Im so upset...please help!

JPerry

Im so upset...please help.

My fiance and I are getting married on Monday Sep. 3rd ( labor day), 2 days away on RCCL 4 night baja mexico cruise, Monarch of the Seas. We started packing and when we got in our safe to get out our birth certificates, what i thought was mine turns out to be a "Certificate of Birth" not a birth certificate :( I thought it was a birth certificate. I also have a photo copy of a certified copy of my birth certificate but it is not an original.

We are supposed to be getting married on the cruise so thats why i am so upset.

We called RCCL, they basically read us what is in our paperwork "Certificate of Birth" is not aceptable. They told us to call imigration. I called immigration and they said it will be up to the persons discretion who is letting us through.

Has anyone had any experiance with this. Some of our wedding guests say imigration can be pretty leniant, but i have never been on a cruise so i dont know.

I would hate to drive all the way to california with our 30 guests and be told we cant go on the cruise. My wedding would be ruined

I just looked at my kids and theirs say Certificate of Birth, though my daughters says Certificate of Live Birth but they were born in different states. Does it say the state and have a raised seal or official seal? If yes that should be it.

Go to the post office tomorrow (they do the passports) and show it to them and see if they say it is the right thing.

My fiance and I are getting married on Monday Sep. 3rd ( labor day), 2 days away on RCCL 4 night baja mexico cruise, Monarch of the Seas. We started packing and when we got in our safe to get out our birth certificates, what i thought was mine turns out to be a "Certificate of Birth" not a birth certificate :( I thought it was a birth certificate. I also have a photo copy of a certified copy of my birth certificate but it is not an original.

We called RCCL, they basically read us what is in our paperwork "Certificate of Birth" is not aceptable. They told us to call imigration. I called immigration and they said it will be up to the persons discretion who is letting us through.

Has anyone had any experiance with this. Some of our wedding guests say imigration can be pretty leniant, but i have never been on a cruise so i dont know.

I would hate to drive all the way to california with our 30 guests and be told we cant go on the cruise. My wedding would be ruined

I just checked my childrens' that we have used on two cruises for them and theirs say "Certificate of birth" and has a raised seal. Are you sure yours will not work?

Good Luck!

You should have been able to go to your county of birth and get a certified copy. I'll have to do that if/when my passport does not arrive in three weeks. Good luck.

I am a little worried now about all of my families birth certificates, but they are the same ones I have used for all of my 5 cruises. They should be the right ones and I should not have a problem, but I am concerned.

Hmmmm.......it's really up to the ICE people when you come back-and a little up to the RCCL people....

I would take all the stuff you have....photo ID, SS card, whatever you have for the wedding, as much ID as you can possibly scrape up........and be really nice and cross your fingers.....maybe the check in person can call the ships immigration officer and find out,.........I wish you luck....

and I think you should plan another trip to recover from this one!!

You posted 'certified copy' - if it is indeed a certified copy then it will be sufficient for 'most' government officials. IF (and I hope not!!) you do have some initial difficulty with a line staff member (clerk or official) ask in a nice tone to please talk with a supervisor / superior. Then you will have an opportunity to explain the circumstances and almost all cases will be granted some sort of acceptance or exception. For instance, here, if you are not a local resident and do not have your actual 'birth certificate' when you go to get a marriage license, you can sign a sworn affidavit and that along with TWO pieces of government issued photo ID (like passport & drivers license) will suffice. My best wishes for success - a great cruise and most of all, a long and happy life together!!

You posted 'certified copy' - if it is indeed a certified copy then it will be sufficient for 'most' government officials. IF (and I hope not!!) you do have some initial difficulty with a line staff member (clerk or official) ask in a nice tone to please talk with a supervisor / superior. Then you will have an opportunity to explain the circumstances and almost all cases will be granted some sort of acceptance or exception. For instance, here, if you are not a local resident and do not have your actual 'birth certificate' when you go to get a marriage license, you can sign a sworn affidavit and that along with TWO pieces of government issued photo ID (like passport & drivers license) will suffice. My best wishes for success - a great cruise and most of all, a long and happy life together!!

She said she has a PHOTOCOPY of the certified copy, not the real certified copy PLUS the one that say Certificate of Birth. I don't think she is worried about the marriage license rather getting on the ship

I agree;but a marriage license is a serious document-doesn't that carry some weight? That was my point/question;)

You will need the marriage certificate if the name on the passport dosnt agree, but it wouldnt get you thru customs.

There was a thread about someone who was denied boarding, they brought the wrong copies by accident, they brought photocopies of their birth certificate and RCI denied them boarding. The poster was livid and demanding their money back from RCI.

.....as several posters have said you need a raised seal on the birth certificate.

Could someone else (parent, grandparent) have the original document?

Someone had to have made the copy for you. Hopefully it was a family member.

Good luck.

Here is what RCCL says about travel docs on thier web site.

