First Timer w/ Little Ones

RedCoff

Hello,

I'm cruising for the first time this fall with my husband and two sons, ages 2.5 and 1 year old. My parents are taking us on the Norweigan Star to the Mexican Riviera, we leave November 24th. I wondered if anyone else has cruised with such little ones before and if you can give me any tips. Was there anything they didn't have on board that you wish you brought along?

Christina

We've always seen families on cruise ships. I would think you'd want to make sure you have plenty of diapers and then some extras. Make sure you have either bottles or sippy cups. I would think anything you'd take with you for a hotel stay would be what you need for a cruise trip. The only thing might be if the kids have motion problems. For the older child you might want to bring some ginger snap cookies if you think he'll eat them. Ginger is good for that.

I second the recommendation of going to the Family Cruising thread. Lots of support and advise from experienced cruisers who will help you know if your expectations are on track or off.

Things you might want to ask about will include food, babysitting (unless the G-parents are taking that over :), dining advice, pools, sunscreen, just in case packet of basic kids fever/cough/cold remedies, clothing, toys, strollers, excursions.

Just about the same you might take on a land based holiday. We have taken a few sand toys for private island beach days. You can pick them up in an earlier port and leave them on the island if you don't want to pack them. This isn't the case I don't think on the cruise you are taking.

For little ones, you will need to bring practically everything they will need for the entire trip.

Plan on hiring babysitting, so you can have a bit of a break!

Be aware that some ships don't allow non potty-trained kids in the pool. Check with your cruiseline, so there won't be any surprises!

Hello,

I'm cruising for the first time this fall with my husband and two sons, ages 2.5 and 1 year old. My parents are taking us on the Norweigan Star to the Mexican Riviera, we leave November 24th. I wondered if anyone else has cruised with such little ones before and if you can give me any tips. Was there anything they didn't have on board that you wish you brought along?

Christina

Here's the link to Family Cruising. Come on over and chat or read through hundreds of old posts that will answer all of your questions. I'm taking my 3 and 1yos on their first cruise next month. I can't wait, but it has been work getting their gear ready. This board will help:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

A must--a blow-up kiddie pool. WalMart has them on clearance right now, even. Don't wait too long, or you won't be able to find one. They can swim and bathe in it (showers only on the ship). You might even want to get a couple if they're cheap and easy to pack, because you'll probably have some new friends that are in diapers too that didn't check in here first! And ditto about the Family Cruising board. Have fun! They'll love it!

cb at sea, NCL does not have in cabin babysitting, only group sitting after 10pm. The child must be age 3 to go to the kids club, so there's no real respite for the parents using the club. You need to bring everything you use at home for the kids--the cruise line doesn't supply much of anything that an infant uses. Not sure what sleeping arrangements you'll have, or what size cabin, but I don't think a regular cabin will hold two pack n play's for the two boys---you're going to have a logistical problem unless you have a bigger cabin. Lots of diapers,as the cruise line doesn't have them. Remember, it's courteous to remove the children from any public venue when they become cranky. AND, the walls between cabins are very, very thin. So if you have a baby that is colicky or doesn't sleep through the night, you're going to have some very upset neighbors in both adjoining cabins.

A must--a blow-up kiddie pool. WalMart has them on clearance right now, even. Don't wait too long, or you won't be able to find one. They can swim and bathe in it (showers only on the ship). You might even want to get a couple if they're cheap and easy to pack, because you'll probably have some new friends that are in diapers too that didn't check in here first! And ditto about the Family Cruising board. Have fun! They'll love it!

I'm a little curious where you're supposed to put the kiddie pool. Is something like this even allowed?

Happy Sails!

Romy

cb at sea, NCL does not have in cabin babysitting, only group sitting after 10pm. The child must be age 3 to go to the kids club, so there's no real respite for the parents using the club. You need to bring everything you use at home for the kids--the cruise line doesn't supply much of anything that an infant uses. Not sure what sleeping arrangements you'll have, or what size cabin, but I don't think a regular cabin will hold two pack n play's for the two boys---you're going to have a logistical problem unless you have a bigger cabin. Lots of diapers,as the cruise line doesn't have them. Remember, it's courteous to remove the children from any public venue when they become cranky. AND, the walls between cabins are very, very thin. So if you have a baby that is colicky or doesn't sleep through the night, you're going to have some very upset neighbors in both adjoining cabins.

Hi Cruisead, funny you should bring this up. Just this morning I was having visions of being next door to screaming/crying children :eek: and decided I'm buying the best earplugs I can find just in case. That has always been my biggest nightmare before crusing! I've been lucky thusfar;) .

Happy Sails!

Romy

I'm a little curious where you're supposed to put the kiddie pool. Is something like this even allowed?

Happy Sails!

Romy

They are allowed. You take a SMALL blow up pool and put it out of the way on a deck. You use an ice bucket to fill it up with pool water for your diapered tot. When finished you use the ice bucket to dump the water in a drain on deck...not back in the pool! You can use it on your balcony too. You just dump the water in the shower drain when finished.

They are allowed. You take a SMALL blow up pool and put it out of the way on a deck. You use an ice bucket to fill it up with pool water for your diapered tot. When finished you use the ice bucket to dump the water in a drain on deck...not back in the pool! You can use it on your balcony too. You just dump the water in the shower drain when finished.

Wow, who knew? That's a pretty good idea, keeps the little ones cool and having fun, as well as keeps them peeing in their very own pools;), BTW moms and dads, no offense here, sincerely think it's a great idea!

Happy Sails!

Romy:)

Wow, who knew? That's a pretty good idea, keeps the little ones cool and having fun, as well as keeps them peeing in their very own pools;), BTW moms and dads, no offense here, sincerely think it's a great idea!

Happy Sails!

Here's a post with a picture that someone posted a few days ago on the Family Cruising Forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=622880

I think it's a great idea too! We have a potty trained 3yo and a 16 month old in diapers. It will be so nice to tell the baby she can go "swimming" too. She LOVES to swim/splash.

Here's a post with a picture that someone posted a few days ago on the Family Cruising Forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=622880

I think it's a great idea too! We have a potty trained 3yo and a 16 month old in diapers. It will be so nice to tell the baby she can go "swimming" too. She LOVES to swim/splash.

What a great little pool, I love the "shader" on it. Cutie Batoody Baby in it too!

Thanks for the pics!

Happy Sails!

Archived