Taking kid's out of school for cruise: advice?

howdyall

But travel is available year-round; when you take your kids out of school to cruise, it's pretty clear that the real motivation is off-season fares, not education.

Travel may be year round, but a "families schedule" may not be. We need to schedule our "travel" around my work schedule, my Sunday School Schedule (I teach 2nd grade), DH's work schedule, DS and DD's school schedule, DS's basketball, soccer, and band schedule, and DD's dance schedule. My work schedule cuts out the first 2 weeks of every month (I am a corporate accountant) due to closing and reporting schedules. This takes out Spring Break every year since it is the first week of April. DH's schedule depends on how busy they are. He has been on mandatory OT for months and it is a struggle to get anytime off - especially in the summer.

We need to plan months in advance which is hard when you don't always know school and sports schedules that far in advance. I tried last year to schedule our cruise so the kids wouldn't miss any school over Christmas break only to have the school change the schedule right before the school year started so they ended up still missing 3 days.

I try to schedule a time that will have the least impact on everyone's busy schedules. School is just one of those schedule. The time we eventually choose will probable impact one or more of our schedules. Priority is given to mine and DH's work schedule. School next. Then Sunday School and Sports schedules.

Our "real motivation" is not "off-season fares". Each family needs to look at their own situation and their own school policies to see what will work for them. And if a families budget only allows them to cruise during "off-season" then that is part of the situation they need to take into account when scheduling a vacation.

Education is important. So is family and scheduling vacations together. We all need to create a balance that works for the situation we are in and not judge others on the decisions they make for the situations they are in.

Warm Breezes, I'm in the accounting biz too, so I hear ya @ 2 weeks a month being off-limits for vacation.

You mentioned your DD dances; what kind of dancing does she do? We've twice taken our Company kids on cruises where they got to perform in the ship's theater, which was a big thrill and alot of fun.

Travel may be year round, but a "families schedule" may not be. We need to schedule our "travel" around my work schedule, my Sunday School Schedule (I teach 2nd grade), DH's work schedule, DS and DD's school schedule, DS's basketball, soccer, and band schedule, and DD's dance schedule. My work schedule cuts out the first 2 weeks of every month (I am a corporate accountant) due to closing and reporting schedules. This takes out Spring Break every year since it is the first week of April. DH's schedule depends on how busy they are. He has been on mandatory OT for months and it is a struggle to get anytime off - especially in the summer.

We need to plan months in advance which is hard when you don't always know school and sports schedules that far in advance. I tried last year to schedule our cruise so the kids wouldn't miss any school over Christmas break only to have the school change the schedule right before the school year started so they ended up still missing 3 days.

I try to schedule a time that will have the least impact on everyone's busy schedules. School is just one of those schedule. The time we eventually choose will probable impact one or more of our schedules. Priority is given to mine and DH's work schedule. School next. Then Sunday School and Sports schedules.

Our "real motivation" is not "off-season fares". Each family needs to look at their own situation and their own school policies to see what will work for them. And if a families budget only allows them to cruise during "off-season" then that is part of the situation they need to take into account when scheduling a vacation.

Education is important. So is family and scheduling vacations together. We all need to create a balance that works for the situation we are in and not judge others on the decisions they make for the situations they are in.

Very Nicely Stated, Warm Breezes!
:)

I have lurked over all threads pertaining to this, and have never weighed in. This one seems to be the calmest, so if I may slightly hijack...

