Yellow Fever Immunizations

earljr

Not sure this is the proper thread for this question but here goes anyway.

It is my understanding that two of our future cruises will require yellow fever shots. (Brazil and Devils Island) DW and I have every shot except this one and had planned to get this within the next week.

A Nurse friend has advised there is a health risk in taking this innoculation--

We would appreciate any info regarding personal experience, side effects, etc. would be appreciated.

Earl

We went on a Celebrity cruise about 7 years ago and there was no requirement for the vaccination but there was a suddent outbreak - so - when we flew to Caracas and waiting for us at the dock - prior to check in - were several nurses and a couple of doctors. They administered the vaccine then we were allowed to check in and board. Not a pleasant surprise but they were very efficient and kind (my son was in first grade at the time). I am not aware of anyone who had a reaction. One of those, you do what you gotta do.

There can always be side effects with any medication. We had ours last year and had absolutely on side effects. My understanding is that the most common side effect is a slight fever and maybe a little redness around the injection site. The side effects usually show up about two weeks after the injection. If you are concerned, I would consult with your doctor.

Here's a link to the fact sheet on the CDC site.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-yf.pdf

We just got our Yellow Fever vaccinations this past week, as we'll be stopping at Devils Island in Dec.

I was real nervous about side effects from this shot.

I really shouldn't have worried as neither me nor my DH has had an ill effects, except for a day when our arms felt heavy from where it was given.

I think having a tetnus or flu shot is worse than this vaccination was.

Good Luck!

Minette

I got mine the day after 9/11. I remember it so vividly because the travel medicine clinic said that they had had so many cancellations because people were afraid to travel now. Also got the first of 2 Hepatitis shots the same day, and a tetanus upgrade. Never had a single side affect from any of them, except the typical slightly swollen arm.

There were 2 other shots recommended for my trip to Brazil (on the Celebrity Mercury) that I declined. One had to do with something you could get from petting stray dogs and the other from swimming in inland rivers. And wouldn't you know it - my traveling companion attracted (willingly) every stray dog around, and it wasn't until I was sliding down the rocks in an inland river in Brazil that I wished I hadn't passed up those shots.

Had my first yellow fever vaccination in '93 and again in 2003. Be advised that your local health dept. has to order it ahead of time, so allow plenty of time...also to make sure you have a couple of weeks afterward.

Your doctor doesn't give out this vaccine...only your local health dept. It's pretty expsive, over $100 as I recall.

Never had a reaction, neither did DH. Ditto for the hepatitis ones.

If you have an allergy to egg's you cannot have the yellow fever shot because the vaccinne is produced from an egg product. Also, the vaccine is not recommended for person's over 65. We had ours two years ago and neither of us had any side affects.

bob

I have a follow-up question for those who have had the vaccine and traveled on Princess. All of their pre-cruise information states that you a must have a certificate stating that you've been vaccinated. Do you automatically get this when you are vaccinated? Is it a special request from the physician? Does anyone at Princess ever ask for it once you have one? Should I carry copies of it?

When we sailed on the Regal down the Amazon Princess had a table set up and everyone had to show their vaccination certificate before they could board the ship. It was not a matter of just showing the yellow slip with the vaccination info on it, but they also checked our names and marked them off that we had the documentation. Some people did not and if they got on the ship on not I don't know. But you could see them walking out with a Princess rep. We got our through our local County Health Dept. Our Dr did not have the serum and said they do not give the shots. I think my wife got all the shots recommended and it cost $183. I just got Yellow Fever and Malaria pills and it was about $80.

There is a standard vaccination form that is yellow. We carried that with our passports. If Princess says it is necessary then they will probably check to make sure you have the certificate before you can board.

I think we were automatically given the yellow card with vaccinations given and the date given on it. But we may have asked for it as well, just to be sure. I think ours gave it to us automatically as we told them we were traveling and needed the documentation.

Never had any side effects from the shots.

When we sailed on the Regal down the Amazon Princess had a table set up and everyone had to show their vaccination certificate before they could board the ship. We got our through our local County Health Dept. Our Dr did not have the serum and said they do not give the shots. I think my wife got all the shots recommended and it cost $183. I just got Yellow Fever and Malaria pills and it was about $80.

