Joining the ship in a second port possible?

Galer99

Our daughter works on Santa Catalina Island and we are considering the Monarch four-day trip. Would our daughter be able to join the cruise by embarking on the second day from Catalina?

And, does our past-guest status transfer from Celebrity to RCCL??

Thanks so much,

you will have to clear it with princess first,but i think yes you can do it,and have your daughter join in the second port,and yes your credits are transferrable:))) have fun and relax:))):p

Princess? Monarch is a Royal Caribbean ship. I was on that 4-day cruise in March 2006, and enjoyed it a lot.

No, you cannot board in a US port (after the initial embarkment port) - something about the maritime laws. It has come up on the boards before. Also, Catalina is a tender port - there is a chance it could be missed if the weather is too choppy. It happened to us in April. If she could join you in San Pedro it would be better. I would call the C&A desk at RCI just to make sure, though.

Also, your past cruise staus from Celebrity would transfer to the equivilent 'perks' on RCI. However, you would not be able to add your Monarch cruise to your total credits on Celebrity or vice versa. Hope this helps!:)

No, you cannot board in a US port (after the initial embarkment port) - something about the maritime laws. It has come up on the boards before. Also, Catalina is a tender port - there is a chance it could be missed if the weather is too choppy. It happened to us in April. If she could join you in San Pedro it would be better. I would call the C&A desk at RCI just to make sure, though.

The Passenger Services Act - one of those useless (in my opinion) laws that ought to be done away with.

Our daughter works on Santa Catalina Island and we are considering the Monarch four-day trip. Would our daughter be able to join the cruise by embarking on the second day from Catalina?

Thanks so much,

You have to get express permission from the Captain via a dept called GFO at RCI, but the ship must call at a foreign port first

The Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) and the second the Jones Act. The Jones Act really brought together bits of legislation, some going way back, and it covers all Domestic marine trade, whereas the PVSA is, as the name implies, concerned with passengers.

Enacted in 1886 the PVSA essentially prohibits a foreign or non US built crewed and Registered vessel from picking up passengers in one US port and disembarking them in another US port.

The PVSA does however, allow ships to pick up and return passengers to the same US port providing they call at a foreign port in the course of the voyage. It may also pick up passengers at a US port and disembark them at another US port providing it calls at a port deemed to be 'distant' by the Government. i.e. from Miami to LA and calling at Curacao.

Your Celebrity/RCI status is recognisable when you have 5 points. You do not however have 5 points on one and then go straight in at 5 points on the other - you will get the perks as if you had 5 points for that cruise but in essence you are starting from scratch and will collect points from the beginning.

Thanks so much,

No, she cannot do this.

I don't think she will be able to. I remember someone that was unable to make their departure on time and wanted to meet it at their first port which was Key West and was told no that she couldn't board there.
Guilty as charged. :D

The PSA, referenced by Albert Ross, is the reason that she and I can't and couldn't do it.

Ensenada is NOT a "distant foreign port".

Thank you, Merion Mom, for your candid response. I guess we all are famous for something, right? And I'll bet you've enjoyed seeing the variations on this story over time on these boards, too.

If we take this trip, we'll all board together in San Pedro.

Thanks to all who responded,

Thank you, Merion Mom, for your candid response. I guess we all are famous for something, right? And I'll bet you've enjoyed seeing the variations on this story over time on these boards, too.

If we take this trip, we'll all board together in San Pedro.

Thanks to all who responded,

:) :rolleyes: Indeed.

The night before my trip on the Monarch last May, I stayed in the Crowne Plaza. It was just renovated. I paid sixty some dollars through Priceline. Perfectly nice for the night before a cruise. VERY close to the port.

Ginny:

Thanks for the info. Does the Monarch sail from San Pedro? Can you suggest a hotel for the night before sailing close to the pier? Thanks so much,

I have also heard that the Crowne Plaza is a good place to stay. We drive to the port and usually stay in the Anaheim area the night before. We like to go to Downtown Disney the night before for dinner. Then we get to the port in about 45 minutes in the morning.:D

No, she cannot do this.

Guilty as charged. :D

The PSA, referenced by Albert Ross, is the reason that she and I can't and couldn't do it.

Ensenada is NOT a "distant foreign port".

I was thinking that it was you that it happened to but I wasn't 100% positive.

San Pedro is a very quick ferry ride from Catalina. Takes less than an hour from dock to dock. Why would she just not come board with you in San Pedro? And if I remember correctly, RCCL changed it so that Monarch goes to San Diego first, and then Catalina. So she would miss 2 days.

Archived