Im so upset...please help!

JPerry

https://www.vitalchek.com/agency_locator.aspx?eventtype=birth

Benefits of VitalChek

VitalChek is a fast and convenient way to order certified government-issued vital records online. We make it easy for you to purchase the documents to which you are legally entitled. Beware of other online services that do not have relationships directly with the agencies that store your vital records. Consider these VitalChek benefits:

Trust. For almost twenty years, VitalChek has been the direct connection between citizens and the government agencies housing their certified government-issued vital records. We pioneered the industry, and our secure Web site continues that tradition, with safe and authorized document ordering and handling of electronic transactions.

Convenience. Ordering from VitalChek means that you can order a copy of your vital records from the privacy of your own home or office, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.

Speed. Our order process usually takes less than 10 minutes - much faster than waiting for a record in person. And you can usually select express courier service for even faster delivery when time is running out.

Price. Unlike almost all other remote ordering services, VitalChek sets its pricing guidelines in conjunction with the government agency, so you pay only the cost of the document and a minimal processing fee. There are no hidden or unexplained costs.

24 - 7 service with overnite express delivery..:D

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I think the poster was referring to someone at the dock in Galveston not being able to turn away a soon to be bride who is standing there with tears running down her face! Honestly, if she doesn't find a certified copy of her BC, she may need to take all the ID she DOES have, hope she gets in the line of a sympathetic woman, and pour her story out and beg for mercy!! Poor thing!! I did this same thing years ago, but only when i was going to register my oldest dd for driver's ed. I just took the hospital certificate, the one with the cute little footprint, and handed it to the instructor, only to be told that it was not a certified copy!:eek: I had had NO idea that it was just a souvinir from the hospital!! She didn't get to register for driver's ed, had to wait for the next session, and she was so mad at me!! I felt so bad, but i honestly didn't know it wasn't anything useful!! Darn, now i will be worrying about the OP all weekend, hoping and praying she gets to get on the ship!!

Benefits of VitalChek

VitalChek is a fast and convenient way to order certified government-issued vital records online. We make it easy for you to purchase the documents to which you are legally entitled. Beware of other online services that do not have relationships directly with the agencies that store your vital records. Consider these VitalChek benefits:

Trust. For almost twenty years, VitalChek has been the direct connection between citizens and the government agencies housing their certified government-issued vital records. We pioneered the industry, and our secure Web site continues that tradition, with safe and authorized document ordering and handling of electronic transactions.

Convenience. Ordering from VitalChek means that you can order a copy of your vital records from the privacy of your own home or office, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.

Speed. Our order process usually takes less than 10 minutes - much faster than waiting for a record in person. And you can usually select express courier service for even faster delivery when time is running out.

Price. Unlike almost all other remote ordering services, VitalChek sets its pricing guidelines in conjunction with the government agency, so you pay only the cost of the document and a minimal processing fee. There are no hidden or unexplained costs.

but if she orders one NOW, will it get delivered to her on a Sunday? Monday is a holiday. Maybe she can call this number, explain the situation, and maybe they can rush it to her, maybe she can hire someone to pick it up for her, although that may not be legal. Poor thing, there has got to be a way for her to get that certificate!! I hope she reads that vitalcheck post soon and calls them to see what they can do! Shoot, maybe even SHE can pick up the BC from them in person somewhere, even if she has to fly to get it! I'm hoping she finds a way to make it on that ship!!:)

Benefits of VitalChek

Thanks but we are getting married on the ship this monday as in 2 days from now, there is no way to order one.

Thanks but we are getting married on the ship this monday as in 2 days from now, there is no way to order one.

Did you call them and ask them if there is ANY way to get one? Maybe they have an office close to you and you can pick it up in person!! I truly hope you will try to get a certified copy, if at all possible, because they may not let you on the ship! Of course you know that though, no need for me to remind you of that! sorry! we are all trying to help you figure this out, we want you to be on that ship monday, getting married!!:)

Vitalcheck's website has overnight delivery, but then it lists the states, and delivery days, and all of them said at least 1-2 business days! So which is it, overnight, or 1-2 business days?? They are open 24/7 so give them a call and maybe they can help you!! It's worth a try, right?

Im so upset...please help.

My fiance and I are getting married on Monday Sep. 3rd ( labor day), 2 days away on RCCL 4 night baja mexico cruise, Monarch of the Seas. We started packing and when we got in our safe to get out our birth certificates, what i thought was mine turns out to be a "Certificate of Birth" not a birth certificate :( I thought it was a birth certificate. I also have a photo copy of a certified copy of my birth certificate but it is not an original.

We are supposed to be getting married on the cruise so thats why i am so upset.

We called RCCL, they basically read us what is in our paperwork "Certificate of Birth" is not aceptable. They told us to call imigration. I called immigration and they said it will be up to the persons discretion who is letting us through.

