Is Our TA Up To Something?

GTO-Girl

My cousin is a "travel agent" but about the only thing she does is organize a group cruise every year on which she and her husband also go.

My question is this....for the second year she is collecting an extra $70 up front from everyone and in return she says we get a $100 obc. Why doesn't she just say everyone has a $30 obc? Something just sounds "fishy" about this to me.

Does anyone have any idea what the reason is behind this? Just doesn't make sense to me....

Thanks

Dianne

I paid the first time she asked because we didnt' know any better. This time my husband and I said "no thanks". Not sure what the others have done. There are about 8 to 10 couples going at this point.

I think you're right....I think there's $$$ being pocketed somewhere.

Please somebody tell me "it ain't so"......

Dianne

My cousin is a "travel agent" but about the only thing she does is organize a group cruise every year on which she and her husband also go.

My question is this....for the second year she is collecting an extra $70 up front from everyone and in return she says we get a $100 obc. Why doesn't she just say everyone has a $30 obc? Something just sounds "fishy" about this to me.

Does anyone have any idea what the reason is behind this? Just doesn't make sense to me....

Thanks

Dianne

If your "so-called " "travel agent" cousin is organizing a cruise, depending on the amount of people, say booking 16 cabins for that particular cruise, the orgainzer can sail for free.

Why don't you ask your cousin why you are paying $70 more for the OBC?

Did you check to see if your cruise is offering a $100 obc?

Wow!! Unless there's something we're all missing, this is unbelievable and your TA(?) needs to do some splainin'. Just makes no sense for you to pay $70 for $100 OBC, doesn't add up.:rolleyes:

Ask her to explain and please come back and tell us what's going on. The explanation might be interesting.

You need to start asking some questions. Sounds to me like the cousin is up to no good, at least something is very fishy. You never give a TA money towards on board credit.

BTW, is this cousin an acredited travel agent or is she just making all your reservations for you?

As others have stated, the “organizer” is getting a freebie cruise out of this.

As for the front money, is it possible that whatever deal she has going, she has to show “earnest” money from the potential cruisers? Not a deposit, but a something something that is a bit more than just a list of names. Is it possible she is not dealing directly with the cruise line, but another T/A or wholesaler?

Sadly enough this isn't the first time I've heard of this type of behavior!

A wife (who also uses the term TA or cruise organizer) of a co-worker does this too. This past year they convinced another co-worker to go on one of these group cruises with them. Let's just say the co-worker came away very disillusioned with cruising (first cruise) since the "TA" explained nothing about the cruise experience to her. Granted the woman should have done her own research, but trusted the "TA" since these folks appeared to be "friends" who would take care of her.

Very sad!

I paid the first time she asked because we didnt' know any better. This time my husband and I said "no thanks". Not sure what the others have done. There are about 8 to 10 couples going at this point.

I think you're right....I think there's $$$ being pocketed somewhere.

Please somebody tell me "it ain't so"......

Dianne

What are the details of the cruise, where, what ship, when, what type of cabin? I will tell you the cost and then you will know if you were getting taken advantage of.

Wow, check out the Carnival board. The OP posted the same question over there, and they're freaking out, thinking that their beloved Carnival is being accused of something nefarious. :D

you ain't kidding! sheesh!

some people over on the Carnival board must have twisted knickers!

I'm a travel agent that does a lot of groups. With the amount of cabins that are booked. The TA can get anywhere from 100.00 to 200.00 off each and every cabin. This is a perk by the cruiseline. I hate to say this but your TA wants you to pay 70.00 OBC so all she/he has to pay is 30.00. Normally the TA would give everyone a 100.00 OBC. This smells not only of a rat, but a decaying rat. Holy Moly if I did that to my family and friends, they'd disown me for sure, and rightly so. Apparently this TA has been around the block before and is REALLY taking advantage of all of you. I am so sorry..

Just to clear a point....having organized 4 cruises for family and friends. The group leader gets 1 "cruise only" (must pay port charges and taxes and airfare) w/every 16 persons. If there are GAP (group amenity.......free wine in cabin etc) they are given directly to the friends and family. If there are any perks such as $50 for booking by a certain time...that goes directly to the friend or family. There should be no other charges up front?????

These are normal group incentives......someone should tell the cousin to get a different group to lead!!

Thanks for everyone's responses......I did make the mistake of posting on the Carnival board since this is a Carnival cruise I thought they might have some insite.....WOW did I get blasted. I won't make that mistake again.

I'm not sure why people have to get all worked up and nasty to people who are just trying to ask a question. If they would check any of my previous posts they would know that I have tried to be nothing but kind to anyone I have replied to.

As far as the original problem we have decided in order to keep peace in the family we will just "pass" on this deal and let it go. This is the last time we will deal with her on a cruise. We have booked them before ourselves when just the two of us were going and I think it's the best thing for us to continue to do in the future.

Thanks again to all who posted

Dianne

I only wanted to help you, I have no intention of blasting you at all. If I had a relative that was cheating me (which she is!) I would need to quietly tell her that you realize what she is doing. If she is not fair with the other relatives next year you will it necessary to tell them also. By keeping quiet you are allowing her to steal from your relatives. After some thought on this I am sure you will not want her to continue.

I give you a lot of credit for bowing out! Find a cruise for a great price and tell your family about the price that you found.

That is all I was trying to help you do - find out what kind of price you should be paying.

You sound like a find lady.

Thanks for everyone's responses......I did make the mistake of posting on the Carnival board since this is a Carnival cruise I thought they might have some insite.....WOW did I get blasted. I won't make that mistake again.

I'm not sure why people have to get all worked up and nasty to people who are just trying to ask a question. If they would check any of my previous posts they would know that I have tried to be nothing but kind to anyone I have replied to.

As far as the original problem we have decided in order to keep peace in the family we will just "pass" on this deal and let it go. This is the last time we will deal with her on a cruise. We have booked them before ourselves when just the two of us were going and I think it's the best thing for us to continue to do in the future.

Thanks again to all who posted

Dianne

sorry i suggested it....i read some of the stuff over there.....sheesh!

I really do appreciate everybody's help. I think sometimes when you are posting something on the internet it can read differently than if you said it out loud......and that goes both ways....reader and sender.

So no offense taken but I think I'll wait awhile before I try to venture out and ask another question. I'm much better off just to read other people's posts and usually my question gets answered anyway.

Thanks again.....Happy Sailing everyone!!!

Try not to judge her until you get her side of the story. Simply asking what the $70 dollars is for should evoke a simple response. If she is evasive, then you have your answer. If she has a plausible response, then you have saved your relationship.

I'd go one step further -- I'd tell her that I posted the question on CC & NO ONE else has ever heard of such a thing. That everyone else's obc was free -- not purchased! So why is she charging?

If it is a "scam", I'd let her know that I'll tell the rest of the family immediately if she DARES to cheat them this year! If she pulled the same scam last year, I'd tell her you expect her to refund that!

If she's been cheating her family or trying to now, why should you have to tip toe around her & let her continue to cheat everyone? Or give up the pleasure of traveling with your family because you don't want to deal with her? She obviously doesn't care about your feelings so I sure wouldn't worry about hers!!:mad:

I really wouldn't even consider her a travel agent if she only does one group a year and that's for family. You have to have certain minimums to get a CLIA or IATA card and one group a year doesn't cut it. She's just a family member making the arrangements and anyone can do that with the cruise line. Perhaps she's charging a fee from everyone to compensate her for the work she's doing, since she doesn't sound like a legitmate travel agent she wouldn't get any commission from the cruise line.

Archived