Easiest (Quickest) way to locate alternate Flights?

ladysheri

I have just booked our flights SEA--FLL in November and we are routed through Detroit. I have read a lot of advice (here and on flyertalk) from frequent flyers on having a list of alternate flights handy in case a flight is canceled/delayed/etc. We are traveling 2 days early, but with it being November and Detroit would still like to have a list of DTW-FLL flights. I know that I can find addl flights by using the reservations page on nwa.com but that seems cumbersome. Is there an easier way to go about this???

Thanks!

NW has an electronic timetable that you can update every week with the new schedules. Download it to your computer and you have the latest info.

Since NW is part of SkyTeam, I would also download the DL and CO electronic timetable programs. Now you have the various SkyTeam options, just in case you can't fly NW, but might be able to get out on either CO or DL (via CLE, CVG, ATL, IAH or EWR).

A composite that has much info, but not all connections is the SkyTeam electronic timetable, available at the SkyTeam website.

If you don't want to get the electronic timetable program, you can download the current PDF of the timetable. This is the new "high-tech" version of the old paper timetables - just using PDF instead of paper and ink. Again, available from the airline websites. Just look for downloadable timetables on the site.

Another alternative, which also shows seat availability, is ExpertFlyer, which is a pay service. I personally think the fee is well worth it for a frequent flyer as myself - your mileage may vary.

I wouldnt really worry to much about DTW. Being a Michigander, I know that when the state gets snow, its mainly West Michigan that gets it (closer to Chicago) versus Detroit. Thats why most people I know fly Detroit versus Chicago that time of year - to avoid the weather. Have a backup plan, but I wouldnt go overboard on making sure I have a ton of options. I use kayak dot com to get ideas on flights. All in all, if its NW, I would be more concerned about them not having enough pilots to fly the planes, but I heard that should be under control by now.

I have just booked our flights SEA--FLL in November and we are routed through Detroit. I have read a lot of advice (here and on flyertalk) from frequent flyers on having a list of alternate flights handy in case a flight is canceled/delayed/etc. We are traveling 2 days early, but with it being November and Detroit would still like to have a list of DTW-FLL flights. I know that I can find addl flights by using the reservations page on nwa.com but that seems cumbersome. Is there an easier way to go about this???

Thanks!

I think the easiest for you would be go to itasoftware.com. Put in your dates, specific times, other info, etc.

When the matrix comes up, click on NW, Continental, Delta. Look at the flights-pick the alternatives (ones through different hubs, with different stops) that still get you to the ship on time. You can easily print out the info by clicking on details

Otherwise, you have to go to NW/Continental/Delta, choose by schedule and build your own itinerary. It CAN be complicated. But you are looking for flights out of SEA/DTW that can get you to the ship, REGARDLESS of the routing.

Example: SEA to DTW flight is cancelled. But there is a flight leaving about the same time on Continental through Houston, continuing on to FLL. Or there is a flight through Memphis, continuing on to FLL. (I did not look up the schedules nor do I fly NWA, Continental or Delta-just an example)

This is the kind of "alternative" flights you are looking for.

How I'd do it is be familiar with each of the SkyTeam partners (Continental, Delta, & Northwest) as mentioned and their hubs.

Since Seattle is not a hub for any of the above, you'll need to first get a flight to any key hub city. They are:

Continental: Houston, Cleveland, & Newark

Delta: Salt Lake City, Atlanta, Cincinnati, JFK/LGA

Northwest: Minneapolis, Detroit, & Memphis

So what you'll do is a two step process.....Seattle to any of the hub cities listed above and then from that hub city to FLL. Since you're going eastward, your best bet is to fly as early in the day as possible in order to make any connections which will likely be in the afternoon/early evening since most of these are midwest & eastern hubs.

If getting really inventive, you can do a 2-hub transfer. I.e. you get to DTW but nothing is flying from DTW to FLL. Next gate over is a Continental flight to CLE however and you know that you can connect to a FLL flight from CLE if you make that particualr flight. That's one way of doing it.

Another way is to fly into an alternate south Florida airport like PBI or MIA. Sometimes a flight to FLL might be delayed/cancelled but the flight to PBI or MIA is operating on schedule.

Thank you to everyone....Great ideas and suggestions. We are catching a redeye from Seattle to Detroit and I had not considered that flight as possibly having any issues (not sure why), but certainly need to be prepared for any eventuality. I had only been really worrying about the DTW-FLL leg, but I can see that I do need to have alternatives for the entire route. lyttleone1977...thanks for the optimism regarding Detroit--I am just remembering the nightmare of last winter and want to be ready just in case. JJPNYC....thanks for the list of hubs that are important for us. I have copied them into my "Super" Trip Planner doc.

I had looked on nwa.com for schedules and not located them previously. Tonight I went back and finally found them and downloaded the World Timetable tool....very cool. We will get this (and Delta and Continental) loaded on the DH's laptop and be in a very good situation, I believe. Hopefully, it won't be necessary for our cruise, but I can see that at the very least it may come in handy for my husband's business travels. He is new to traveling and could certainly have used this tool last year in the Feb. 14th Eastcoast debacle.

I really REALLY appreciate all of the expertise on this board....thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!

Sheri

The good news is that the SEA-DTW redeye is not the last flight out for NW. It usually goes out at 10:something PM....then there is the redeye to MSP that leaves after midnight. NW has a good sized operation at SEA, though not at hub level, so there are equipment and flight options available if NW has a prob and needs to reroute.

In addition, CO usually has a flight to both IAH and EWR that leaves around midnight, so you have those additional possibilities to work with.

The bad news is that if you can't work those for an alternative, you'll be sticking around at SEA until morning. If that's the case, I'd leave the airport and walk across the street to the 13 Coins restaurant - great food 24/7.

Another suggestion: the Skyguide website.

Does this include flights by Southwest Airlines? (And, if not, what other airlines?) In my favorite test of PVD-BWI it did not return any nonstop flights. It also didn't show any WN for SEA to FLL. If so, I would prefer going to Smarter Travel. Also, good sorting features.

Archived