Has anyone had any experiance with this. Some of our wedding guests say imigration can be pretty leniant, but i have never been on a cruise so i dont know.

I would hate to drive all the way to california with our 30 guests and be told we cant go on the cruise. My wedding would be ruined

Do you happen to have a passport? If you do you are safe.

I think the poster was referring to someone at the dock in Galveston not being able to turn away a soon to be bride who is standing there with tears running down her face! Honestly, if she doesn't find a certified copy of her BC, she may need to take all the ID she DOES have, hope she gets in the line of a sympathetic woman, and pour her story out and beg for mercy!! Poor thing!! I did this same thing years ago, but only when i was going to register my oldest dd for driver's ed. I just took the hospital certificate, the one with the cute little footprint, and handed it to the instructor, only to be told that it was not a certified copy!:eek: I had had NO idea that it was just a souvinir from the hospital!! She didn't get to register for driver's ed, had to wait for the next session, and she was so mad at me!! I felt so bad, but i honestly didn't know it wasn't anything useful!! Darn, now i will be worrying about the OP all weekend, hoping and praying she gets to get on the ship!!

....first......I hope tears are not the substitution for proper documents....:)

.....second......if it has a footprint on your "BC", "C of B" or whatever.....it ain't offical......;)

maybe you can call vitalcheck, get a copy ordered, show the people at the dock the receipt showing that you were able to order a copy and that you have a photocopy of the same BC, and maybe they could deliver it to someone close. Oh shoot, does the person who it is for have to sign for it, or can anyone? Maybe if you can prove that you were able to order one, that in itself is kind of proof that you DO have a birth certificate, and by the time your cruise is over the certified copy will have been deliverd and can be shown when you get off the ship. I'm grasping at straws here. My heart tells me that there is NO way someone would refuse a bride being able to get married, but i honestly think that not everyone is a softie, and they are going to follow the laws exactly! Yikes! Not sure what you should do at this point. there has to be some way to get a certified copy. Well, keep looking, and keep trying! call vitalcheck and explain the situation and see if there is ANY way they can get that thing to you faster, or maybe a friend could drive and pick it up, or something!! Not sure what state you live in, but maybe there is an emergency number for weekends, and maybe you can find someone who can help you even though it is saturday. Of course, in Texas, where I live, all courthouses link to the one in Austin, and we had our copies in 5 minutes. Maybe someone could go into the office and get you a copy, or something!! Surely someone knows someone with some clout who can help you out!

....first......I hope tears are not the substitution for proper documents....:)

.....second......if it has a footprint on your "BC", "C of B" or whatever.....it ain't offical......;)

I think the other poster was suggesting the tears thing as a last resort if she can't get a copy of her BC!:eek: You never know, it may work, but in the meantime i hope she can somehow get a certified copy of that BC!!

Without going into a long story, on my last cruise out of san juan, I was able to board by having my parents fax my birth certificate to the pier and a local notary certified it at the pier for $60. There were about a half dozen people that required his services that day. Hopefully someone at home can grab a certified copy in the morning and fax it to the pier so you can board. Good luck. It was stressful, but I got on.

Without going into a long story, on my last cruise out of san juan, I was able to board by having my parents fax my birth certificate to the pier and a local notary certified it at the pier for $60. There were about a half dozen people that required his services that day. Hopefully someone at home can grab a certified copy in the morning and fax it to the pier so you can board. Good luck. It was stressful, but I got on.

Since the OP has a copy of their certified BC, I wonder if it wouldn't be the same situation if they had a notary notarize the copy? After all, a fax is just a copy.

What the OP has might work but the workers in SJ stressed that the faxed bc had to have a seal but since it was being faxed I wasnt sure how they could tell. Its not like the notary or anyone analyzed the faxed copy thoroughly. I also had a copy of my marriage license that I thought was an official document but it is no longer being accepted as proof of citizenship. The faxed copy had to be notarized at the pier and they would not accept a faxed copy of a notarized bc. I wanted to save my money by not paying the notary from SJ and have my parents just fax a notarized copy of the bc but they wouldnt allow it. I was at their mercy so I didnt really want to argue. I would definitely call RC to confirm just to make sure.

