Best way to get to Yankee Stadium

jack300s

This will be our first trip to New York. We're catching a Yankee game. We'll be staying at the International Barleys on East 48th Street.

What's the best way to get to a weekend afternoon game and back from East Manhattan.

Thank's......

I can't tell you which one (Jersey girls drive everywhere, even in NYC) but subway will be your best bet. I'm sure the route is posted on the Yankee's website & the subway's website. Also your hotel concierge will know.

If you don't want a subway, private car service would be the more luxurious choice.

Easiest way from where you are is to take the subway (4 line Bronx-bound) from Grand Central. The station is adjacent to Yankee stadium, about a 30 minute trip.

This will be our first trip to New York. We're catching a Yankee game. We'll be staying at the International Barleys on East 48th Street.

What's the best way to get to a weekend afternoon game and back from East Manhattan.

Thank's......

Easiest way from where you are is to take the subway (4 line Bronx-bound) from Grand Central. The station is adjacent to Yankee stadium, about a 30 minute trip.

And please, BE PREPARED for a massive crush of people getting on and off the subway. Kind of like 100 people trying to evacuate a theater in a fire. EVERYONE gets on at the same time.

You just have to go with the flow or wait until the crowds thin out. If you have kids with you, hold on to them tight. Enjoy!!!!

each train can hold over 1200 people 150 per car. If its a day game and you leave before 11(so you can walk through Monument park) it will be little problem. Buy sandwiches to eat at the park. They check you bags for glass and cans however.....

When the game ends they will bring up extra trains to take the people home....There is plenty of security and the people on the subway will be very friendly even if the Yanks lose(rarely).

A car/taxi etc is a real pain as the traffic and lack of parking makes the streets all but impassible.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nyy

They used to have ferry service that ran from the Seaport directly to the stadium. I'm not sure if they still offer that service, but it's a nice way to get to and from the stadium.

here is the Ferry schedule....but I still recommend the subway. You have to get to the Ferry First and unless you have reserved you get off on the last stop before the stadium at the closest Ferry at the FDR and 34th street and its $21.00 round trip as opposed to $4.00 round trip on the subway...

http://www.nyyankeeclipper.com/schedule.shtml

We're from CT and sailing on Tuesday from Brooklyn pier. DH's Yankees ticket partner is giving us a ride to the pier (sailing at 5) and then he intends to proceed from the pier to Yankee Stadium to take in the game (without DH, who is bereft).

Can you help with two questions? We have good directions (probably yours!) to the pier from CT, but can you assist with some directions FROM Brooklyn pier TO Fordham, where he's picking up his daughter to use DH's ticket? Once at Fordham he's quite familiar with getting to the stadium but he is uncertain about the pier to Fordham directions.

Second question - people are alarming DH about how long it takes from central CT to Brooklyn pier via the Merritt. I figured we could leave at noon. We have had a death in the family and are way behind in our preparations so I want/need the extra time at home. They usually make Yankee Stadium from our house in 1.5 hours, is it unreasonable to expect they could make Brooklyn pier in 2-2.5 hours?

Thank you in advance!

We're from CT and sailing on Tuesday from Brooklyn pier. DH's Yankees ticket partner is giving us a ride to the pier (sailing at 5) and then he intends to proceed from the pier to Yankee Stadium to take in the game (without DH, who is bereft).

Can you help with two questions? We have good directions (probably yours!) to the pier from CT, but can you assist with some directions FROM Brooklyn pier TO Fordham, where he's picking up his daughter to use DH's ticket? Once at Fordham he's quite familiar with getting to the stadium but he is uncertain about the pier to Fordham directions.

Second question - people are alarming DH about how long it takes from central CT to Brooklyn pier via the Merritt. I figured we could leave at noon. We have had a death in the family and are way behind in our preparations so I want/need the extra time at home. They usually make Yankee Stadium from our house in 1.5 hours, is it unreasonable to expect they could make Brooklyn pier in 2-2.5 hours?

Thank you in advance!

As I said my summer house was in Westbrook CT. During the summer we go to Old Saybrook for the weekend. It rarely takes is 3 hours from there mostly in the 2 .5 hour range so you should be fine getting to the pier before 3( I personally would leave at 11 but that is me)...Generally during the day traffic isn't terrible but listen to the radio coming and be prepared to take an alternate if necessary.

