Paul Gauguin - family friendly

eilee

We are a large family - 20 in total, including 11 kids from 8-19. We are thinking of taking the PG cruise next August, but I'm concerned this is mostly an "adult only" trip. Do many kids take this trip? If so, are there enough activities off shore (for those who don't dive) to keep them interested? Also, is shade/umbrellas provided both on the boat as well as on the beaches?

There were many family groups on our Aug 2 cruise. Our son is 16 and had a great time. Lots of teenagers and older kids (youngest I saw was 8 or 9), all well-behaved and all having a great time.

As far as shade, on the pool deck there are some lounge chairs that are in a covered area and always shady--I don't like sunbathing and try to avoid excessive sun exposure, so this is where I sat and read. Never had a problem getting a chair.

On the motu, there is plenty of shade from the palm trees.

I don't scuba or snorkle, but I found plenty to do--loved the 4x4 safari on Bora Bora, the dolphin watching excursion, the catamaran sunset sail, and just sitting under a palm tree. We didn't go to any of the evening entertainment because we were so tired from the days activities that we just went to sleep after dinner.

It really depends on the cruise. On our 11 day July cruise, there were only a handful of kids up to age 18. They have the special kids program (including up through age 18) but only one 9-year-old girl signed up for it. Our daughters, ages 14&16, were a little disappointed that there weren't more kids their ages but they still had a great time. We figured out that since a group of 150, all without kids, had taken up half the cruise, that greatly diminished the numbers. So I think it's hard to tell. They told us the cruise before there were about 30 kids in the program, so you never can tell.

If you are going to Tahiti in the summer with kids and adults....check the travel sites for Tahiti and find out when the Heiva is going to be next year. It is the biggest event in FP. Dance comp, singing etc from all over the Pacific they come to compete.1000's compete

That's when your family should go ....they will be mesmerized !!!!!!

I just returned from the Paul Gauguin and can state that not only should those who can partake in the Ambassadors of the Environment program do so, there is so much for young people to do that to consider this an "adults only" cruise would be unfair. It was, simply put, one of the best family vacations we have ever had. (See my review posted today.)

Archived