Please note: Royal Caribbean domestic sailings are all sailings originating and ending in ports located in the U.S., Canada and Mexico including Panama Canal sailings. All other sailings are considered to be international sailings. These include itineraries in Europe, South America and Australia/New Zealand including re-positioning sailings originating or ending in their ports. U.S. citizens traveling on our international sailings are required to have valid passports.

DOMESTIC SAILINGS

Consecutive Sailings

Guests on consecutive sailings must ensure they have the proper travel documents for their entire cruise vacation.

Passport Requirements

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) once fully implemented will require all travelers entering or reentering the United States to be in the possession of a valid passport.

Anticipated Implementation

January 23, 2007 - Valid passport required for air travel to / from Canada, Mexico the Caribbean and Bermuda.

June 8, 2007 - The departments of State and Homeland Security relaxed the valid passport rule for air travel to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda provided travelers can show (a) a government-issued photo identification and (b) an official proof of application for a U.S. passport from the U.S. Department of State which can be secured from http:/travel.state.gov. Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents or legal guardian will be permitted to travel with the child's proof of application.

Note: Travelers who have not applied for a passport should not expect to be accommodated.

October 1, 2007 - The departments of State and Homeland Security reestablish the valid passport requirement for air travel to / from Canada, Mexico the Caribbean and Bermuda.

U.S. lawful permanent residents will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card (Form I-551) issued by the Department of Homeland Security or other valid evidence of permanent residence status to apply for entry to the United States.

January 1, 2008 - A valid passport will be required for all sea and air travel. And subject to U.S. Government amendment, U.S. and Canadian citizens 15 or younger with their parents consent may cross the U.S./Canadian border by land or sea with a certified copy of their birth certificate.

Until that time

Sea Travel Only For domestic travel which includes: the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico, a passport (valid or expired) is highly recommended.

In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original or certified copy), plus laminated picture ID card issued by a federal, state, or local government agency is required. Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth (except for new borns) are not acceptable.

For U.S. Naturalized citizens, in the absence of a passport, Naturalization papers (either original or notarized copy) plus a picture ID card issued by a federal, state, or local government agency is required.

A voter registration card or Social Security Card are not considered to be proof of citizenship.

Children under 16 years of age do not require a picture ID.

Any chance your parents have the original birth cert? I know I have all my kids originals I needed them when they started school and have since used them for when they cruised with us. 3 are moved away and on their own now but I still have the BC's.

Good Luck to you!!

Bev

All I have is a "Certificate of Birth" the one from the hospital not the state, and a photo copy of a certified copy. I just hope that with it being our wedding they will let us on, everyone will be in their weding attire. Im going to take everything i can think of to prove i am who i am. Also the wedding is in 2 days, i cant go get one because they are not open Saterday or Monday because it is labor day, that is when we are supposed to get married.

If you get on the ship okay don't worry about getting off, there won't be a problem. My DH packed our passports in our luggage and he had his drivers license and Immigration didn't say much but I had nothing and the guy said "i don't know, I don't think we can let you off of the ship" to which I replied " do you mean I can stay on the ship, OMG it's a dream come true". He laughed and asked who was the current president and sent me on my way.

Good luck getting on the ship, I really can't believe anyone could turn away a bride, especially with a tear or two running down her cheek ;) .

I'm so sorry this happened, and of course on a weekend right before a holiday! I honestly don't know what to tell you. Courthouses are not open on saturdays, are they? Call all your family members and have everyone start digging for a certified copy of your BC! How old are you? You would have had to have a certified copy of your BC to take driver's ed. Think of anyone who may have an original copy of your BC! do you live in a small town? is there anyone that YOU knows that knows someone who can maybe pull some legal strings and help you out? Gosh, i feel so bad for you! I want to be optimistic and say that surely they will not deny you boarding right before your wedding, but they MIGHT have no choice!! Please let us know what happens! Surely someone in your family has a certified copy of your BC, keep looking! check all the files, any place that may have an original copy, there has to be some way to find one! i will be pulling for you, i really will! Good luck!!:)

If you get on the ship okay don't worry about getting off, there won't be a problem. My DH packed our passports in our luggage and he had his drivers license and Immigration didn't say much but I had nothing and the guy said "i don't know, I don't think we can let you off of the ship" to which I replied " do you mean I can stay on the ship, OMG it's a dream come true". He laughed and asked who was the current president and sent me on my way.

Good luck getting on the ship, I really can't believe anyone could turn away a bride, especially with a tear or two running down her cheek ;) .

So all you had was your drivers licence? no passport or BC???

My MIL always traveled with the certificate of birth documents, the ones with the little feet prints, until she was denied checking in at the Delta counter, going to the Bahamas. She even used that certificate going on a cruise a few years back. They (airlines and cruise lines) have really cracked down on proper documentation. Not all states have the raised seals, though on the BC. When are you leaving?? Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Chris

Archived