DH and I planned this coming cruise in February to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We were married in St Thomas in February of '98. (Not important, just like to talk about it:p) Anywho, we are going with a good amount of the group that was with us that happy day. My in-laws, who were going to watch my son for the week, later decided they would like to join us. This meant DS, 6, would need to come with us. My first thoughts were simply selfish, and I thought my vacation was flat-lining. The more I looked into it, reading on the family board and the like, I don't think I want to go without him!!!!! Never once, until I came across one of these threads did the school thing ever cross my mind. No, I'm not a bad parent. Just didn't think about it. He is in 1st grade this year. Of course every parent thinks their kid is a super student. I'm no different. Is he? Probably not. But he does fine. We read every day. Tonight was his 4th day of school. We sat down for the 4th afternoon when we got home and did his "homework". Will 5 days missed of this in February scar him academically for life? Probably not. Will it put him behind for a while. I'm betting on it. DH works very hard. He likes to travel in the winter, helps him get over the "it's crappy in Ohio blues" Can't say I disagree. It's our 10th anniversary, which if I can say so is pretty cool. We have 10-12 other couples roped into this trip. We're not canceling. DS and I will have some hefty make up work to do upon our return. I know it will be worth it. I can't wait to make the memories.

JMHO...I don't intend on making this cruise a "learning experience" for my son. Maybe it will work out that way somehow, but I don't see it. We will be playing in the H2O Zone, dressing up for dinner, swimming with the stingrays, playing putt-putt, and ice skating. OK, maybe the stingrays are on the cusp of educational...

I don't know if I made any kind of point here, just needed to share some thoughts. I'm prepared for whatever you guys are gonna give me:p

I have lurked over all threads pertaining to this, and have never weighed in. This one seems to be the calmest, so if I may slightly hijack...

DH and I planned this coming cruise in February to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We were married in St Thomas in February of '98. (Not important, just like to talk about it:p) Anywho, we are going with a good amount of the group that was with us that happy day. My in-laws, who were going to watch my son for the week, later decided they would like to join us. This meant DS, 6, would need to come with us. My first thoughts were simply selfish, and I thought my vacation was flat-lining. The more I looked into it, reading on the family board and the like, I don't think I want to go without him!!!!! Never once, until I came across one of these threads did the school thing ever cross my mind. No, I'm not a bad parent. Just didn't think about it. He is in 1st grade this year. Of course every parent thinks their kid is a super student. I'm no different. Is he? Probably not. But he does fine. We read every day. Tonight was his 4th day of school. We sat down for the 4th afternoon when we got home and did his "homework". Will 5 days missed of this in February scar him academically for life? Probably not. Will it put him behind for a while. I'm betting on it. DH works very hard. He likes to travel in the winter, helps him get over the "it's crappy in Ohio blues" Can't say I disagree. It's our 10th anniversary, which if I can say so is pretty cool. We have 10-12 other couples roped into this trip. We're not canceling. DS and I will have some hefty make up work to do upon our return. I know it will be worth it. I can't wait to make the memories.

JMHO...I don't intend on making this cruise a "learning experience" for my son. Maybe it will work out that way somehow, but I don't see it. We will be playing in the H2O Zone, dressing up for dinner, swimming with the stingrays, playing putt-putt, and ice skating. OK, maybe the stingrays are on the cusp of educational...

I don't know if I made any kind of point here, just needed to share some thoughts. I'm prepared for whatever you guys are gonna give me:p

NO FLAMING HERE!!!! :p

Congrates on the 10 years of marriage!:) I am sure you all~SON included will have a blast!!!:D

Well for my dd, still in elementary, a very good student, I don't have a problem taking her out of school for a couple days for a family committment or vacation.

In fact, up to 5 days can be excused in our school district for vacations. There are certain times of year (i.e. standardized state testing days) in which it is frowned upon to plan a vacation, but otherwise it's no big deal.

Frankly, if it weren't excused, I would probably do it anyway on occasions. They can hold my dd back a grade over my cold dead body!

Warm Breezes, I'm in the accounting biz too, so I hear ya @ 2 weeks a month being off-limits for vacation.

You mentioned your DD dances; what kind of dancing does she do? We've twice taken our Company kids on cruises where they got to perform in the ship's theater, which was a big thrill and alot of fun.

