Cinnamon Cache Bakery

cactuscruiser

Just got back tonight from our 12 day land/cruise. Awesome. But a heads up to you folks getting ready to leave - Gail at the the Cinnamon Cache asked me to pass on that they are closing early for the season on August 29th. They are going to a 50th wedding anniversary celebration where Bobo had been the best man at. For the folks that are planning for next year- make the time to drive to Carcross. And print Murray's guide before you go. Tells you everything you see along the way. Words can't do the colors of Emerald Lake justice or the smells in the Cinnamon Cache. We had lunch there - best bread I've ever had. Have to admit this was early in our trip and I was still trying to stay on my diet (had the prerequisite little black dress that I wanted to still fit into!) and I somehow found the willpower to pass on the cinnamon roll. I may regret that the rest of my life! Happy travels everybody.

Darn! I will be there in two weeks and had them on my MUST DO list...rats :(

Thanks for letting us know, though. I guess it's better that I know now than when we get there and find the door locked.

Darn. We will be in Skagway on Labor Day & I had already planned my day as an early breakfast of bacon & scrambled eggs along with the freshly made waffles from the waffle bar walk for a bit, fresh almond croissant from the Cova on board and THEN stop at Carcross. What a bummer. Seriously, THANKS for the heads up. Emerald Lake will still be open, right? For those of you joining us on Labor Day at Skagway let me know & I might just be able to bring an almond croissant for you in lieu of a bun.

Hey Polodad, be sure and bring one for me! Boy am I bummed out, I could just taste those cinnamon rolls, and also read were Yukon (Murray) is going to be out of town over Labor Day also. We have been planning on eatting a roll and meeting Yukon since March. Hope we at least meet some of you on our trip to Skagway.

I'm sure Yukon can give more information, but we did stop in a gas station/convenience store in Carcross and grabbed sodas. It may have also had a place to eat, but since we were stopping at Cinnamon Cache we didn't bother.

Well, if it makes any of you feel any better, I really didn't think the cinnamon rolls were anything spectacular anyway. From what I keep reading, we might have been better off with sandwiches.

They were good, just nothing special. Maybe I'm spoiled because I have a friend I used to work with, and I'd about die for her cinnamon rolls. The people who run it were friendly and it was a nice stop, but the rolls just weren't up to my expectations after reading the boards.

There is a convenience store just outside Carcross that has sandwiches and drinks. There is also a store in Carcross that has some munchies, but not sure exactly what. I know the people with us came back with sodas and chips. Also the ice cream store is in downtown Carcross. Other than these few places, there is nothing along the way.

The buns were good, but I took mine back to the ship to eat the next morning. It wasnt super, but I'm sure if I had eaten it right then and had her heat it up with the icing dripping off the side it would have been better. My fault for eating too much chicken soup and ham sandwich BEFORE I ate dessert. Those were excellent though.

BJ, Bud, John. All of us on cruises are not going to starve because the CC Bakery is closed. Trust me on this. After a couple of days of cruising (the buffet) it will not hurt a tad to miss a meal. In fact, we leave early enough that we will be back for dinner & hopefully hungry. You can either order a lunch from roomservice the night before & bag it or pick up munchies at breakfast. WE WILL NOT STARVE!.

You are right, no chance of going hungry while on the ship but that doesn't mean we can't pout a little! I have been reading about this bakery since I booked our cruise back in March and was looking forward to eating a bite and visiting with the people Yukon has talked about including Yukon. SEVEN MORE DAYS you'all!!

OK guys I will try to bring an assortment of freshly mad croissants from the Cova Cafe onboard. The almond croissants are to die for. I've never met a better cinnamon roll then a Cova croissant (ok, yeah there used to be these super big ones that you could nuke & they were great but I think he quit the bakery & went to work at Enron ....).

but I think he quit the bakery & went to work at Enron ....).

Hey Polodad he may be back at the bakery again!! Wish we all knew what we were driving so we could spot each other on Labor Day. My name really is B J so ask all of the 'blonde' senior ladies that you see. I'll be looking for

person with a bag of sweet rolls!!!

we're in vancouver now.

stopped at the CC on our way to Emerald Lake. The bread with the soup was fantastic! so was my strawberry/rhubarb roll. and sandwich.

emerald lake was beautiful, carcross was a neat little town

murray's guide was wonderful! the pictures are beautiful.

the entire trip was great.

will post a review when we get home

sheree

We stopped at Cinnamon Cache but didn't try their cinnamon buns. They just didn't look appetizing, rather small, filled with fruit filling and pre-wrapped in seran wrap. I had pictured those we've tried at CinnaBuns, the U.S. franchize, very warm, plump and cinnamony, somothered in white icing... which Cache's were definitely NOT. What we did do, was stop where the tour buses stop for lunch. I had brought along some rolls from the ship and we bought a chunk of packaged smoked salmon (local) and made our own sandwiches... yummy! Sorry I can't remember the name of the place, it was "Carcross" something or other, on the right side of the road, on the way to the Lake. You can't actually see the place from the road, just the unpaved turn off between some bushes and trees. But, they did say they're the lunch stop for all the ship's tour buses, so you might ask the cruise ship.

Sany

The place you stopped at for lunch was Caribou Crossing, just north of the Carcross Desert. Each time I've eaten there (while accompanying a tour), I've been unimpressed - the price of cooking for hundreds of people at a time, I guess. The only good food in the area now is Spirit Lake Lodge, just south of Emerald Lake. Once they close in 3 weeks or so, we'll have to go to Whitehorse to have a meal that someone else cooks.

I won't go into the details, but from some of the things I've seen and heard recently, the Cinnamon Cache may not be re-opening again :(

Murray

We ate at Caribou Crossing 2x and it was fine - bbq chicken with a baked potato. I think I was so hungry that day, anything would have tasted ok. I am so used to boxed lunches on all day tours - I was thrilled to get a warm meal on the 7 hour tour.

Yukon - I sure hope Bobo is not sick.

Archived