Any changes to Windsurf?

travl4fun

Hi! We've been on Windsurf 3 times, Windstar once. Clearly we love the line. We've booked Barbados, Windsurf, Jan 20, 08 (alumni cruise - northbound Caribbean) and need to confirm soon.

We've been following the news about the sale and staff changes and asked our agent what he's heard (not much). Most posters here seem to say all the same thing - the ship as wonderful, casual and comfortable as ever, though one poster said the new captain is unfriendly.

Can anybody who's been quite recently onboard and has prior experience with the ship confirm that the level of service is unchanged? Food? Overall experience?

My husband participates alot in the diving program. Is it still going strong with competent staff and well-maintained equipment?

Basically - do you still love it?

Thanks a bunch!

I have taken five Windstar cruises, first one on the Wind Song in Tahiti in 1988, the most recent on the Wind Surf in the Med this past June. So, I've sailed under three different owners.

Can't answer your question about diving, as the sports platform was rarely open on our last cruise. But, over the years, I have never noticed any big changes. The biggest one was when the original owners sold and the European crew was replaced with an Asian one.

I never understand people's complaints, such as "the captain was not friendly". Who cares? I don't go on a cruise to make friends with the officers or the crew. I thought the captain seemed very pleasant and the crew, as usual, was attentive and friendly.

The food was probably, IMO, not as good as in the past, but maybe I have gotten a bit more picky. I think your worries are not warranted. I would book.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to let you know that if you are thinking of taking the Jan.20th cruise, it will have to be a waitlist. I called 2 days ago to Windstar, as we have booked paid, and and have friends that wished to join us as the dates are perfect for their annivesary. We were told that the ship is completely full...no cabins. If you are really interested, you may have luck around 90 days out from sailing when it comes time for final payment, and some may cancel.

There are several alumni sailings, and it does not mean that we travel together as a group. We all book independently, but just get a cheaper rate on specific sailings due to the fact that we have traveled on the Windstar line before. They may have a alumni get-together at some point, but its purely independent traveling. You would not be in the minority if you were on the ship. Most will not know each other unless we have happened to have made contact on the ship before!

If you are alumni, you can go to the website, click on Formast Club, and see all the dates. But they go fast!! Good luck. Would love to see you on board!!!

Travl4fun, whether the captain is friendly or not will be fine. We usually had Captain Mark Boylin, and only saw him from time to time. I too am eager to see how the ownership change has affected the product, but in honesty, the crew are so great that I do not think it will change. It is just how the crew are. We look forward to a great sail!!!! We can all meet for drinks at the Compass Rose for the first sailaway!!!!!!

Ruth:)

Yep, January 20 is sold out. And they said we couldn't book a fight before noon. That really goes against what I've read on this message board. Go figure. Back to the drawing board . . .

Archived