rite Aid and back to the ship within 15 to 20 minutes.

Stick to Trader Joe's for a real selection (and good prices if you get Two Buck Chuck!!).

The Hilton and Harbor Island are fine. If you want to get up real early in the morning you can watch your ship come into port from there very easily, and the views across the bay are very nice here. Plan on walking along the promonade area on the south side of the island both to stretch your legs and watch all the boats and harbor activity.

Archived