Taking kid's out of school for cruise: advice?

howdyall

I am taking my first grader out for a one week cruise. I really didn't think it was a big deal (1st grade!!!). I was told by a friend that works at our I.S.D. that he can be held back a grade,I will go to prison and we will all be forced to eat brussel sprouts! (okay,maybe a slight exageration)

She said that we can get in ALOT of trouble. What do you think?

First check your school policy. If ok with them then no problem. I have taken my children out of school almost every year for cruises and vacations. My oldest son only had problems last year in 7th grade when he was out for three days and the majority of his teachers waited until he came back to give him his make up work instead of before he left. He wouldn't have had a problem if they had given it to him ahead of time since he had a week of Christmas break after we came back from our trip when he could have done it. They will be missing two days this year so hopefully he won't have to much of a problem. I am doubting we will take time out when they are in high school though. It seems to get harder as they get older. Do it now while they are still young and not have as much to make up.

We've done that on multiple occasions. Of course, I have to preface all my comments by saying that EVERY child is different and EVERY school and/or school principal seems to have a different policy on this.

IMHO the experiences a child gains from travelling to a different culture and interacting with people from different backgrounds is an education in and of itself. Make sure that wherever you go you try to incorporate some sort of "learning" into the vacation. You could even do that ahead of time by helping your child look up the places you plan to go and print out pictures. We've made "books" which include photos and facts we found on the "net" and from travel brochures, and then had our kids (at your child's age, they could dictate to you) write what they did and saw at each of our stops. You can then turn this in to the teacher and usually they will really appreciate the effort you and your child went to.

The downside ... it does create extra work for the teacher to pull all the work your child will miss while gone and package it up for you. Be sure you communicate well with them ahead of time and afterwards to make sure your child stays on track.

I would also suggest that if your child has any difficulty at school (learning-wise) it might not be the best idea ... but, for my family, cruising during the school year has been an excellent way to spend time together as a family (we can't always get away from work during the summer months) and work with our children and their teachers to supplement and enhance the kids learning experiences.

We had to play-up the educational aspect of the cruise to our school principal to get the trip approved as an 'excused' absence opposed to an 'unexcused' absence. Too many unexcused absences can get you into trouble, which I think your friend was refering to.

My DD was also in 1st grade at the time. Her teacher gave her some work to take with her. Unlike an older student, kids at this age need help with their homework, so it took up my time as well as hers. We were on vacation to relax and I found it frustrating to say, "You have to get your homework done before dinner!" She also had more makeup work for several days after we got back.

We went during school to save $$ over peak travel times, but the money saved was not worth it IMHO.

Talk to your principal. In some districts, namely ours, you cannot take a child out of school without an excused absence and vacations aren't excused absences. Teachers cannot give make up tests and any work not submitted is scored an F. This is because of the No Child Left Behind Act. Some districts interpret the law strictly and some do not. But, being in 1st grade shouldn't be a problem with missed work. It's when you get into the higher grades that missing a week could have a huge negative effect on the child. In those grades if you miss lessons that are the basis for later learning, many children have a very hard time catching up.

I did it several times when my kids were growing up. The issue is excused absence and making up the homework. I don’t know about other states, but in California if your child is not in school, the school loses money. If they make up all the work that they would have done if there, the school must somehow get around it and they receive the credit. However, they had to do ALL the homework or receive credit for none of it.

I got as much done as possible before we got to the ship. LA to FLL – long plane ride, great time to do math. One year the Italian guys in the restaurant were helping my DD do her Spanish. They’d flock to the table to see what help she needed each night.

One teacher gave my DS an assignment to measure the distance from your elbow to your wrist on several people and compare. In the US that equates to shoe size. We borrowed a ruler from the CD, and measured lots of employees. Unfortunately, the rule is US and we measured guys from all over the world. We got the results, they just didn’t match her expectations. She laughed.

I agree, it’s the best education to see the places in person. I had a teacher complain when I wanted to take my DS out of first grade (this was in BC) the second to last week of school. I asked for homework, she refused to give me any and basically told me what a terrible parent I was for taking him out of school. I looked her right in the eye and asked her exactly what she could teach a 6 YO that would benefit him more then going to Alaska and seeing all the nature and history that that state had to offer. She said nothing. My opinion, she was jealous. He loved Alaska.