My DD would love to dance in the ship's theater. Being from Michigan, I think our dance company would have a hard time getting a group together to do a cruise. DD is 10 and competes in tap, jazz and production. She has entered the talent show on Disney Magic and Carnival Elation and is getting ready to dance in the talent show on the Norwegian Jewel. She has been putting a tap routine together since she found out that she will be allowed to tap in the talent show. Tap is her favorite type of dance.

I used to worry about taking my daughter out of school but then the Commonwealth Games came to Australia (the British Empire version of the Olympics) and it was one of those 'once in a lifetime' opportunities to go for a week. My daughter's teacher thought it was a great idea and asked that she send an email every couple of days telling the class what she saw. When she came back she had to do a presentation to the class (she was 8 at the time) and catch up on her work within 2 weeks.

This year she will be missing school for one week while we go on a European cruise. Again, her teacher said she would learn an incredible amount and rather than give her homework before hand (she will have to catch up on her return) he asked her to keep a journal and prepare a report on for him to read on her return. (she is now 10 years old)

I probably wouldn't take her out of school during high school (which in Australia is when they are 12 - 17) because there is just too much work to miss out on, but while they are young, eager to learn and actually wanting to hang out with their parents I say why not! As long as it has some educational aspect (no flames please, but I wouldn't take her out of school to hang out at a beach for a week even though many of her friends have done just that)

Well for my dd, still in elementary, a very good student, I don't have a problem taking her out of school for a couple days for a family committment or vacation.

In fact, up to 5 days can be excused in our school district for vacations. There are certain times of year (i.e. standardized state testing days) in which it is frowned upon to plan a vacation, but otherwise it's no big deal.

Frankly, if it weren't excused, I would probably do it anyway on occasions. They can hold my dd back a grade over my cold dead body!

But just remember, if your daughter's school changes its policy, or if she has to go to a different school for whatever reason, they might want to hold her back a grade for missing school, and you probably won't have any recourse. Again, I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong, since you are following the rules of her school. Just saying that there may come a time where you might not be able to do that anymore, and they will hold her back a grade, even if it seems unfair. One thing I learned is that schools are unfair, and have basically unlimited power.

I will be flat-out honest and say that off season prices absolutely are part of my decision when to vacation. The more I can save on one vacation, the more likely I can take my son on another! He is almost 11 years old, which means I have 7 years left before he perhaps goes to college or at least enters the workforce, and our time together will become limited. I want to fit as many wonderful vacations in that time as I possibly can, while still putting an emphasis on excelling in school and extracurricular activities, such as music and sports. I want him to see and experience other cultures and environments, which can only help him with his school learning in reading, science, and social studies. Yes, you can do it all, if you are willing to give it the proper attention. When my son is raising his own family, I want him to be able to look back and remember excellent examples of both hard work and extensive family time, and not be afraid to take his children to unfamiliar places and meet different people.

As it happens, we have a cruise the last week of this month. I spoke to both his teachers last night at open house, and they were very excited for him, and did not forsee any problems with his absence in regards to making up his work. Next week, I will visit the attendance office for the third time in three years, and will request the form needed for when we "visit sick family in the islands {wink wink}".

One last point - making up work before/after being out of school on a vacation teaches children that there are consequences for their actions. They can choose to be a part of the fun of vacation, but it doesn't absolve them of their school responsibilities. This is an excellent lesson for the future when they will have to choose their priorities by assessing the consequences of their choices.

I will be flat-out honest and say that off season prices absolutely are part of my decision when to vacation. The more I can save on one vacation, the more likely I can take my son on another! He is almost 11 years old, which means I have 7 years left before he perhaps goes to college or at least enters the workforce, and our time together will become limited. I want to fit as many wonderful vacations in that time as I possibly can, while still putting an emphasis on excelling in school and extracurricular activities, such as music and sports. I want him to see and experience other cultures and environments, which can only help him with his school learning in reading, science, and social studies. Yes, you can do it all, if you are willing to give it the proper attention. When my son is raising his own family, I want him to be able to look back and remember excellent examples of both hard work and extensive family time, and not be afraid to take his children to unfamiliar places and meet different people..

