New Orleans transport & French Quarter?

Charwey

Hi all!

My hubby and I are flying into New Orleans Sept. 22 for our 5 night cruise. I think we're scheduled to be in NOL by 10 am. We're trying to find the most affordable transportation to the cruise terminal. The cruiseline wanted like $36 per person one way, which seems ridiculous.

I found a site for the New Orleans "airport shuttle" which is $13 per person each way. So that's not too shabby.

Does anyone have experience with NOL bus and streetcar system??? It'd definitely be cheap, but I was just wondering how confusing it'd be to use, and do they allow people to bring luggage on the buses and/or streetcars/trolleys????

Also, since we may have a few spare hours before boarding the ship, and my hubby & I have never been to New Orleans, I thought it might be nice to see some of the sites. Where do you suggest we go in only a few hours?? Isn't the French Quarter where all of the beautiful old homes/mansions are?? Is it worth seeing now? I know it's fairly close to the cruise terminals.

Thanks for your help!!

Heidi T.

Hi all!

My hubby and I are flying into New Orleans Sept. 22 for our 5 night cruise. I think we're scheduled to be in NOL by 10 am. We're trying to find the most affordable transportation to the cruise terminal. The cruiseline wanted like $36 per person one way, which seems ridiculous.

I found a site for the New Orleans "airport shuttle" which is $13 per person each way. So that's not too shabby.

Does anyone have experience with NOL bus and streetcar system??? It'd definitely be cheap, but I was just wondering how confusing it'd be to use, and do they allow people to bring luggage on the buses and/or streetcars/trolleys????

Also, since we may have a few spare hours before boarding the ship, and my hubby & I have never been to New Orleans, I thought it might be nice to see some of the sites. Where do you suggest we go in only a few hours?? Isn't the French Quarter where all of the beautiful old homes/mansions are?? Is it worth seeing now? I know it's fairly close to the cruise terminals.

Thanks for your help!!

Heidi T.

I would take the airport shuttle direct to cruise terminal. If you are landing at NOLA airport at 10 a.m., by the time you get your luggage etc. find the bus or shuttle, drive to port about 25- 30 minutes depending on interstate(I-10) construction, etc, off load luggage at port it will be time to get on the boat.

Right next to the termial is the Riverwalk bunch of shops food courts, etc. You could spend some time there, but why not just get on the boat go to Lido deck, get drink of the day eat some lunch.

As far as the old homes/masion etc, you are asking about, I think you what you meaning, they are on St Charles Avenue not the the French Quarter. The French Quarter DOES have many old hstoriacl sites/buidings etc, esp. Jackson Square, St. Louis Catheral etc.

If you can find it near the Terminal there is a street car line that will take you to the French Quarter. It is called "The Red Line" as the cars are painted red. (How about that) Don't know the cost but I think it is about $1.25.

Another thought has come to mind: a good web site to go to for info on New Orleans is: nola.com

Just look around the site there is alot of good stuff there.

My only other suggestion would be to try to stay in New Orleans post cruise. There is alot to do and see.

I will bookmark your thread and check back if you have any other questions etc. I was born and raised in the New Orleans area so any questions just fire away.

Our group will be on The Fantasy 2/4/08 Mardi Gras cruise> Jimmy James.

I used the airport shuttle....from the JW Marriott (great hotel, great staff) to the airport...Prompt, polite and he made 3 total stops,....I was the second, then one other one-someone was already on the shuttle. Arrived about 5 minutes before his scheduled time.

I would just get on the ship...of course, I would take a detour through the riverwalk for beignets (little donuts....YUMMM! That is my favorite reason to go to NOLa!!!---and since calories can't swin, and the mall is on the river, feel free to eat them! no fat, no cholesterol, no calories, no sugar! -YEAH RIGHT!!) and of course, cafe au lait from Cafe Du Monde. [they have a location in the french quarter too-that one is open round the clock!]

THEN I would get on the ship! Beignets and cafe au lait...the best bargain in New Orleans.....in fact, please have an order for me!

Thanks for the responses! I think you're right. While it'd be really nice to see some of New Orleans before boarding our cruise ship, it may prove to be more hectic and nerve-wrecking due to our time restraints. It'd be nice to board our ship early and get acquainted with all of the surroundings, check into our room, etc. We'll save the New Orleans for another time I guess! Maybe we can at least hop on "The Red Line" streetcar just for the fun of it though :) Call me silly, but I enjoy just riding on those things... I'm from Ohio, so I don't see many trolleys/streetcars :)

Thanks again for the advice!

-Heidi T.-

There isn't really room for luggage on any of the local busses or streetcars, but the shuttle from the airport is different - it takes you and luggage from airport to hotel or port and drops you there. You can get a roundtrip ticket or one-way. You can take the shuttle, but if there are 2 or more of you a cab may be about the same price - I think the shuttle is $13/person where a cab is $28 for one or two people.

The streetcar system is really easy, and useful if you're going where it's going. There are basically 3 of them. The riverside, which runs along the river; the Canal Street, which runs on Canal Street; and the St. Charles, which runs on Canal and Carondolet street from Lee Circle to Canal Street. You may want to check your luggage and then take the riverside streetcar to the French Quarter (Jackson Square). It does cost $1.25/person (correct change needed) each way. It USED to be the red car line, but the cars were destroyed by Katrina, so they are now using the green cars, which board on the wrong side (FYI fact). You can actually walk to the Quarter if you want - it's about 10 blocks - but the streetcar is right there and will save you some energy.

There is also a ferry that runs from the Riverwalk area across the river. It's free and you get a good visual view of the French Quarter from it.

The area you're thinking about with all the beautiful old mansions is probably the Garden District. You USED to be able to get there on the St. Charles Streetcar, but it's been down past Lee Circle since Katrina. Hopefully will be up and running farther soon.

Archived