1st time to book on Carnival, many questions

happy cruzer

Hi, I need advice from the great CCer's again.

I found a 5 night cruise out of Galveston that I am dieing to book. It is in late 2008 so of course plans may change.

1) How much is Carnival's deposit? And what are the time periods involved for cancellation? Couldn't find it on their website.

2) I'm thinking of just booking directly with Carnival for several reasons. First I want to be sure that if I cancel there will be no cancellation fee, some of the Travel agents hide that fee. So if the fare were to drop, does Carnival give you the lower fare, an OBC or an upgrade anything? Is it easy to get if you book directly? Does Carnival refund the deposit quickly/easily? Do folks get perks from TAs for booking the 5 day inside cabin, never booked a cruise this short before, sometimes I use a TA sometimes I don't?

3) If friends, decide to cruise with us later (not in same cabin) can we link the reservation for dinner?

4) Have cruised on HAL and Princess, do any of the repeat cruiser things carry over to Carnival? We are platinum on Princess.

Thanks in advance for advice!

The only one of your questions that I can answer with complete confidence is the one about linking for dinner. If your friends book later, they can still link your reservations so that you can eat together. I just had this happen. Hubby and I booked a cruise and then some family booked theirs about a month later and they simply told their PVP and she linked us all to a 6 person table in the dinning room (or maybe a bigger table? we are all together though)

Hopefully someone can answer your other questions :)

But in chatting with one of the Carnival people he told us that if we ever decided to cruise with another line make sure we chose one of the Carnival brands because the past cruiser program works between all of them.

Help with question 4...

4) Unfortunaltely not...you will be eligible for VIP rates, but not for past guest credit and no recognition as a past guest. Yes, Princess and HAL are part of the same network as CCL but CCL will only recognize past guests if you have actually sailed CCL. :(

We wanted to sail Princess (1st time) but we wouldnt be recognized as a past cruiser even though we sailed with CCL.

Help with question 4...

4) Unfortunaltely not...you will be eligible for VIP rates, but not for past guest credit and no recognition as a past guest. Yes, Princess and HAL are part of the same network as CCL but CCL will only recognize past guests if you have actually sailed CCL. :(

We wanted to sail Princess (1st time) but we wouldnt be recognized as a past cruiser even though we sailed with CCL.

I have no experience, but as I posted above we were just told the opposite.

Your depoait will be $250. Money will be fully refunded anytime before "final" is due. After that, your penalty increases the closer to your cruise you cancel. You should have no problem getting refunds/OBC/et cetera through Carnival.

I wish HAL/Princess cruises counted as far as Carnival "perks" go. Pricing advantages, yes. But things like "free laundry", no.

For questions 1 and 2, if you go to Carnival's home page ... on the lower portion, far right, is the link for "Customer Service". Here's part of the contract info. Deposit is $250 per person.

6. CANCELLATION BY GUEST, REFUNDS

Reservations will be held until 30 minutes prior to departure. No refunds will be made in the event of “no shows”, unused tickets, lost tickets, interruptions, partially used tickets, or cancellations received late or after the start of the cruise. A cancellation occurs when a stateroom is released and not simultaneously rebooked on the same sailing. Carnival strongly recommends the purchase of trip cancellation insurance from your travel agent. Cancellation charges for individual bookings will be assessed as listed below. For cancellation charges related to group bookings, partial ship charters or full ship charters refer to your charter contract or group booking agreement for terms and conditions.

DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE DATE

2, 3, 4 & 5 DAY CRUISES

CANCELLATION CHARGE (per guest)Up to 61 days None (except cruises to nowhere*)60 to 30 daysDeposit**29 to 8 days50% of Total Fare7 days or less 100% of Total Fare

Thanks for all the help.

$250 pp for deposit for a 5 nighter? Wow, I am only paying about 375 pp for the entire thing. 250 could be the entire amont for some cruises. the time periods for cancellation fees seem pretty standard so that part is good.

Wow. Thanks for the info and any other advice is very welcome.

Thanks for all the help.

$250 pp for deposit for a 5 nighter? Wow, I am only paying about 375 pp for the entire thing. 250 could be the entire amont for some cruises. the time periods for cancellation fees seem pretty standard so that part is good.

Is it the Ecstasy that you are booking?

Your depoait will be $200-250. Money will be fully refunded anytime before "final" is due. After that, your penalty increases the closer to your cruise you cancel. You should have no problem getting refunds/OBC/et cetera through Carnival.

I wish HAL/Princess cruises counted as far as Carnival "perks" go. Pricing advantages, yes. But things like "free laundry", no.

The deposit depends on how long your cruise is. Our twelve night cruise that we have booked for next September was $500.00 p/p.

I have always booked directly with Carnival. They are easy to deal with and your personnel vacation planner can be very helpful.

If you or your spouse has ever served in the military ask about their military rate, if they offer it for your cruise it is usually the best rate.

Your depoait will be $250. Money will be fully refunded anytime before "final" is due. After that, your penalty increases the closer to your cruise you cancel. You should have no problem getting refunds/OBC/et cetera through Carnival.

Sorry, but Im sure the deposit is $200 pp, not $250. The OP said she is talking about the 5 day (Ecstasy) out of Galveston. I know because its what I paid.

You do get free laundry after 10 cruises...well free fold and wash service once you become platinum.

Thanks for all the help.

No, as I said below....the deposit is $200 pp on the 5 day. I think some didnt catch that you are talking about a 5 day cruise, not a 7 day.

In fact Iv got two deposits up for Jan 08 and Jan 09 and both were $200 pp on the 5 day.

If you book with a PVP at Carnival, right up to the day of sailing they will refund or give you OBC if the price drops, depending on when it happens. If you book thru a TA sometimes they are more reluctant to give a price drop as it affects their commission and is more work for them.

Hi, I need advice from the great CCer's again.

I found a 5 night cruise out of Galveston that I am dieing to book. It is in late 2008 so of course plans may change.

1) How much is Carnival's deposit? And what are the time periods involved for cancellation? Couldn't find it on their website.

2) I'm thinking of just booking directly with Carnival for several reasons. First I want to be sure that if I cancel there will be no cancellation fee, some of the Travel agents hide that fee. So if the fare were to drop, does Carnival give you the lower fare, an OBC or an upgrade anything? Is it easy to get if you book directly? Does Carnival refund the deposit quickly/easily? Do folks get perks from TAs for booking the 5 day inside cabin, never booked a cruise this short before, sometimes I use a TA sometimes I don't?

3) If friends, decide to cruise with us later (not in same cabin) can we link the reservation for dinner?

4) Have cruised on HAL and Princess, do any of the repeat cruiser things carry over to Carnival? We are platinum on Princess.

Thanks in advance for advice!

WHY don't you call Carnival, you will get the right answers

Bob

Archived