I truely agree!!!! The prices of the off-season cruise travel (or DISNEY, for that matter!) ABSOLUTELY are the reason we choose to go then!!!! I know some have said if you can afford it; then you shouldn't go at all, but I do NOT agree. We surely can afford the extra $1500-$2000 it would be to take all 4 of us in the peak times, BUT, then we would only be able to cruise/vacation (at all) every 2 years...And yes, I woyuld rather go more often.....

[/color]As it happens, we have a cruise the last week of this month. I spoke to both his teachers last night at open house, and they were very excited for him, and did not forsee any problems with his absence in regards to making up his work. Next week, I will visit the attendance office for the third time in three years, and will request the form needed for when we "visit sick family in the islands {wink wink}".

One last point - making up work before/after being out of school on a vacation teaches children that there are consequences for their actions. They can choose to be a part of the fun of vacation, but it doesn't absolve them of their school responsibilities. This is an excellent lesson for the future when they will have to choose their priorities by assessing the consequences of their choices.

I am glad you have never had any problems. When my son missed out on the first 4 days of school, I felt bad, but his principal & teacher were both excited for him and assured me he was missing nothing...(LOL...REALLY! He's in Kindergarten!) DD was taken to Disney 18 months ago whe she was in Kindergarten and missed a who week of school in February. Then again, both principal and teacher were excited for her and she received her work before leaving.

Now, in my personal opinion, Disney might not be as 'educational' as a cruise could be concidered, (since one can see different countries, nationalities etc.) but hey...it can be what you make it! :rolleyes:

I'm one of the lucky Canadians who has had no challenge with taking my daughter (now 9 - grade 4) out of school for a week or two each year. I always advise the principal and her teachers that she will be absent and I always let them know that she will be reading and writing a small journal while she's away. What I never do, though, is justify the absence by saying that she will be experiencing different cultures and mind-expanding, life-enhancing activities.

Let's get real here folks. I've read through 3 of the 4 pages on this thread and from what I can gather almost everyone is referring to cruises to Mexico or visits to Disney. Maybe your Disney and Mexico experiences were much more awe-inspiring than mine? All I had was a lot of fun in the sun and all she did was beg to stay at Kids Club all day, every day. Yes, we took bus tours into the Mexican countryside and yes, we visited Epcot but, do I count these, really? No. I feel that, as many people have already said, you need to do what you feel is right for you and your child. Just don't justify it by saying that they will be "experiencing the world". The "World" is a very big place, MUCH larger than North America.

Oh, by the way, we did take our daughter around the world for 6 months when she was two, spent two months in NZ when she was 4, spent time in Spain and Turkey when she was 5, and went to Europe last year for 3 weeks when she was 8. I realize how lucky we've been to be able to do it because that, to me, is cultural exposure.

Okay, bring on the flames!

... What I never do, though, is justify the absence by saying that she will be experiencing different cultures and mind-expanding, life-enhancing activities.

....Maybe your Disney and Mexico experiences were much more awe-inspiring than mine? All I had was a lot of fun in the sun and all she did was beg to stay at Kids Club all day, every day. Yes, we took bus tours into the Mexican countryside and yes, we visited Epcot but, do I count these, really? No. I feel that, as many people have already said, you need to do what you feel is right for you and your child. Just don't justify it by saying that they will be "experiencing the world". The "World" is a very big place, MUCH larger than North America.

Sorry, NO FLAMES HERE!!!!! :eek: I really didn't justfy our trip to say the were learning as I certainly see both of my kiddos begging to stay in CC all day. I will probably have them write in a journal each day and may have them learn a little about the countries we will be visiting. Just saying although maybe not ming-changing, it is just differnce in culture...even if only in n/s america...

• Administrators
I'm one of the lucky Canadians who has had no challenge with taking my daughter (now 9 - grade 4) out of school for a week or two each year. I always advise the principal and her teachers that she will be absent and I always let them know that she will be reading and writing a small journal while she's away. What I never do, though, is justify the absence by saying that she will be experiencing different cultures and mind-expanding, life-enhancing activities.

