WHAT??? No Casual Nights in the Dining Room?

Jaycue52

Ok, Ok. I come from the late 60's-early 70's and having seen movies in the 50's and earlier. PERSONALLY, I and my DH love to dress for dinner, it is very romantic. We also enjoy a cocktail and dancing (actually not to the 60's-70's but to the 20's-30's-40's music before dinner.) I really enjoy having people "dress up" and consider this on of the main enjoyments of the cruise. As far as the Lido deck, I put a wrap around on and get my food and if I am going inside, I put a top on. This is common courtesy (as I was raised).

By the way, I do have a long formal or two (I pick one or two depending on how I feel) that I bring on cruises (as well as how long I am going to be on board ship) as well as one or two "cocktail" dresses that are very nice. On informal, elegantly casual or what ever they call it now, it is nice slacks (business meeting attire) and top or nice skirt (elegant luncheon-going out on a lunch date, etc) & top. What ever you can afford. I really mix and match on my casual/elegantly casual nights so I don't have to bring too much. 2 skirts/1 pant plus 4 tops for a 10 or 11 night cruise plus 1 or 2 "formal" wear. So Ladies, whatever makes you and your DH or BF or Sig. Other feel good!!

I can only hope that some of the busybodies on this board who seem intent to pass judgement on all and sundry are in the minority on our cruise. I highly suspect they are in the very small minority.

Fortunately, what has been in the very small minority on my HAL cruises were people who dressed down for dinner.;)

I have just returned from my first HAL cruise. On "formal night " almost all the men wore suits, but only a few wore tuxedos. Not a real problem. However , on "smart casual night " most people in the Main Dining Room were casual, some quite smart, some very smart, but some were very casual indeed . Track suit bottoms, knobby, holey , stained T or sweat shirts.

Why if you wish to dress like that would you not eat in the casual dining room ? Better still in your cabin !

I did not think I would find under dressing would be a bother to me, but I did. It turned a night out to dine into more like a trip to Macdonalds. I have another cruise with Hal in Dec. and have already paid other wise i would cancel. I find this degree of being "casual " too much for me.

However , on "smart casual night " most people in the Main Dining Room were casual, some quite smart, some very smart, but some were very casual indeed . Track suit bottoms, knobby, holey , stained T or sweat shirts.

Why if you wish to dress like that would you not eat in the casual dining room ? Better still in your cabin !

I did not think I would find under dressing would be a bother to me, but I did. It turned a night out to dine into more like a trip to Macdonalds. I have another cruise with Hal in Dec. and have already paid other wise i would cancel. I find this degree of being "casual " too much for me.

I totally agree! This is why I think that if HAL is going to continue "smart casual," they need to issue of what is NOT permitted, including shorts, jeans, sweats, and non-collared shirts for men. I really don't think those simple guidelines are too much to ask!!!

I However , on "smart casual night " most people in the Main Dining Room were casual, some quite smart, some very smart, but some were very casual indeed . Track suit bottoms, knobby, holey , stained T or sweat shirts.

I am sorry to say that I have now experienced this on all lines and it will only get worse as the cruise lines are not going to alienate passengers by enforcing a dress code.:(

We have booked our first Cunard cruise simply because we want to go back to a traditional experience with a formal dress code that is enforced, along with all of the niceties that come along with tradition.

My cruises these days are work related and we make other choices for vacation due to the decline in more standards than we are comfortable with. While I still enjoy HAL and they are my favorite of the mass market lines, the new code is a disappointment and I predict that enforcement will be ever more lax.

Since it is obvious from these boards - as well as onboard - that many newer cruisers prefer a dressed down atmosphere, we have decided to try the one line that appears to still hold with the true ocean liner experience. From the posts on their boards, I think we will be pleased.

Most of our previos cruises have been with Celebrity. On formal nights the dress code was much more an occation , with the majority of men in dress suits, tuxs, etc. On informal nights, which Celebrity still has , most men wear a jacket , some with a tie. Still a feeling of out to "dine " , not just eat. Even on casual nights , I never remember seeing any people in the main dining room , as badly dressed as on Hal. By badly dressed I do mean scruffy, with the same clothes worn for three or four nights,

I have just returned from my first HAL cruise. On "formal night " almost all the men wore suits, but only a few wore tuxedos. Not a real problem. However , on "smart casual night " most people in the Main Dining Room were casual, some quite smart, some very smart, but some were very casual indeed . Track suit bottoms, knobby, holey , stained T or sweat shirts.