This would be an unexcused absence (vacations are stated in the policy) from my local school district. Teachers would not be required to allow the student to make up the work and they could get a zero for each missed day. Most teachers would probably allow the work to be made up but they don't have to.

One poster complained that the teachers wouldn't give the homework before. It might be easier for you but maybe not for the teachers.

I have been researching this topic here on these boards for a while. Someone posted that you can ask the school for "Independent Study" for your child if they are going to be out for a week or more. If they are on "independent study" then the school district does not consider them absent. At least in the Los Angeles Unifed School District, this means that the school still gets the money for your child being there - which tends to make the principal much happier with your child being out for a week.:rolleyes:

Anyway, that is my plan for when I pull my 1st grader out for a week in October, and I'll report back what my results are (I'm going to wait a couple of weeks for her to get settled into the school before asking, since she's a brand new student there).

I'm also going to tell a little while lie and say that this trip is a work-related thing, since in some of the paperwork I got from the School District, it listed time off to attend a parent's work conference as an EXCUSED absence. Heck it IS work-related - I need a break from work!:p

My school district has 10 educational excused days a year and we make full use of it. How more educational can you get having your children visit 4 different countries?

This december they will be out for two weeks . It took a lot of thought but decided they will be getting soooo much more out of this in Dec then sitting there doing busy work getting ready for Christmas.

As of now,2nd grade my kids are doing GREAT in school. well above where they need to be. I also agree that it should depend on how the child is doing in school. If things get tougher over the next few years we wont be taking them out like this.

This is a hot topic that has been discussed before on this board. Some of the comments have been nasty, so be prepared that you might've opened a can of worms!

That being said, I have always taken my sons out of school for vacation. They will learn more in one week on vacation than they would learn in a classroom.

You really have to do what's right for your family.

Good luck!

Talk with the teacher and the school principal. You don't have your location listed but I have read here before (in one of those hot debates that abitaturbodog mentioned) that some school districts won't excuse family vacations as absences. Especially in California.

My kids are in preschool and 2nd grade. They attend a private school so I don't have the same problems that others mention. The principal and teachers are very understanding.

Once I asked the principal "Are you sure it's ok to take the kids on cruises during the school year?" She said "Yeah why wouldn't it be, we know where they are." :D

I know teachers work hard. I know the teachers feel like the kids have to make up so much work when the kids miss school. And that gives extra work to the teachers.

So I guess you need to talk to the teachers.

Wow I cant believe that some states or districts have problems with childeren learning about other cultures. Sure cruises are fun but how can you not learn ? Even when you dont realize it you are taking in new info.

We are in PA . We are planing on moving to Florida in the next few years . I will be looking in to the school vacation policies. That might change alot of things. There is no better education then hand on. We also find out what the different places need for schools and try to get togather some things to take to the children. Nothing more rewarding. :)

Our school district allows six unexcused within a semester or 12 total for the school year.

They also allow an absence may be excused and work may be made up but will count toward the 12 allowable absences WHEN it is demonstrated to the satisfaction of the superintendent of the school district that the purpose of the absence is to take advantage of a valid eductational opportunity such as travel including vacations and other family travel. Completion of a Valid Educational Opportunity Form is required prior to the absence.

My daughter's teachers are a little bit jealous (small town) but are glad they can travel. While they will not give the makeup work in advance, it will be available when they get back to school.

I am timing this trip on Sunday to coincide with the holiday to at least reduce one day. They are also going with us Oct 11. That trip matched perfectly with a Fall break the school has and they will not miss any school.

Dave

And we are leaving this Sunday on the Legend. I spoke personally with the teachers, and typed up letters to my children's Principal and teachers- I just used a template that was in Excel- and personalized it.

The Principal sent back a note and said that the girls are allowed 5 absences a year due to family vacations/events.

The girls were sent home without any homework, so I'm assuming that we are going to have to make the work up when we return.

It was never a big deal before...but I see it getting harder and harder every year.

