Train or car from Seward to Denali and Fairbanks

kellig

If we decide to go it alone on our landbased portion of our alaska trip, is the train sufficient enough to get us to main toursity places within walkin distance? We are deboarding in Seward, and wouldn't mind stopping in Ankorage, Talkteena, and Denali before flying out of either Fairbanks or Ankorage. We love nature, and I can't decide if viewing from the train would be sufficient, because I like to stop to take pictures, or is the view from the road not as pretty. The cost of car rental for 5 days is about $800, whereas the train would cost $500. Can't believe car rental is that much. My other option is a cruisetour, and the TOUR part seems a very costly addition for convienience. Thanks.

A roundtrip car rental from Anchorage is expensive, but it shouldn't cost $800 for 5 days, unless that is a Seward to Fairbanks rate. You could disembark in Seward, go on a 6-hour Kenai Fjords cruise, then take the train to Anchorage that night ($65/pp in 2007). The next morning, pick-up your rental car in downtown Anchorage, where you'll save quite a bit in taxes vs. an airport pick-up. Try Enterprise, which did raise rates recently, but might be a bit less expensive than the major car rental companies. From there you can drive to Denali with stops along the way, especially in Talkeetna. Stay in the Denali area 2 nights, and take the park shuttle bus to Fish Creek or Wonder Lake. (Check out the Denali Lakeview Inn in Healy - many good reviews here and at Trip Advisor: http://www.denalilakeviewinn.com.) Then drive to Fairbanks or return to Anchorage. If you drop-off the car in Fairbanks, it will cost you considerably more than if you return it to Anchorage.

Wow, Nancy! You just made my life so much easier. All these decisions I was struggling with, you answered and gave advice for in one suscinct post! I can't thank you enough, because you pretty much just planned my trip for me. Kelli :)

I'm happy to have helped. :) We did a land trip post-cruise via rental car this past June, although we didn't go to Denali. We'll be back next summer, cruising to Seward, and what I told you is pretty much what we will do.

With your priority for your photos, you won't be happy on the train, so consider and reseach car rentals. One way Anchorage/Fairbanks is also a costly car rental and not really recommended unless short on time. Determine, why you are considering Fairbanks, and in my opinion, it's a 2 night stop.

Taking the train from Seward to Anchorage, will give you your train experience, which is by far, the most scenic portion. :)

Determine how many days you have and then fit in your itinerary.

Archived