young crowd

mash1982

Whoever told you that was way off base.

You will see plenty of young married couples, older married couples, singles in all age ranges, families with young kids, everything.

Avoid cruises during the summer months and other times that school is out if you want to avoid a lot of kids.

I have cruised with Carnival, Norwegian and Royal Caribbean and have seen a good mix of people on all of them.

Happy cruising!!

I've only cruised Carnival, twice, but I can tell you that they're the right "fit" for me. DH and I are in our early 30's, and have cruised with 2-3 other couples in our age group, and we always have a blast. Carnival is lots of fun, not stuffy, with a nice mix of passenger "demographics". A lot depends on when you cruise, as well. The two times we have gone, it's been April-May, AFTER spring break but before kids are out of school. And it's been GREAT. There's as much to do as you want (activities, games, entertainers, night clubs, piano bar, shows, etc.) or as little. Plenty of places to people watch or quiet corners to be with just yourselves and/or a good book.

As much as I agree with trying other lines, in theory, I just can't justify it when we're completely satisfied with everything Carnival has to offer...from the service, to the amenities, the itineraries offered, to the food and entertainment, to the VALUE (and the military discount offered to DH, who was in the Coast Guard for 6 years).

Just my humble opinion. ;)

In my opinion, everyone can find something to enjoy on a cruise. Whether it is a "party", relaxing by the pool, dancing, etc. You don't mention your exact ages but you might consider RCCL, Celebrity or Princess. You will probably find more families with kids on RCCL than the other 2 but it is still a great option for couples. Celebrity will probably have the least number of kids but probably the most retired people. The atmosphere is typically a little more "refined" and low-key...no PA announcements other than the report from the bridge at noon. The typical age is 40 + and some will say that there isn't much in the way of "nightlife". FYI...my husband and I are 42 and have been on 9 Celebrity sailings and we enjoy the more "refined" atmosphere. Princess is also a good option. Probably a slightly younger crowd.

Obviously...if you go during peak times (summer, school breaks, etc) there will be many children/families no matter what line you choose. If you really want to get away from kids, choose fall or January...also better prices...but keep in mind that it will probably also be a slightly older crowd.

Soccer Mom

Hi guys, I've never been on a cruise, but heard that cruises are for families with kids and retired people. Can you recommend a cruise line/ship for a young married couple? Looking for laid-back atmosphere.

thanks!

what a ridiculous stereotype!!

I wouldn't worry too much about who else will be on board since the pax mix will vary. Pick the itinerary you desire and have fun!

weve been on carnival.NCL and celebrity and we are in our early 30's and the best for what you are asking about would be Carnival, then NCL, on all the cruises weve taken on these lines,there seems to be a good mix of different age ranges..

celebrity was great service wise and the food etc.. but it was a much older crowd,,

so if you are looking for fun go carnival

looking for relaxing, pampering, but not too many big disco parties go celebrity..

Melissa

I'm in my late 20s and single - and love sailing RCCL. It's the right mix of fun, relaxation, activies, and nightlife for me.

I do recommend you avoid longer cruises though if you are afraid of an "older" crowd.

THere are all ages on the cruise, but the longer the legnth of the cruise, the older the people get....also, the pricier the cruise the older the people are... Pick times of the year when you think younger people might travel too...spring/summer. You'll also get more kids at this time since younger people have the kids. We went end of Oct last year for our anniversary and although we met alot of fun people on the ship, we did feel like we were the youngers ones at 43/44.

Hi guys, I've never been on a cruise, but heard that cruises are for families with kids and retired people. Can you recommend a cruise line/ship for a young married couple? Looking for laid-back atmosphere.

thanks!

We took our first cruise as a young, newly married couple. We sailed Royal Caribbean and had a blast. There were so many people from so many walks and stages of life. There was something for everyone.

I agree. Unfortunately, I'm getting a little older but I can still find the energy to dance the night away. I have noticed that some cruises take a life of their own as my last one was a little geriatric for me but I still had a great time.

Archived