• Administrators

The world has changed since I was in school. I'm a teacher now. Back in the day, "exposure" to a "wonderful learning opportunity about another culture" was considered educational and valuable. Public schools now (private schools are a whole different animal) are ALL about NCLB and performance on state testing. Curricula for each grade level are VERY specific... by the time a child leaves X grade he/she should know Y things. We teachers "bust it" during the school year planning instruction to be sure each child can meet that criteria, to the best of our ability. The US is behind much of the rest of the "first world" in academic achievement, which is telling a tale in overall economic competitiveness -- that has meant that achievement standards in the US have begun pushing down things which used to be considered "upper level" to lower grades in the US. We introduce multiplication theory in first grade now, for example.

For all that some members of the public at large (hopefully a SMALL percent!) think teachers are "lazy" and "those who can do; those who can't teach" I don't know any teacher, including myself, who doesn't go the extra mile to help ALL of our students achieve the goals for the year, regardless of circumstance (illness, family vacation (the kids don't book those trips!), etc.). Still, it's awfully hard to try to help a student catch up on the carefully-planned and -presented lessons I can't repeat, due to the need to continue on to the next standard.

MOST teachers, presented with a parent saying "we are going to Y place this week, what work can you give us?" aren't going to argue the wisdom of pulling the child out -- the decision has been made. In fact, I don't know any teacher who would get into a big brouhaha with a parent determined to take a child out for a vacation -- it's not worth alienating the parent -- we are supposed to work together for the good of the child and the school year is far more than one week long.

After reading tons of acrimonious posts here, I have come down to this. You know your child, and if you are honest with yourself about their needs/abilities, which decision is right for you and yours should be obvious. A child who struggles with new material and needs a ton of support to make connections and expand their learning is going to suffer from such an absence far more than a child who grasps everything instantly and is an avid learner. Also, be honest about the trip -- a child who visits another country but spends the entire trip in the ship's pool, at the kid's club, or visiting beaches totally interchangeable with any in Florida is not actually having a great "learning" experience -- they might have a great family vacation, which has its own value, but it's not "educational."

Check your local district policies -- excessive unexcused absences in many areas (and family vacations frequently are classed as unexcused) CAN result in retention, regardless of the child's abilities. Talk candidly to your child's teacher about your child and whether they as a learner would be harmed by the absence you anticipate. If after that you decide to go, make sure your child does complete any work assigned, even at the expense of a nighttime show or a pool visit. Extend your child's learning -- in first grade, telling time to the hour and half hour is a standard, and so is recognizing the value of various coins -- take down times to make a game of "identify the coin" or "what time will it be in one hour."

Nobody here on an anonymous message board can validate your choice -- only you can, based on your child. I hope this post has at least helped give a little guidance as to how to make the decision.

What is your district's policy regarding vacation?

In our district, it's unexcused. Knowing that, we've still pulled our kids out of school a total of three days over the years. We informed the teachers in advance and apologized for any inconvenience, asking for their cooperation. All were helpful and nonjudgmental (at least to us!) and allowed the kids to make up the missed work.

I think if you're truthful and polite, most teachers will work with you in your kids' best interest.

I'd caution against lying about the absence, as inevitably children reveal the truth about what's going on at home. :p And really, do we want to show our kids that lying is the way to go?

Good luck and have a great trip!

We will be leaving in two weeks for another family cruise.. As far as school is concerned, my super 14 yr old son Joshua will be going with us and yes.. he will be missing a week of school. We have done this before with our two older children with no problems.. In our small school. even the teachers are jelous that we can afford to take our children cruising. Josh always comes back with fantastic pictures, stories, and trinkets that he takes right to school, so he has visited another country, seen a part of the world most people only dream about, and learns new social skills meeting new friends and cultures.

No differant than taking the first day of hunting season off to go hunt with your father when your young, in my day it was an excused absence for that.

Final thought is it is up to the parent.. I will not say if it is right or wrong, but I would rather my child see the world than stay in school while they could be experiencing something they will Never forget.

We are taking our first grade daughter and fifth grade son to Alaska this week. This is the second time we took them on a cruise in September. I contacted both teachers as soon as I could and both teachers were very cooperative with our vacation. Both teachers said they will collect the work they miss and send it home when we returned. My daughters teacher sent a note home to have fun and my sons teacher handed him an assignment envelope Friday as he left school, he was worried what he needed to do on the cruise but when he got home all that was in the envelope was a message to read a book and have fun. We have found being upfront and including the teachers as soon as possible works the best.

