just back from Liberty...was ok.

Samdel

Just returned Sunday from Carnival Liberty. We had to run to evade Hurricane Felix. While I realize it was an act of God, and they had 5 ships to reposition, substituting Nassau and Grand Turk for Costa Rica and Panama is a letdown.

This is our 2nd Carnival Cruise since October and they're not getting any better. Liberty is our first "big" Carnival ship and it is very beautiful. However, we had some of the worst entrees yet, but the desserts were Great! Go figure. Toughest "tenderloin" in the world and there was no use getting another one, everyone's was the same.

I don't want to sound like another complainer, but we will think long before we choose Carnival in the future. Just wasn't up to par with other cruiselines.

Did get a lot of rest and service was impeccable, especially Louie and Roberto in the Golden Olympian.

Happy Cruising everyone.

Samdel,

I have to agree with you. This cruise was just OK. The ship was overrun with a huge "group" - the ship was filled to capacity and there were lines EVERYWHERE! and.....people breaking in lines everywhere!!

Plenty of room around the pool - no problems getting chairs and we LOVED the slide.

Embarkation and debarkation were extremely LONG! We had a flight to catch and were in the 31 Group. They were debarking Group 25 at 10:00. Had been told we would be off the ship by 9:30 and not to worry about changing groups - well, needless to say, we should have changed. Finally, we just decided to go along with the 25 Group. I think we finally got in the cab for the airport around 11:00ish.

I totally understand about the itinerary change - "Act of God". I think the Captain and crew handled the change extremely well. I had no complaints in the Hurricane department - just the chance you take when sailing in September.

We are cruising Celebration in December for a 5 day cruise with my family for Christmas, but I won't be sailing Carnival again for a long cruise, especially 8 days. This was the first cruise I have been on where I can say I was ready to leave the ship.

Want more info, just ask.

Sorry you guys didn't have an excellent experience. That is disappointing when you are paying for a vacation. But it sounds like you all made the best of it and at least you could find some positive in it. Best of luck with your next cruise, on which ever cruiseline you choose! :)

Samdel,

I have to agree with you. This cruise was just OK. The ship was overrun with a huge "group" - the ship was filled to capacity and there were lines EVERYWHERE! and.....people breaking in lines everywhere!!

Plenty of room around the pool - no problems getting chairs and we LOVED the slide.

Embarkation and debarkation were extremely LONG! We had a flight to catch and were in the 31 Group. They were debarking Group 25 at 10:00. Had been told we would be off the ship by 9:30 and not to worry about changing groups - well, needless to say, we should have changed. Finally, we just decided to go along with the 25 Group. I think we finally got in the cab for the airport around 11:00ish.

I totally understand about the itinerary change - "Act of God". I think the Captain and crew handled the change extremely well. I had no complaints in the Hurricane department - just the chance you take when sailing in September.

We are cruising Celebration in December for a 5 day cruise with my family for Christmas, but I won't be sailing Carnival again for a long cruise, especially 8 days. This was the first cruise I have been on where I can say I was ready to leave the ship.

What kind of "group" was it? That is what i am afraid of most, going on my first cruise and the ship being overrun by kids, seniors, etc.

Did you know before you sailed that this group was on there? Did you check the internet to see if any groups were on your ship? If so, what did you find?

-thanks.

Samdel,

Ok, I'm asking for more info. What type of "Group" was it, that needed the word Group put in italics?

Sorry the cruise wasn't completely what you wanted, I love the Liberty, she is a beautiful ship, the service is the best!, but i must admit, i did order a salad & shrimp cocktail in the dining room because the food wasn't the best....but then again, i don't care what the food tastes like, i'm not a big eater anyway, the french onion soup was GREAT!

Hope your next cruises are better.

I would say "overrun" is an awfully strong word. I spoke to one person from the soul cruise who told me there were just a little over 500 soul crusiers. So overrun?

I suppose it all goes to your "filters" and expectations. Did I witness rudeness from some of the soul cruisers? Absolutley.

I also witnessed the same rudeness from people of every race. The bottom line is when you put 3100 people together some of them, from all races are going to be rude. Conversely, some of them, from all races, are going to be pleasant.

In my opinion, some people will expect poor behavior from a certain group and will go out of their way to find it and filter out the same behavior of people that look just like they do.

I would say "overrun" is an awfully strong word. I spoke to one person from the soul cruise who told me there were just a little over 500 soul crusiers. So overrun?

I suppose it all goes to your "filters" and expectations. Did I witness rudeness from some of the soul cruisers? Absolutley.

