paying for bathrooms

I know that in Europe and other countries you normally pay to use the public toilet. When I toured Europe it was a matter of coins not bills and it was local currency. In Portugal they had this odd capsule that you put money in and it sanitized/sprayed the enitre inside for about 2 minutes and then the door would slide open. Very funny. Mom and I laughed at that one. Felt like I was about to blast off. Took forever though for the two of us to make a bathroom stop.

Anyway I ramble. If I am exchanging money at an ATM I am not getting any coins. Do the restrooms accept dollar bills? Should I make a quick purchase when I first get to port so I have a few coins in my pocket of the local currency? This is a pain because then I have to carry what I buy.

I know this seems silly but we women tend to have to think on these things. I know to bring tissue and possibly seat covers, but do not want to be in a position where the restroom matron (where do they find those fierce looking grandma's?) is saying no, I can't use the toilet because I don't have the right coinage or want to use American.

It would help if you would tell us where you are going. Europe is several countries and they are all different. In the Euro zone, A 50 Euro Cent coin is frequently appropriate. However public restrooms are not always the best idea, buy a coffee with some local currency (you don't even have to drink it) and use the facilities in the coffee shop. They give change too!

I know that in Europe and other countries you normally pay to use the public toilet. When I toured Europe it was a matter of coins not bills and it was local currency. In Portugal they had this odd capsule that you put money in and it sanitized/sprayed the enitre inside for about 2 minutes and then the door would slide open. Very funny. Mom and I laughed at that one. Felt like I was about to blast off. Took forever though for the two of us to make a bathroom stop.

Anyway I ramble. If I am exchanging money at an ATM I am not getting any coins. Do the restrooms accept dollar bills? Should I make a quick purchase when I first get to port so I have a few coins in my pocket of the local currency? This is a pain because then I have to carry what I buy.

I know this seems silly but we women tend to have to think on these things. I know to bring tissue and possibly seat covers, but do not want to be in a position where the restroom matron (where do they find those fierce looking grandma's?) is saying no, I can't use the toilet because I don't have the right coinage or want to use American.

I think in Russia your Singles will be most welcome... although it costs only 0.10 RUR.

In Germany 0.50 EUR coins are very advantaged.

Most are free of charge like on airports.

On railways stations there is no "grandma" anymore: mostly gates which accepts 0.50 EUR.

On public places sometimes such which opens the door after 0.50 EUR is inserted.

In Department Stores you'll find your "grandma" (mostly East European male mafia members...).

Alongside of highways the system changed by and by: 0.50 EUR when you enter the gate but you get a coupon which you can use when you buy something at the service station.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks, I guess I assumed since we were under the Baltics post I was okay not being specific. Sorry. I will be in Tallin, Gdansk, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Olso, St P's, and Stockholm. Do they all want euros? That isn't the currency for some.

Thanks, I guess I assumed since we were under the Baltics post I was okay not being specific. Sorry. I will be in Tallin, Gdansk, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Olso, St P's, and Stockholm. Do they all want euros? That isn't the currency for some.

Tallin, copenhagen, st P and stockholm are not on the euro at least.

Helsinki is, not sure about the others.

Tallinn

local currency is EEK

But 0.20 EUR will be o.k..

Copenhagen

local currency is DKK

But 0.50 EUR will be o.k. in Copenhagen for the "grandma" - but at the public toilets with automated gates you need DKK

Helsinki

local currency is EUR

Oslo

local currency is NOK

you better should have local currency

Stockholm

local currency is SEK

But 0.50 EUR will be o.k. in Stockholm for the "grandma" - but at the public toilets with automated gates you need SEK

St. Petersburg

local currency is RUR

But 1.00 USD bills will be o.k. (No Change - they cannot change coins against local currency!!!) for the "grandma" - therefore local currency will be better unless you really want to spend 1 USD.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We were on private tours in St. Petersburg. Denrus took us to great stores that had clean bathrooms for our breaks. But there was quite a scene at the ladies bathrooms at Peterhof. Local currency was required (collected by an attendant, and our guide provided the coins for us). There was a lot of pushing and shoving and yelling by tourists from various countries. I have often observed the differences in norms of citizens from other countries with amusement--especially those that do not queue like we do--but others on our tour and in other tour groups did not find that amusing or interesting, so be warned.

We needed local currency in coins to use the clean public restrooms at the ferry dock at the edge of Gamla Stan in Stockholm. There are many stores nearby, so you should be able to get some change. We used the restrooms at Stockman’s store in Helsinki.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Use the restrooms in museums or churches. Most of them are free of charge and are very clean. Restaurants also let their customers use restrooms.

Museum toilet queues can be quite long and you might not have the time for long waits, plus they are not as clean as most would wish. Here in St Petersburg the cleanest toilets are in gift shops and nicer restaurants, and there is no charge in either. There are pay toilets which are all about 10Rubles. I've worked for a few tour companies they provide money for unscheduled WC stops so no local currency is required. Check with your tour company if they provide money to their guides for camera and WC charges or make plans to exchange currency.

Helsinki uses the Euro and pay toilets are usually .50

I just returned from my Baltic Cruise. I consider myself an expert on public restrooms. Without exception, the public rest rooms in the ports you will be visiting were the cleanest, most civilized facilities I have ever encountered anywhere I have traveled. If I did not have local currency, I used a $1 bill and was given change in the local currency. That's probably not the most economical approach, but it certainly was convenient. There were matrons in most of the rest rooms. Although they may not have smiled, they cleaned the rest room after each use. I carried toilet seat covers and toilet paper, but never used either. Have fun. It it a great itinerary. Sandy

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes you find a nice person who holds the door open for you after they're done. But I must share this story with you: last month in Kristianstad, Norway, a lady held the door for me because I didn't have local change and it was Sunday - everything closed. I went in, the door closed, and all was dark. I used the toilet in the dark, but needed light to find the paper, so I pushed a green button and instead of the light going on, the door slid wide open! My husband got a laugh out of my embarassed face, lucky for me he was the only one standing there. These are the experiences that make funny memories.

But there was quite a scene at the ladies bathrooms at Peterhof. Local currency was required (collected by an attendant, and our guide provided the coins for us). There was a lot of pushing and shoving and yelling by tourists from various countries.

The bathroom at Peterhof was a disgrace!! The attendant stood at the door and continuously collected money but not once did she clean the bathrooms. My wife said it was the most disgusting bathroom she has ever been in. One would expect that when you pay for a bathroom it would be kept clean - not so at Peterhof. Best hold it there if you can.

Only places we paid for toilets were in Russia...2 people for $1.00 U.S. and guide took us to ones without lineups.

And also in Gdansk you will see W/C on the wall by the street names leading you to public toilets where you pay 50 cents or zloty.

You might want to take your own "charmin" as the toilet paper in Russia, Poland and Estonia is kinda "roughin it". :D

People have covered just about every country - let me speak about my own, Switzerland.

Occasionnally you are asked to pay .50c (half a franc) for the use of a loo. This is rarer and rarer however. Most are free - and clean. All department stores have free toilets. The ones at the main stations do charge upwards of 2frs - but they are "luxury" and believe me, if you need to "go" at the station you need them! Don't use the free ones in the main stations!!

Otherwise - do as we do - buy a coffee and use the loo. Have lunch, ditto. When you visit a museum - same thing. On balance Swiss public "conveniences" are much cleaner than those anywhere else, except on the French motorways!! (And they are free!!)

Archived