It's all about the money. Private Schools - no problem as tuition is the same regardless of whether your kid is in the seat or not. Public School - big deal as the state reimbursement rate is based on daily attendance.

Our district whines big time about vacation-related absences but teachers will give work packets out in advance. The parents would rebel too much if some kid was flunked based on missing school due to a vacation.

wow...we are from Ontario, Canada...and I always pull my kids out. They were gone for 2 weeks about 4 years ago...grades 2, 6, and 8. Last year two and a half weeks...grades 1 and 6. This year 3 weeks...grades 2 and 7. We have never had an issue. As long as the child catches up, and we write a letter explaining the absenses ahead of time we're fine. I'm not sure if that's just our board...english public...or if it's Country wide. It looks like there's a lot more freedom to take your kids out here.

I have a kindergartener and a 5th grader.

This may sound tacky, but my kids learn more on their vacation week off than they would have at school. Honestly, in the grand scheme of things, missing one week of school/year won't hurt them as much as experiencing different cultures and learning how to behave in social situations will help them in life.

Fortunately, our kids' teachers have been understanding so far. My 10-year old son has been inspired to do school projects based on the countries we have visited. He has even written an essay comparing how much we have in the US to how little people in countries south of us have. Would he have even considered the topic had we not taken him abroad?

Of course, if my children were having difficulty keeping up in school, I wouldn't even consider allowing them to miss class. So far, I find myself worrying that they will be bored in school. Travel stimulates minds and allows one to consider other viewpoints.

It's a shame that some parents have such trouble taking their kids out of school for travel. It's a shame that money takes precedence over personal growth.

Thank you all for your wonderful responses. I will go see his teacher on Tuesday. I have his award from last year for PERFECT attendance. I will also bring his Fantastic report cards. I hope that this will help. We live in Katy School district. It is one of the best in the country. But they are rediculously strict. I would love some help aticulating a letter to the registrar. Any great writers out there?

• Administrators
Thank you all for your wonderful responses. I will go see his teacher on Tuesday. I have his award from last year for PERFECT attendance. I will also bring his Fantastic report cards. I hope that this will help. We live in Katy School district. It is one of the best in the country. But they are rediculously strict. I would love some help aticulating a letter to the registrar. Any great writers out there?

Katy (Houston area, if I recall?) is a wonderful school system -- one reason why is probably because they are so "strict." :) The little ones, such as your first grader, don't actually do so many "worksheets" or "book work" any more -- active learning, hands-on activities, manipulatives and talking with your "team" and such, is how classrooms are run due to a boatload of research showing that this is how to create lasting learning. These days, elementary math classes frequently don't even HAVE a textbook -- we are building concepts and making connections in a concrete way, instead. One of the best books I read in grad school was called "Worksheets Don't Build Dendrites" (the little links in our brain that let us learn; children are creating them constantly).

SO, to answer your question (and do you need a letter to the registrar/district, or can you just address it with the teacher/principal?) if you want to be heard and taken seriously, you might mention in your letter your willingness to take along math manipulatives, design an "experiment" in science (for first grade, stuff like -- what happens to a plant if it doesn't receive light?), supervise a writing project for your child, report back to the class via e-mail during the trip, or similar "real-world learning" suggestions.

By all means, don't worry about it!!!

As you will find, there are some people on this board (or anywhere for that matter!) that do not, for whatever reason, tell you to NEVER take you kids out of school, and that you are being careless and inappropriatly. Others on this board, will say not to worry, that you need to do what you feel is appropriate for you and your family.:o

I being one of those, worry about taking my kids out, but in the end, it is a choice we make to be able to take our children on a vactaion. We CANNOT to cruise during peak season...it is just too much for our budget...:(

My DS just got back from Disney World 2 weeks ago with his grandparent. He missed the first 4 days of school. Last year, he and my DD had 100% perfect attendance at school, and when my parents asked about taking him to Disney (they took my DD Feb 2006)I was all for it. They had really wanted to travel the week before, but the price difference was RIDICULOUS!!!!!:eek:

After discussing it with him (for missing days of school and no perfect attendance award) and his principal & this years teacher, they traveled to Disney for 6 days of fun!!!! I did worry about how he would be upon returning to school, but he walked walked in and has been doing GREAT!!!!:cool:

Have a great cruise!!!!!!!!:D

Archived