Was this an Alaska cruise? My Alaska cruise, in 2003, was the most casual/sloppy cruise I've ever been on. On formal nights very few men were in Tuxedos, most were in suite and slacks, jacket, and tie; the numbers in jeans, etc., even on formal night, were far higher than I'd ever seen before.

I totally agree! This is why I think that if HAL is going to continue "smart casual," they need to issue of what is NOT permitted, including shorts, jeans, sweats, and non-collared shirts for men. I really don't think those simple guidelines are too much to ask!!!

HAL already stipulates the following in HAL's current dress code:

Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sports shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours.

I've highlighted "not allowed" because this language is the least ambiguous part of the Dress code.

Since it is obvious from these boards - as well as onboard - that many newer cruisers prefer a dressed down atmosphere, we have decided to try the one line that appears to still hold with the true ocean liner experience. From the posts on their boards, I think we will be pleased.

I don't blame you. I'm looking toward a Cunard cruise, myself, at some point in the not too distant future. Just to see if I like it.

Was this an Alaska cruise? My Alaska cruise, in 2003, was the most casual/sloppy cruise I've ever been on. On formal nights very few men were in Tuxedos, most were in suite and slacks, jacket, and tie; the numbers in jeans, etc., even on formal night, were far higher than I'd ever seen before.

No, that was why it was was so surprising . It was a 15 day cruise around Europe. Had it been the Caribbean or similar, it would be slightly more expected.

Perhaps if Hal stipulated "Casual IS defined ONLY as ...." instead of " can be defined as." ...people would dress "up" a little more.

Perhaps if Hal stipulated "Casual IS defined ONLY as ...." instead of " can be defined as." ...people would dress "up" a little more.

Sadly, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope on that one. :( It's as if there's a Limbo dance going on---no matter how low HAL sets the bar there's always a few who will go lower. :rolleyes:

There's those who don't want to "dress up" for formal, so the code is sport coat w/tie; HAL lowered the code when it eliminated "informal". So folks were given a standard of "just look presentable" for most every night, and they can't even do that.

Don't hold your breath, Welsh Wizard, that another change in definition will do any good.

Most of our previos cruises have been with Celebrity. On formal nights the dress code was much more an occation , with the majority of men in dress suits, tuxs, etc. On informal nights, which Celebrity still has , most men wear a jacket , some with a tie. Still a feeling of out to "dine " , not just eat. Even on casual nights , I never remember seeing any people in the main dining room , as badly dressed as on Hal. By badly dressed I do mean scruffy, with the same clothes worn for three or four nights,

Unless you actually "roomed" with these people with the "scruffy" clothes, how would you know if these were the same clothes worn for 3 or 4 nights?:(

I guess I obviously dont pay enough attention to how other people dress, so I wouldn't remember if I saw that same person the day before (and the day before that, and the day before that) with the same outfit on !!

(Oh...and what does that say about all those kids in private schools who have to wear the same clothes every day?)

Shari

Queen of Jeans:)

Unless you actually "roomed" with these people with the "scruffy" clothes, how would you know if these were the same clothes worn for 3 or 4 nights?:(

I guess I obviously dont pay enough attention to how other people dress, so I wouldn't remember if I saw that same person the day before (and the day before that, and the day before that) with the same outfit on !!

(Oh...and what does that say about all those kids in private schools who have to wear the same clothes every day?)

Shari

Queen of Jeans:)

Shari......You are a female. There is NO WOMAN on the planet who would not notice if one of her table mates had an outfit on at dinner, then on a tour, then at the quiz, then at dinnner the next night, then next day by the pool, and yes you have guessed, dinner again. I did not say it had not been laundered, and dried, { !} every night , I have no way of knowing , but even my husband commented how much she wore the same thing.! Maybe she had 4 the same. :)

I hope she is not on CC. :o

Shari......You are a female. There is NO WOMAN on the planet who would not notice if one of her table mates had an outfit on at dinner, then on a tour, then at the quiz, then at dinnner the next night, then next day by the pool, and yes you have guessed, dinner again. I did not say it had not been laundered, and dried, { !} every night , I have no way of knowing , but even my husband commented how much she wore the same thing.! Maybe she had 4 the same. :)

I hope she is not on CC. :o

Yes, I am a female but thats about all we can agree on. Maybe people think I wear the same pair of jeans every day.....I happen to like a certain style and have several pair that look exactly alike and thats what I wear. At home, at the grocery store, the g-kids soccer games, work on Casual Fridays.

I just DON'T pay that much attention to what people wear (or don't wear for that matter). We went out to dinner with my son and his fiancee last night and for the life of me, I can't tell you what either of them wore, but I could sure tell you what we talked about!!!:D

Shari

Archived