Let's get real here folks. I've read through 3 of the 4 pages on this thread and from what I can gather almost everyone is referring to cruises to Mexico or visits to Disney. Maybe your Disney and Mexico experiences were much more awe-inspiring than mine? All I had was a lot of fun in the sun and all she did was beg to stay at Kids Club all day, every day. Yes, we took bus tours into the Mexican countryside and yes, we visited Epcot but, do I count these, really? No. I feel that, as many people have already said, you need to do what you feel is right for you and your child. Just don't justify it by saying that they will be "experiencing the world". The "World" is a very big place, MUCH larger than North America.

Oh, by the way, we did take our daughter around the world for 6 months when she was two, spent two months in NZ when she was 4, spent time in Spain and Turkey when she was 5, and went to Europe last year for 3 weeks when she was 8. I realize how lucky we've been to be able to do it because that, to me, is cultural exposure.

No flames from me, but then I'm a teacher. :) I agree with you (as I said in my post above back on page 2). Family vacations have their own value, no question, but whether it is an educational value depends almost 100% on the parent and what they make of their child's time on the cruise. Onessa's post, for example. Her child is one who truly grows intellectually and academically by her travel, because her mom makes sure it happens.

As I also said before, I don't know many teachers (me included) who will engage in a set-to with parents intent upon removing a child for vacation (even with comments like the above concerning a "wink-wink" on forms that a relative in the islands is sick :rolleyes:). It's too important that the parent and teacher work together for the children.

I don't actually have a personal stake in this question (other than the hours of my personal time I spend to help children who are absent for ANY reason catch up -- I do that gladly; it's for the child's benefit and part of my job). However, I saw the quote below and experienced a real pang. Since I'm a teacher, we can ONLY travel when the kids are out of school. Period. So we can only cruise or take a nice trip once every 2 years.

"We surely can afford the extra $1500-$2000 it would be to take all 4 of us in the peak times, BUT, then we would only be able to cruise/vacation (at all) every 2 years...And yes, I woyuld rather go more often"

It's funny how debates/discussions on these boards go. One of the most heated threads lately concerned a teacher suggesting teacher discounts during the summer months, since that's the only time we can travel. She was scorched by flames about how teachers get so much time off, and yada yada yada. But those who take their kids from school because it's so much cheaper in the off season (something teachers cannot do) ALSO experience flaming. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, or the grass is always greener, or something. :)

Not a flame, just a little difference of opinon :) I do think our cruises to Mexico have more value than just the fun we have - which is priceless on its own - but my girls and I meet people who look and speak different than us (well, different than me, my girls are bi-lingual) and who certainly live different lives. I'm still haunted and humbled by a joyful elderly woman selling items in Cabo while caring for her severely handicapped grandson, who was too proud to accept a small amount of money from me (so we bought things instead, and the girls shared their toys with the boy). And it's one way that I hope my girls will remember that there are tougher life situations that not having the "in" clothes or winning the who-can-throw-the-biggest-child-birthday-party competition.

I do agree that it's a great big world, far beyond North America - and we'll get there, but there's nothing wrong with starting with Mexico. I used to joke that my husband was in a race to meet every person on the face of the earth, and I think my daughters have inherited that trait, but we're starting off close to home until they're a little older and we can better afford it. I envy your farther travels with your child!

Happy travels to everyone,

Mia

This thread is really interesting and sad some that very closed minded people bash others for their parenting choices!