At that time of day(2-3 pm) I would go the following way to Fordham. After leaving the pier on Bowne Street straight ahead to just past the tolls on the left you see entrance to the BQE east take that its a dark tunnel and comes up on the highway take the Brooklyn Bridge exit over the Brooklyn Bridge to the FDR north all the way until it ends at Dyckman Street(stay to your right as you see the people going up to the GWB you don't want this). at the light stay to your right until you come to 207th street and make the right and cross the bridge which becomes Fordham Road and follow the signs..... I have made this without traffic in 30 minutes and it should be early enough that traffic shouldn't be too bad....and it misses the yankee stadium traffic as you are staying on the manhattan side.

This isn't how mapquest sends you I looked at the mapquest way and this will be much less traffic...

PPS if he has an extra ticket I'll meet you at the pier and Navigate :)

Unless you know NYC and the subway sytem, Id advise you to hail a cap or limo to get you there. The subway sytem can be very confusing. I was almost to Shea stadium before I realized we were on the wrong train. THEN once on the right train, about half way there it decided it didnt wanna run anymore for the day. Paid $50.00 for a limo and it was the most fun I had in NYC. The biggest thrill ride in the city.

Unless you know NYC and the subway sytem, Id advise you to hail a cap or limo to get you there. The subway sytem can be very confusing. I was almost to Shea stadium before I realized we were on the wrong train. THEN once on the right train, about half way there it decided it didnt wanna run anymore for the day. Paid $50.00 for a limo and it was the most fun I had in NYC. The biggest thrill ride in the city.

Okay, I am a METS FAN to, so I need to warn you. Some of these "LIMOS" are not really licensed, and are out to take advantage of tourists. Taking the subway to Shea Stadium is easy from Manhattan. Take the IRT Number 7 Express towards Flushing Queens. Get off at Shea Stadium. If you take the local it is okay but it will take you longer. Tourists might want to take a special Long Island Rail Road train which brings you directly to Shea Stadium. It costs more, but it is less crowded and confusing.

Having traveled a lot of subway systems in the world, NY subways are not confusing. They are pretty straight forward. To get on the subway to Shea stadium a number 7 instead of a number 4(or the D or B), these are the three yankee stadium ones, given that the number is posted on the station in Big signs that say where its going and on the front of every train and twice on each subway car(normally 8-10 per train) on the side takes an enormous amount of work. The traffic to either stadium before a game is terrible and may take your literally a hour instead of less than half of that on a subway which costs $2.00 per person.

While almost all black cars are licensed(the day of the gypsy cab is over- with 30,000 police and much less crime, they would be off the road in a flash), $50.00 to get to the game made the driver very happy.

I drive pretty much every where in NY City to the theatre, to shop in Manhattan etc but the subway is the WAY to get to the game(ok you can also take the LIRR to Shea or Metro North to Yankee Stadium-these are the commuter railroads- but you have to get to the rail road station first- generally by subway.)

I'm not even into baseball but what a Yankees game it was last night, eh? The shouting and cursing in the living room turned into ecstasy in a flash!

Seriously, thanks for the directions from pier to Fordham, it will be a big help to our friend, and if he does turn up with an extra ticket for that game and you're serious, I'll let you know.

We will probably leave here a little before noon to make everyone happy. I estimate 2.5 hours and that's enough for my comfort level under the circumstances. Next port is Newport if we miss the boat, haha. We've been there many times and could always go there instead to board. Believe me this is not my normal attitude towards such matters but with the death in the family I consider us very fortunate to be even going on this cruise. It's been a real nightmare.

Thanks again!

I'm not even into baseball but what a Yankees game it was last night, eh? The shouting and cursing in the living room turned into ecstasy in a flash!

Seriously, thanks for the directions from pier to Fordham, it will be a big help to our friend, and if he does turn up with an extra ticket for that game and you're serious, I'll let you know.

We will probably leave here a little before noon to make everyone happy. I estimate 2.5 hours and that's enough for my comfort level under the circumstances. Next port is Newport if we miss the boat, haha. We've been there many times and could always go there instead to board. Believe me this is not my normal attitude towards such matters but with the death in the family I consider us very fortunate to be even going on this cruise. It's been a real nightmare.

Thanks again!

they won't let you get on at Newport its a PSA violation but if you have two Yankee tickets....it could be arranged....

My deepest condolences on your loss.

Sid

Archived