How many pairs of shoes for 7 nighter?

NonnieT

O.K. - silly question to pass the time til my cruise!!! How many pairs of shoes will you take on a 7 nighter? I think I'm taking about 8 pair............Wanda

As many as my suitcase will hold:D Just joking!!!!

But I think I have solved my shoe dilemma when traveling, especially cruising. I really like flip/flops now and they are so easy to pack, because they are almost weightless, so I have decided I will take about 4-5 pair of flip flops to wear around the ship during the day, one pr of walking shoes for sightseeing off the ship if necessary, and 1 pair of dressy sandals for evening wear. I narrowed it down to 1 pr of dressy sandals because I am packing black and white outfits for dinner, and my white dressy sandals will fit them both. My plan is to pack different style clothing but basically the same colors to avoid many shoes, and I love black and white, brown and beige colors.

Formal night I am wearing a black dress with black sandals. The last cruise we were on we ate in the dining room once, so the skirts/tops I am packing will fit either the dining room or the cafe.

Now we have to see how it all works out!;)

I used to pack a lot more, but I've learned to cut back. Not only does it lighten the load, I didn't wear all the shoes I once took. So, for a 7 night cruise I take 5 pair, one for each type of wear. One pair formal shoes, one for casual evenings, a comfortable pair of sandals that I can walk in, one pair of flip flops for the pool and my sneakers (walking shoes) to walk laps around the deck.

I'd cut back further, but I can't see where. I don't want to wear sneakers off the ship in port, too hot and my sandals are leather, I don't want them around pool water. That would leave the night time shoes and somehow I can't bring myself to wear a more casual shoe with a cocktail or evening dress.

We leave in 2 hours to fly to Tampa...I am wearing a pair of black sandals. taking a pair of casual neutral color, a pair of dress black, and a pair of flip flops for the pool. I have NEVER packed so lightly....I am mostly wearing black & white for dinner:D

I swear, I TRIED to pare it down this year...but I'm not doing so well.

One pair of sneakers (to run and workout in)

One pair of leather sandals (port shopping days)

One pair of black strappy slide heels

One pair of brown strappy slide heels (I just couldn't take ALL black dresses)

One pair of gold strappy heels (matches both formals and supper club dress)

One pair of brown flip-flops

One pair of black flip-flops

One pair of water shoes (IF we get to go to Belize)

Gosh. That's still 8 pairs of shoes! EEK! In my defense, we are going to stay in Orlando two nights after we get back and I'll need stuff then!

On our July cruise, I was really proud of myself. I took one pair of black pumps, 1 pair brown strappy (heeled) sandals, 1 pair thong sandals, and 1 pair water shoes. I used my thonged sandals for walking around during the day.

Have a great time on your cruise.

I have been really thinking about this too, and I am trying very hard to reduce my number of shoes. Last May, I took way too many for 7 nights, I think counting flip flops I had 14 pairs total. My next cruise I am trying to get my packing down to a real minimum. My goal is to only have a 22in roll-aboard and a tote or backpack carry on. Same for my husband, he can do it, he can travel light.

I have been practicing this with some of my land base trips lately. I must say I am getting better! Problem though there have not been many that I need formal things for.

So far for next year's cruise I have on my list 8 pair of shoes, one pair I will be wearing when traveling, so that is a major step in the right direction. My problem is I have two pair of sketchers, one in black and one in a brown. My clothes are all basic black, brown, khaki or red, for the port excursion days, so I am not sure which to go with. I have brown teva leather sandals that I can wear so maybe the black would be my best choice. Hmm, then I would be down to 7 prs., with packing 6 and wearing of one.

I picked the black, brown, khaki and red for my pants, skirts, and shorts so I can wear a variety of different colors for the tops and mix and match.

I think I am making progress, still only have 8 months to go and get this packing light down.

. My goal is to only have a 22in roll-aboard and a tote or backpack carry on. Same for my husband, he can do it, he can travel light.

I think I am making progress, still only have 8 months to go and get this packing light down.

The answer is knits, they pack flatter, lighter and are wrinkle free :) There are some lovely dresses that are very dressy to formal that are knit or matte jersey.

The thing about packing lighter is to pack the right pieces, you can still look pulled together and stylish if you coordinate and make use of accessories rather than more clothes. I coordinate everything so it goes together and will have pieces dry cleaned if necessary. Some things I could wash out in the sink, but I really prefer not to do laundry on vacation, so I send all but unmentionables out.

I always think the statement about the husband being able to pack lighter is funny. I can pack in a carry on, yet my DH still needs a full sized suitcase or garment bag. Our last 3 night cruise, I not only packed all my clothes in a rollaboard but I had to put some of his in my bag as well.

I go through his choices and try to reduce, but he gets this look on his face and I have to go along with his wishes :rolleyes: .