We have two Children, ages 12 & 8. EVERY single year that they have been in School we have taken a Vacation or two. Many years to Disneyland in November (during school) for a week at a time, OR since the last couple years, taken a Cruise. We have always taken them out without thinking twice about missing school. We go when the time is right for my Husbands Job and when its affordable to us as a family. We have asked in ADVANCE, gotten "Pre-Arranged" absense requests taken care of, had the Teachers issue us work missed to be completed prior to returning and it has never been a problem. In fact, our School district in Las Vegas gives you (10) pre-arranged days PER SCHOOL YEAR. For times like that, when your child is NOT sick, but needs to be somewhere other than school. Those are not combined with excused illness or unplanned events such as Funerals. This is the first I have heard of any school system having a problem with it. They only time they don't appreciate your child missing school is when you don't get it Pre-Arranged. Then it becomes un-excused. They always know where we will be going, I write it on the note! The only response we ever get is "Oh man, lucky kids" Or "Have Fun!!"

How sad that people are expected to not Vacation when the time is right for their family. Not everyone can or wants to go during the HOT, overpriced, overcrowed summertime.

BTW: Our kids are not in Private school, but are apart of the Public Education with Clark County School District in Las Vegas, NV.

However, I saw the quote below and experienced a real pang. Since I'm a teacher, we can ONLY travel when the kids are out of school. Period. So we can only cruise or take a nice trip once every 2 years.

"We surely can afford the extra $1500-$2000 it would be to take all 4 of us in the peak times, BUT, then we would only be able to cruise/vacation (at all) every 2 years...And yes, I woyuld rather go more often"

It's funny how debates/discussions on these boards go. One of the most heated threads lately concerned a teacher suggesting teacher discounts during the summer months, since that's the only time we can travel. She was scorched by flames about how teachers get so much time off, and yada yada yada. But those who take their kids from school because it's so much cheaper in the off season (something teachers cannot do) ALSO experience flaming. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, or the grass is always greener, or something. :)

I would support a teacher discount, but just as that, being a teacher and being off only in the summer (peak travel time) is an 'occupational hazard' if you will; I can see that in MANY jobs time is hard to get off; as well, MANY jobs do not allow employes off in peak travel times such as my DH (he works automotive/truck repair/detail, etc and 60-80 hours a week~AT LEAST!!!) and my last job frowned up any vacation (hum...don't know why we even need those 10 days off a year...)because that meant they would have to get someone to cover my shift...(aka the boss). Now, my new/current job I schedule patients myself, so I can just not schedule any for a week and just not get paid...Just like the office will be doing for the Christmas/New Years Holiday Season.

My only question, (NOT A FLAME!):cool: is that why are teachers not able to take their sick days for a cruise? My SIL is a HS English teacher at a Rural Kansas School and she was scheduled to take a 7 day (miss 5 days/week of teaching) but then ended up canceling because of a $$ situation. So, I am guessing she must get more vacation time than most or she was taking without pay...

I don't have a problem with teacher discounts, and I especially don't have a problem with teachers taking vacations during the school year. I suppose if the district the teacher works in doesn't allow it, then it is up to the teacher to decide if that is an acceptable side effect of working there.

I also believe that there is a lot to learn on vacations just from the people you come into contact with, and also, watching how your parents deal with new places, people, and situations. Even the long lines at Disney can teach patience and that gratification is not always instant :D. Certainly some trips are more "educational" than others, but spending time with my son in all sorts of settings is of paramount importance to me.

Not a flame' date=' just a little difference of opinon :) I do think our cruises to Mexico have more value than just the fun we have - which is priceless on its own - but my girls and I meet people who look and speak different than us (well, different than me, my girls are bi-lingual) and who certainly live different lives. I'm still haunted and humbled by a joyful elderly woman selling items in Cabo while caring for her severely handicapped grandson, who was too proud to accept a small amount of money from me (so we bought things instead, and the girls shared their toys with the boy). And it's one way that I hope my girls will remember that there are tougher life situations that not having the "in" clothes or winning the who-can-throw-the-biggest-child-birthday-party competition.

I do agree that it's a great big world, far beyond North America - and we'll get there, but there's nothing wrong with starting with Mexico. I used to joke that my husband was in a race to meet every person on the face of the earth, and I think my daughters have inherited that trait, but we're starting off close to home until they're a little older and we can better afford it. I envy your farther travels with your child!