There is a standard vaccination form that is yellow. We carried that with our passports. If Princess says it is necessary then they will probably check to make sure you have the certificate before you can board.

I think we were automatically given the yellow card with vaccinations given and the date given on it. But we may have asked for it as well, just to be sure. I think ours gave it to us automatically as we told them we were traveling and needed the documentation.

Never had any side effects from the shots.

FredS,

Thank you. I very much appreciate your response.

I have been doing some research and according to the CDC site there are "yellow fever" vaccination clinics that give the vaccine "by appointment only". One happen to be at the hospital where my PC practices so I'll be checking on that.

We had ours Sept 12, 2001 and neither of us had any reaction. I was so apprehensive about the vaccine's possible severe side effects I almost cancelled the cruise but then going to Brazil won over.

The County Health Department gave us a yellow certificate card which had an official stamp on it and it was signed. The shot is good for 10 years. I have always said I'll go where you need the vaccine before it expires so I don't have to get another one.

Our cruie was on HAL and if you didn't have the certificate you were not allowed to board the ship.They told us the ship was not allowed in Brazil's waters unless everyone had the vaccine because of the ports in Peru that were on our itinerary. Brazil requires the vaccine if the ship has come from endemic zones such as those in the Americas: Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, French Guiana, Peru, Surinam, and Venezuela. It was not an option to not have the shot and just stay onboard when we stopped in Peru.

Have a great trip!

I have a follow-up question for those who have had the vaccine and traveled on Princess. All of their pre-cruise information states that you a must have a certificate stating that you've been vaccinated. Do you automatically get this when you are vaccinated? Is it a special request from the physician? Does anyone at Princess ever ask for it once you have one? Should I carry copies of it?

Whoever provides the vaccination will complete a certificate that is yellow in color. Make sure they complete it correctly and affix the proper stamps. There is an example of the form toward the bottom on the page at this site. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/yellowBookCh4-YellowFever.aspx

When we went to South America from New Orleans we had to turn in our passport along with our Yellow Fever Certificate and they held on to them. There were a few people who were turned away because they didn't have a Yellow Fever Certificate. Those people had to find someone that provided the shots and were lucky that we weren't going to enter Brazil for 10 days after sailing from New Orleans as the certificate only becomes valid 10 days after you are inoculated. Some missed sailing and had to join us in Aruba.

We had the Yellow Fever shots for our Panama Canal cruise last year. HAL said that they were mandatory, but once we'd had them done they changed their minds and said they weren't necessary!

Anyway, we had no side effects whatsoever, and to the person who says they're not recommended for over 65s, my husband was way over that age and he was just fine. We were automatically given a certificate to carry with us, but didn't need it because of HAL's change of mind.

Whoever provides the vaccination will complete a certificate that is yellow in color. Make sure they complete it correctly and affix the proper stamps. There is an example of the form toward the bottom on the page at this site. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/yellowBookCh4-YellowFever.aspx

When we went to South America from New Orleans we had to turn in our passport along with our Yellow Fever Certificate and they held on to them. There were a few people who were turned away because they didn't have a Yellow Fever Certificate. Those people had to find someone that provided the shots and were lucky that we weren't going to enter Brazil for 10 days after sailing from New Orleans as the certificate only becomes valid 10 days after you are inoculated. Some missed sailing and had to join us in Aruba.

Ohhh, I'd hate that! :eek: Thanks for the information.

Your doctor doesn't give out this vaccine...only your local health dept. It's pretty expsive, over $100 as I recall.

Cost us $164 last week, & if we had wanted a Dr.s exam beforehand, that would have cost extra $130.

We did receive the stamped Yellow immunization certificate, which is now in with our passport, waiting for Dec.

Minette

They told us the ship was not allowed in Brazil's waters unless everyone had the vaccine because of the ports in Peru that were on our itinerary. Brazil requires the vaccine if the ship has come from endemic zones such as those in the Americas: Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, French Guiana, Peru, Surinam, and Venezuela. It was not an option to not have the shot and just stay onboard when we stopped in Peru.

