Is Our TA Up To Something?

GTO-Girl

Maybe I'm missing something here, but exactly how is she being ripped off? She pays $70 for a $100 onboard credit. She gets to spend the $100 while onboard, $30 more than she would have had, had she not put the money up front. She still comes out $30 ahead! If my weak math is somewhat correct, that is about 40 percent on her initial investment. She would be hardput to find that kind of interest at a bank!

It could be something that the travel folks the cousin is working with advised her on. Don't always conclude that you are being cheated. You have just made $30!!

Thanks for everyone's responses......I did make the mistake of posting on the Carnival board since this is a Carnival cruise I thought they might have some insite.....WOW did I get blasted. I won't make that mistake again.

I'm not sure why people have to get all worked up and nasty to people who are just trying to ask a question. If they would check any of my previous posts they would know that I have tried to be nothing but kind to anyone I have replied to.

As far as the original problem we have decided in order to keep peace in the family we will just "pass" on this deal and let it go. This is the last time we will deal with her on a cruise. We have booked them before ourselves when just the two of us were going and I think it's the best thing for us to continue to do in the future.

Thanks again to all who posted

Dianne

Dianne, don't worry about it. Some Carnival fans are loyal to the point of blindness. Any report of anything bad happening surrounding any Carnival cruise sends them into DefCon 1. Doesn't matter if the bad thing actually has anything to do with Carnival or not. Your posts in both threads were civil, and clear that the fault did not lie with the cruiseline. You were simply using the boards for what they are intended for: getting opinions and feedback from other cruisers.

I think you made the right decision, BTW. No amount of money is worth ruining family relations, especially this relatively small amount.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

I really do appreciate everybody's help. I think sometimes when you are posting something on the internet it can read differently than if you said it out loud......and that goes both

ways....reader and sender. So no offense taken but I think I'll wait awhile before I try to venture out and ask another question. I'm much better off just to read other people's posts and usually my question gets answered anyway. Thanks again.....Happy Sailing everyone!!!

GTO-Girl.....sorry you had a bad experience here on CC boards....don't hesitate to post you will have fun and most are friendly. :)

If she is charging you $70 per person and not per couple maybe it is for pre paid gratuities and not toward OBC.

Wow - hadn't thought of that - maybe there is a special for groups - if you prepay the gratuities, you can get an onboard credit - it actually sounds logical.

GTO-girl, I would definitely ask what the extra $70 is for before deciding not to go with the family.

Nope it was definately not for gratuities....we prepaid those when we booked.

Like I said before we've elected not to pay the $70 but are certainly going on the cruise. Like a previous poster said, $30 is not a big enough deal to stress over and having family problems.

After receiving a post showing the points system TA's can earn, I'm sure it's got something to do with her earning points and that's fine But I'm just the kind of person who trys to do things on the up and up. If she needed us to pay that to earn points, then she should have just said so and I would have been happy to help.

Anyway.....enough on this subject and on to more pleasant things. Thanks to all who responded, I really do appreciate everyone's help.

Happy Sailing Everybody!

Dianne

Anyone, even you, and call the cruiseline and tell them you want to book a group. In return if you have 10 or more cabins book the cruiseline will give you a free cabin. As for the on-board credit no cruiseline is going to charge you $70 for a $100 credit. Either make your own plans, the same date and ship, she is sailing on or contact a legimate travel agency and book through them.

Your cousin is taking you for an expensive ride.

My humble take on the $70/person ... if 8 to 10 couples are in the group and the T/A gets one free berth and she and her spouse go on the cruise, my guess is that the extra money she's collecting may be to fund her spouse's passage. Skeptical? Yeah, but that could very well be the scenario.

Archived