Happy travels to everyone,

Mia[/quote']

Mia, you sound like a very caring and sharing person. I had no intention of suggesting that a trip to Mexico was any less important than anywhere else. The values you are instilling in your children are wonderful and are the same ones that we strive to impart to our daughter every day, not just when travelling. Every day you can expose your children to "different" people/places/things. Whether it's through food, books, visiting a hospital, embracing other religions, sharing, teaching them to sing happy birthday in 4 different languages, and on and on, every day at home can be the same as on the road. If it's tough situations that need addressing then we'll talk with her about the homeless on the streets in our very own small town. It's all what you make of it.

You are not the average poster on this thread and since I can not possibly quote and respond to each individual, I'm afraid all that was open to me was a generalization. I hope that my point was not lost on those for whom it was intended.

I don't have a problem with teacher discounts, and I especially don't have a problem with teachers taking vacations during the school year. I suppose if the district the teacher works in doesn't allow it, then it is up to the teacher to decide if that is an acceptable side effect of working there.

I also believe that there is a lot to learn on vacations just from the people you come into contact with, and also, watching how your parents deal with new places, people, and situations. Even the long lines at Disney can teach patience and that gratification is not always instant :D. Certainly some trips are more "educational" than others, but spending time with my son in all sorts of settings is of paramount importance to me.[/quote]

ALL VERY NICELY STATED!!!!:D

I AGREE 100%!!!!!!!!!!:)

• Administrators

Oh aieee! I wasn't trying to mix two hot button issues into one big flame! This has been one of the more civil discussions of this issue -- I more was just "musing" on how various aspects of the same issue can be equally provocative here on the boards! Personally, I don't take time off during the school year (barring my own serious/contagious illness) because writing sub plans to allow my kids to keep moving ahead in my absence takes just about hour-for-hour as long as the time I need off! :) I really do think parents know their kids best, and I don't second guess them -- it's still wise to know your district's policies on absences and make up work, however.

momo, as a former teacher, we are allowed 12 sick days per year, and you can only take 3 at a time, and if you take more than that, you have to have a doctor's excuse. Another reason teacher's don't use their sick time for vacations is because they bank those days until retirement. In some cases, they use that time to buy back pensions and in other cases they use it towards partial health insurance payents once they retire.

The ONLY problem I have, as a former teacher, is when parents say, "they learn so much more on a cruise than they would in a week in the classroom". I absolutely hate that remark. It teaches children that what goes on in a classroom is worthless. So PLEASE, parents. Don't impart that attitude on your children. Everything taught in a classroom has worth. We have enough problems teaching today's children without them bringing an attitude that you parents impart on them----that what we do in a week in a classroom isn't nearly as good as what goes on during a cruise. That's just a bad thing parents teach their kids.

Let's get real here folks. I've read through 3 of the 4 pages on this thread and from what I can gather almost everyone is referring to cruises to Mexico or visits to Disney. Maybe your Disney and Mexico experiences were much more awe-inspiring than mine? All I had was a lot of fun in the sun and all she did was beg to stay at Kids Club all day, every day. Yes, we took bus tours into the Mexican countryside and yes, we visited Epcot but, do I count these, really? No. I feel that, as many people have already said, you need to do what you feel is right for you and your child. Just don't justify it by saying that they will be "experiencing the world".

Well put. A 3-hour excursion in a cruise port city is NOT cultural exposure, or experiencing the world. It's cheesy tourism at best. Which is fine; but don't kid yourself, it's not educational. Your daughter, on the other hand, really has experienced life in NZ, etc, which IS educational.

For those who take kids out of school to cruise: Do you even think about how it affects anyone else? What if every kid in the class took a week off to cruise? How much do you think that would slow down the entire class over the course of the school year? How about the teacher? Does it bother you at all that he/she has extra work to accomodate your off-season vacation? Maybe you don't think it's much, but multiply it by 30.

*puts on fire-resistant suit*

Archived