This is not only true for cruises but for other trips. There are quite a few countries that WILL NOT allow you to enter IF you have been to a country that has YF outbreaks and you do not have the vaccination record.

China and some other Asian countries, Panama, Peru, just to name a few. Authorities see the VERY prominent Brazilian visa in your passport and almost IMMEDIATELY ask for the YF card.

You do not want to be trying to argue that you were not in an "endemic" zone, only went to Rio and didn't need the vaccination in a foreign country, ESPECIALLY if you don't speak the language fluently. The difference between Brazillia and Rio is VERY small in the eyes of immigration officers. They generally see the visa and ASK for the card.

If for no other reason than the ease of your future travels, get the YF vaccination. IF you have a medical reason NOT to get the shot, there are exemption forms available from CDC, which are honored by all countries who participate with WHO.

Saddest travel story I have seen in recent years-VERY excited young man arrived Beijing to teach English (he was on the plane with me from HKG) His passport had a Brazilian visa. He tried his best to explain that he had gone to Rio, didn't need the vaccination, etc. etc. He even spoke some basic Mandarin.

NO, NO, NO-you cannot enter mainland China. He didn't have much money, credit cards maxed out. He was told to go back to HKG. Last time I saw him, he was frantically trying to to make reservations back to HKG to find someplace to get YF shot. I have often wondered what happened to him. Hopefully nothing bad.

With lots of US citizens going to China for the Olympics, PLEASE get the YF shot. Your future travels to quite a few places may depend on being able to prove you either had the vaccination or are exempt.

China and some other Asian countries, Panama, Peru, just to name a few. Authorities see the VERY prominent Brazilian visa in your passport and almost IMMEDIATELY ask for the YF card. ............

Saddest travel story I have seen in recent years-VERY excited young man arrived Beijing to teach English (he was on the plane with me from HKG) His passport had a Brazilian visa. He tried his best to explain that he had gone to Rio, didn't need the vaccination, etc. etc. He even spoke some basic Mandarin.

NO, NO, NO-you cannot enter mainland China. ....

How long had it been since he had been in Brazil? Our port of call was Rio and we were required to have the YF certificate to even go there so wonder why he said he didn't need it.

The CDC web site only says in regards to China "if traveling from an endemic zone". Surely there must be some time limitation or are you saying if your visit on the Brazilian visa was 8 years ago they still won't let you in without a certificate?

How long had it been since he had been in Brazil? Our port of call was Rio and we were required to have the YF certificate to even go there so wonder why he said he didn't need it.

The CDC web site only says in regards to China "if traveling from an endemic zone". Surely there must be some time limitation or are you saying if your visit on the Brazilian visa was 8 years ago they still won't let you in without a certificate?

You don't need YF just to go to Brazil (like Rio or Sao Paulo). In fact, you don't actually need YF to travel anyplace in Brazil IF you arrive from someplace OTHER than an "endemic" zone-like direct from the USA or Europe. You were required to be vaccinated, as you were either going or coming from Peru and others (Peru would NOT have let you in without the certificate).

The problem worldwide is the definition of "endemic" zone, language barriers, and immigration officers "interpretation" of the rules. IF you don't speak the language fluently, you may have REAL difficulty trying to interpret the "rules".

As I posted earlier, Rio and Manaus are "Brazil" to an immigration officer in China. One is specifically in the endemic zone and one is not (Rio). Are you really going to try to argue (not speaking the language) about what is on the CDC (American) website and just where you went in Brazil????

You passport shows nothing other than you entered Brazil. You could have gone to both Manaus and Rio. The Chinese (and other country's) immigration officer don't know the difference, nor do they really care. They will not be likely to pull out a map and you can't make yourself understood in their language. I am a frequent Asian/South America business traveler and am almost always asked for the YF certificate.

You are definitely taking your chances with future travel by NOT getting the YF vaccination.

I received my yellow fever vaccination two weeks ago at the public heath clinic. What's interesting is that the clinic would not give me the shot without my doctor's written permission since I'm over 65. The shot cost $84.

Archived