I decided to just pay the 190% single supp!

PoseidonGodoftheSea

Yup, I've discovered cruising at the suite level and I know that every line will make me pay double, at least I won't stress about the supp anymore. I just got tired of being denied the finer things in life and relegated to the bottom decks or an inside stateroom. I even got stuck in open dining on a recent cruise (I was only #9 on the wait list) because I was traveling alone. I can also now try NCL, RCCL and X; all lines notorious for their high single supps and I avoided them in the past.

Has anyone else decided to just deal with it in order to get the level of accomodation that they'd like?

I did it once; on Holland America's Amsterdam to Alaska; I see you are sailing soon with them. Is that where you booked it? The deluxe verandah suite? It's one of the most beautiful cabins I've ever seen, with a balcony so huge I could have held a square dance on it. I also liked the private lounge with food set out in the morning and afternoon....that is where I took my breakfast and lunch, very nice.

I wouldn't do it again; I just am not in that financial bracket. I am now a Seabourn addict, and don't really need the balcony, what with the huge five foot windows in their suites, and the level of service they provide. But I do understand why you did it! Have a fantastic cruise.

Jane

Yup, I've discovered cruising at the suite level and I know that every line will make me pay double, at least I won't stress about the supp anymore. I just got tired of being denied the finer things in life and relegated to the bottom decks or an inside stateroom. I even got stuck in open dining on a recent cruise (I was only #9 on the wait list) because I was traveling alone. I can also now try NCL, RCCL and X; all lines notorious for their high single supps and I avoided them in the past.

Has anyone else decided to just deal with it in order to get the level of accomodation that they'd like?

I've been cruising Princess now for 6 years solo I would NEVER consider cruising without a balcony I pay 200% EVERYTIME, I dont worry about it and you shouldnt either. At the end of the day, AT THE END OF THE DAY, its thee only way to go. Plus....you deserve it!!! Later Todd

Congratulations! Yes, I always pay 200% and I am not ashamed. I get the room I want, it is my vacation. It's my chance to treat myself right. Glad you decided to go for it. It really IS that important do make yourself feel good.

Yep, me too! Don't care what others think, to each their own. There is no right or wrong, it is all in what you want. I have cruised solo several times and have enjoyed it and look forward to doing it again when the mood strikes. Always at least a balcony stateroom and a few times in a suite. Furthermore, I don't feel that I have to explain it to anyone, and neither should anyone else have to explain why they book whatever stateroom they decide to book. And no one should have to apologize or feel guilty for being good to themselves. So go for it!

Annieeee

Hi,:) I have been sailing Celebrity since 2003 and love it. Yes,

I pay the price but I have always disembarked each cruise

knowing I had a marvelous time and booked another one right

away.

I leave next month and can't wait:D

Is it October yet??

I have always sailed with at least a balcony and paid 200%. However, I am siling in 2 days time in an inside room. It will be a first but think that maybe I won't miss the balcony - I hope!!

The reason I did it is because it enabled me to book another cruise - Transatlantic in December on Celebrity Millennium and have an inside on that also. So two cruises for the price of one.

I am sure I made the right choice !!! (I hope!)

Hi Gary:)

Out of my 11 cruises on X, I have had 3 balconies......all others

inside with exception of 2 windows....so 6 inside.

I know there have been many threads about cabin categories and

what folks book.

I choose to cruise as often as possible and inside cabins are in

my budget.

1 balcony I shared and the other 2 were on special.

I know I just want my own cabin:)

We all have different finances and for those who only book

balconies, more power to them:D. I can't go there.

All of my inside cabins have been wonderful.....hope you

enjoy your cruise!!!:)

Oh, I have seen your posts and maybe one day our paths

will cross on the high seas! It would be a pleasure to make

your aquaintance!

• 4 months later...

I loved finding this thread. I just booked the back to back 8 nite Alaska cruise and 4 nite Pacific Northwest cruise on Celebrity Mercury Sept 14 as my first solo cruise averaging out to 185% for an inside cabin. Didn't care. I loved the itinerary, loved what I heard about the ship and got one of the insides on the Sky deck so I'm just steps to prime viewing areas and one flight of stairs down to hot tubs, buffet, etc. I could have gotten a better rate elsewhere, but I can't sneak away from work that often, so I'll spend the extra few hundred to get exactly what I want. Glad to hear I'm not crazy...or at least if I am, I've got company!!!:)

I wish I could do that too but I simply don't have this kind of budget. If I had this type of money, I would definitely splurge most of the time (I think I would perfectly fine with a standard balcony room but if a Suite is important to you, go for it!).

My first two cruises were at 200% in oceanview cabins. My last cruise and the next two booked have balconies, also 200%. I also like longer cruises. With only 4 weeks off a year I feel the money is well spent--whatever the savings could be it wouldn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling of a great vacation! If you can afford, go for it!

• 3 weeks later...

Yep. First cruise, solo, Concierge Class on Celebrity. It's a tiny balcony, but I just had to splurge on the sea air and the sound of the waves against the ship.

Caro

I'm sort of an old fashioned guy, so if I was taking a lady along I would pay double in any case so I actually look at single supplements as a "discount". Hey, great! Instead of having to pay 2000 I only have to pay 1500 - that's a 25% discount!!!!

Quote:

"Has anyone else decided to just deal with it in order to get the level of accomodation that they'd like?"

I deal with it every time I sail~I always sail solo.

Having an inside cabin is 110% AOK with me and it is

what makes cruising 2 to 3 times a year possible for me

as well.:)

I have booked inside cabins for my solo cruises in the past - and it was OK. I LOVE the balcony, and in the past I have only booked balconies when I was traveling with someone else. My next cruise I booked a suite (with a friend), and my 2009 cruise I just booked I am getting balcony. I am getting a small inheritance from my cruise-loving uncle, and i am sure he would like it if I used his money to take great trips!

While I haven't yet booked a balcony or a suite, I am finally to the point where I no longer feel crazy or pathetic for sailing solo. Yes, I pay a single supplement but I never really considered that a hardship. Instead of thinking "wow I can cruise for $600 for a week," I think "wow I can cruise for $1200 a week." However, I love the thinking that the single supplement is a discount. :D What a terrific attitude!!

I wish I could do that too but I simply don't have this kind of budget. If I had this type of money, I would definitely splurge most of the time (I think I would perfectly fine with a standard balcony room but if a Suite is important to you, go for it!).

I agree. If a suite is that important to you, and you can afford it, go for it. I, however, am in the same "boat" as you ... a suite, especially at 200% single supplement, is just a bit above my budget. If I booked one, it would mean that I don't cruise again for several years. So, I suck it up and deal with the inside cabin. It's really not that bad and there are plenty of other places on the ship where I can go to get the great views.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I admit I always go inside..cheapest cabin they have. ;) I could live on a boat unfortunately. Anyway, going cheap allows me to go more often and stay within my budget. I am already looking at July 2009 cruises. Gawd.......... I love cruising.

On occasion I take my mother, and it makes me not mind paying the single supplement. She is a wonderful person, but I would rather go alone.

I am going solo on Europe and South America this year. OOOh I can't wait.

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case you want to try a luxury line, Seabourn often has 125% single supplements on their cruises; and their cabins are all outside, huge beautiful cabins with huge beautiful windows. I've been on three solo cruises with them, they cater to single travelers very nicely.

I did however jump ship over to Silversea to try their ship this December. They are going to a couple of ports I haven't tried before and they also have "real" balconies on their ships (Seabourn's balconies are narrow; you cannot sit out on them). I'm putting up the extra $$ for a balcony on Silversea. Their single supplements aren't so generous!

Jane

Archived