I have also cut way back, on everything not just shoes. I used to pack so much and then never even wear it all. We have gone to wearing much more casual clothes, even in the dining room- no flames please. We want to take it easy on vacation. I wear my tennis shoes since they weigh the most and then take one pair of strappy sandals that work for both formal nights, a couple pairs of flip flops and one casual pair of sandals, maybe two for the rest of the nights. We now can get everything into 1 checked bag and a small carry on each. I can't believe how much we brought our first few cruises, never again!

I usally bring about 6 pairs. I have done 5 and I have done 7.

I can't recall ever bringing more than 7 before.

Now, I sail out of Seattle next month going to the Pacific Northwest

and I know I will need a pair of walking "Shoes" rather than the

walking sandals I use when I am in the Caribbean.

Hopefully I will be in 6 pair range again.

I really don't care how many pairs people bring with them but

it amazes me when I talk to ladies on the ship who bring 17 pairs

for 7 nights. I guess we all have our priorities about what

we need or want....having that many pairs doesn't

do anything for me at all.

I am trying really hard to go with the travel knits, I have found Travel Smith and Coldwater Creek are my best friends. I keep finding things there and now I have way more than I need, not to mention spending $$$$. I need to quit so I can have some spending money for my cruise!

I have packed for my 10 day trip to Orlando, leaving next Thursday afternoon. Found that I was able to get everything in a 22 in rollaboard and I will carry a Vera Bradley overnight tote bag. This trip is not much different than a cruise will be, since we are going out most nights for dinner, shows and some nights clubs so will be dressy. I was able to pack with the travel knits for the most part. I do have cotton T-shirts and tank tops as well as one pair of jeans and jean shorts. This is my packing list:

1 pair black travel knit slacks

1pr black travel knit gauchos

1 knit/jersey halter dress

1 crinkle skirt

1 little black dress

1pr of light weight stretch khaki capri

1pr of the light yoga capri ( not knit but a light weight cotton/spandex I think)

2 pr of shorts 1 white, 1 khaki

1pr jean shorts

1pr jeans

2 sprakley dress tops

3 dress tank tops(2 are cami style)

2 casual shirts that can be worn into the evening if needed

2 T-shirts, plus my new Tinker Bell t-shirt

1 Halloween t-shirt ( because the last night we are going to stay at the Magic Kingdom for the opening night of Mickey's not so Scarey Halloween Party)

2 solid swim suit bottoms, and 4 tops to mix and match ( next trip I am only doing one bottom and 2 tops)

1 cover up and flip flops for pool side

6pr of underwear, 2 bras, 2 pair of socks, 1 night shirt, 1 set silk pj's with the silk robe(they take up no room at all) 1 half slip.

Shoes: 1pr black slide on sandals, 1pr sketchers, 1 pr bronze thong sandals, 1pr white slide on sandals and while I am driving I will wear my tennis shoes.

I have a travel umbrella and a light weight rain/windbreaker jacket and will have my cosmetics, meds, jewelry to add last.

Not really too bad for me, I am really proud of how well I planned this out.

We leave in 2 hours to fly to Tampa...I am wearing a pair of black sandals. taking a pair of casual neutral color, a pair of dress black, and a pair of flip flops for the pool. I have NEVER packed so lightly....I am mostly wearing black & white for dinner:D

You sound like me - trying to pare down on my packing and shoes ( I am a dreadful overpacker) - and seem to be ending up w/lots of black and white (with a few colored camisoles thrown in). I am really evaluating things I will only wear once! I have never yet been able to pack in one suitcase (esp without going over the 50 lb limit so may end up w/2 anyways and put the heavy stuff/shoes in there).

So trying to cut down on shoes which is much harder to do - so far:

1 pair high wedge black sandals

1 pair black flip flops

1 pair fancy/formal black/silver sandals

1 pair low white sandals

1 pair high/wedge white sandals

white canvas sports/deck shoes

Water shoes (do these really count?)

Wearing my runners on the plain - and have another high pair of patent wedge sandals - but I have trouble walking with them on land - let alone on a moving ship :eek: so might leave them at home?

Lots of shoes for 1 week!

Froufie

I leave this Saturday the 15th and I am at 9 pairs...that is without even putting any thought or time into it...Oh dear, by Saturday I could be at 12-15...(DH will draw the line!) LOL I need an intervention for sure!:eek: I used to be so good at not overpacking LOL:confused: :o

Im going an 8 day. I plan to bring 2 pairs of flip flops to wear the whole time and 2 pair of dress shoes to match my formal dresses.

Hi,:) so you wear flips flops for dinner then? Never occured to me

to do that.

I have sandals for my casual outfits but my flip flops are usually

for around the pool.

to do that.

for around the pool.

That's pretty much the only time I wear flip flops too (around the pool). If we left the ship I wore my trekking sandals, and they work great for the beach too since they are waterproof. That said, on our recent trip to St. Thomas, I put on my Reefs when I got to the hotel, and didn't wear any other shoes until we left for the airport to go home!! It was a VERY casual trip - nice to do that once in a while!! :)

to do that.

for around the pool.

I may some nights but now that you mentioned it I'll bring a pair of sandals for some dinner nights.;)

Archived