well i guess all i can do is try :(

so you havent been able to find anyone that may have a certified copy of your BC?? No family members? It i were in this situation, i would be calling vitalcheck to see if they can do anything! Tell them you KNOW the website says it takes 2 days, 2 business days, or whatever, and just flat out ask them if there is anything that can be done so that you can get married on Monday! Surely there is something that can be done!! don't give up, you don't have time to give up! Kick it into high gear, get on the phone, start getting names of people who may be able to help you, do everything you can to get that certified copy before you show up at the ship with the other stuff and hope they will let you on!! You will need someone very sympathetic to help you, so stay calm, all is not lost, you made a mistake, you have the wrong document, you can't change ANY of that now! All you can do is work very hard to try to get that certified copy. Go about your business as if you know for sure you are getting married on that ship. Also, what is the worse that could happen if you aren't able to get on that ship? Will you be able to get married somewhere else, reschedule your cruise, etc.? Are your guests cruising or just going onboard for the wedding? Have you ever seen the tv show "House"? If not, he is a doctor, who, along with his 3 assistants, strategize on cases that are hard to solve, and they talk through all their options, ideas, etc. until finally they solve the case! I know your life is not a tv show, but you get the idea. You need your family and friends to help you figure this out! It is not fair that you should have to be worrying about all this instead of preparing for the best day of your life, but it is what you have to deal with, so get busy and find a way to get that BC!! We are pulling for you, and hoping that somehow this works out! If you can't get the BC, then go to the ship, find a sympathetic ear, and ball your eyes out if need be, and see if they will work with you! Good luck, hope my pep talk encouraged you if only a little!:)

Just take the copies of what ever they are you have and go to your bank and have them notarize those documents. The hospital one & the photocopied one...BC's come in all shapes & sizes if it's notarized I would think it would work.

There should be a bank open on Sat. I hope..

Better notarized than not.

GOOD LUCK...and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

some states issue computer generated certificates of birth that do not have, or require, a raised seal...my ,born in Maryland, have those...also, my husband, born in New York, until we had to replace his because it was falling apart, always had only a photocopy of his, and it worked fine for him when he applied for a passport....i would say check with the nearest immigration office...take them a copy of what you have....

good luck, safe trip!

Beverly

If the OP would have checked her docs weeks instead of days before the cruise/wedding there would be no problem here. In a post 9/11 world it is more important than ever to make sure one has their correct docs when traveling. Tears are no substitute for proper ID. Go ahead flame away.

I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this so close to your wedding / cruise. However, this should serve as an example to everyone. Please please please get your passports. There is no substitute for them as they are recognized worldwide as legitimate id. Due to the U.S. almost constantly changing their requirements for entry, and even though passports are not yet mandatory to travel between Canada, Mexico and some Caribbean ports, immigration officials can be difficult to deal with when you only have a birth certificate.

Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! Best wishes for many happy years together!:D

Couldn't agree more. As a British citizen I always find it hard to understand why so many US citizens seem so determined to resist getting passports. We have to have them for leaving the country anyway, but a passport is such a useful document for proving your identity.

I know they cost plenty, but they do here too, and we have no option - if we want to travel we have to have one. I've had one for more than forty years and there's no way I'd ever be without it.

However, this doesn't help the OP. I do hope she manages to get something sorted out and has a wonderful wedding.

There is no substitute for them as they are recognized worldwide as legitimate id. !:D

True, unless you forget your passport as a friend of ours did! When the newlywed couple were checking in at the Atlanta airport for their flight to the Caribbean, they realized DH had left his passport on the bedside table back home. The new bride was none too happy! They had to reschedule their flight, put off their honeymoon for a day and drive back to their hometown (3 hours away) to pick up the passport. :eek:

To the OP. All I can suggest is to get every document you have (don't forget your marriage license) and have them notarized. I think a place like Kinko can do that for you. Call your Congressman, too. He can normally get things done in a flash.

I don't need to tell you to cry a few tears, because I know you will be doing that anyway. Good luck and please send a message to us if you get on the ship.

What's happened with the bridesmaid and getting her birth certificate?

If the OP would have checked her docs weeks instead of days before the cruise/wedding there would be no problem here. In a post 9/11 world it is more important than ever to make sure one has their correct docs when traveling. Tears are no substitute for proper ID. Go ahead flame away.

Obviously we all know that, and she does too, and I'm sure she is beating herself up enough over that right now as it is. She may have to use tears only as a last resort. No one really thinks that tears are a substitute for ID. Geez...:rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more. As a British citizen I always find it hard to understand why so many US citizens seem so determined to resist getting passports. We have to have them for leaving the country anyway, but a passport is such a useful document for proving your identity.

I know they cost plenty, but they do here too, and we have no option - if we want to travel we have to have one. I've had one for more than forty years and there's no way I'd ever be without it.

However, this doesn't help the OP. I do hope she manages to get something sorted out and has a wonderful wedding.

I guess the old way of thinking, or at least MY old way of thinking was that only "world" travelers needed passports! :) I was raising 3 small kids for years, why in the world would I need a passport??;) Had i not gone on my first overseas trip back in June, and had I not discovered cruising, getting a passport would have never crossed my mind because i had never planned on traveling overseas, EVER!!:D I just wonder how many other Americans had the same thoughts. Before my trip to Paris in June, i had only flown one time in 22 years, so you could say that a passport was not at the top of my list of things to get!! I do see your point, however, and she should have checked LONG before now to make sure her travel docs were all in order. I'm hoping she can pull off some kind of miracle somehow and make it onto the ship to get married! :)

Archived