I also witnessed the same rudeness from people of every race. The bottom line is when you put 3100 people together some of them, from all races are going to be rude. Conversely, some of them, from all races, are going to be pleasant.

In my opinion, some people will expect poor behavior from a certain group and will go out of their way to find it and filter out the same behavior of people that look just like they do.

Soul cruisers?

Go Noles.....I don't care if it was the Morman Tabernacle Choir "Group". I wasn't saying this because it was a particular sect, group or ethnicity.

I didn't enjoy the atomosphere of the extremely full ship. I was bumped into, talked over, reached around, stood in line while a dozen people passed plates & chatted & lollygagged instead of moving on down the line.

This board is for opinions and I just happen to have one about this cruise. It wasn't fun for me, and I happen to like soul music, so there.

Besides, since I'm a Gator, you must be Gator Bait. :p

By the way, folks, when I said if you have questions, just ask. I didn't mean about the "group", I meant about the cruise or the ship, in general.

By the way, folks, when I said if you have questions, just ask. I didn't mean about the "group", I meant about the cruise or the ship, in general.

Now you should know that large groups on a cruise is a very HOT topic around here and when you said there was a large group, people were bound to ask what group.

I was also on this sailing. Having been on eight Carnival cruises, I feel like the some of the magic of cruising is going away. The attitudes and standards are slipping. The replacement ports were a disappointment but what are you going to do. My concerns are little things like fingerprints on the aft lido glass walls from day#1 that stayed the entire cruise, busing my own table lido aft, room steward never introducing himself. I really feel that the prepaid gratuities have made it so that there is no incentive to please. I was cruising with my parents, purchased their boarding photo so that my mother wouldn't have to, but 2 identical pictures were made and she also purchased it. Inquired about returning one, the lady was rude and told me it wasn't their fault. I mentioned going to the pursers desk and she happily asked if I need directions.... Your would think for a 8.99 photo they could have at least exchanged it for another getting off the boat photo but no dice. Used to see cruises as a great vacation bargain but it seems like we get nickeled and dimed to death.

I was on this cruise also, traveling with my 82 yr old mother. My expectations were low going into this cruise. I was originally booked on the Azamara Journey and needed to cancel back in May. When I was able to rebook, this cruise fit into the schedule.

My mother and I had an excellent time and hope to cruise Carnival again. It wasn't all good. It took 2 hours to board the ship from the time we were dropped off. We waited in such long lines to board, then I thought my mother was going to collapse going up the steep gang plank to get onto the ship. We had to wait in another line for the Maitre D because our dinner time was switched from 8:15 to 5:45. I think we got bumped by ClassicSoul Cruisers. We did get it changed to 6:15, but it was still difficult making it to dinner on time. There was another long line getting off the ship. We were #33 out of 34#'s. The ship handled the crowds good on-board and I didn't run into too many lines.

We had a great time despite big groups and the change in ports. I wish that the captain didn't head to Cozumel though. We knew from the get go that the storm would be crossing our path and that we would have to go somewhere else. There was another big group on board from the Bahamas. They were upset that Nassau was replaced and I don't blame them. That was my 4th time there this year so I wasn't crazy about it. The big surprise was Grand Turk. We had a great time there and can't wait to go back.

I thought the food and entertainment were good, better than my NCL cruise last Nov. I slept so well that I am thinking of buying the mattress. They sell them on line. I loved the cruise director Todd. My mother loved him also. He gave her a kiss when she told him he was the best cruise director in over 45 cruises she has taken. All staff that I dealt with were quite pleasant and went out of their way to accommodate.

The ship grew on me as the cruise went on. The decor is over the top. There are many areas that the ceilings are low. I could reach up and touch the ceiling and I saw tall men ducking at times to avoid hitting their heads. The dining room was crowded and not laid out right. There was no clear path to get to tables. You needed to weave in and out. My cabin was in a good location and made it handy getting to the show lounge and to the Golden Olympian dining room.

I pointed out things that stood out to me. I have also sailed on over 40 cruises so I have a lot to compare this cruise to. Overall, I had a great time and plan to cruise Carnival again. I don't know when that will be because with my NCL credit card, I cruise for practically nothing. You get 30 pts for $1000 spent. You can cash in when you get $500. That's $500 taken right off the top of the cruise price.

Ellen

Ellen

Just returned Sunday from Carnival Liberty. We had to run to evade Hurricane Felix. While I realize it was an act of God, and they had 5 ships to reposition, substituting Nassau and Grand Turk for Costa Rica and Panama is a letdown.

This is our 2nd Carnival Cruise since October and they're not getting any better. Liberty is our first "big" Carnival ship and it is very beautiful. However, we had some of the worst entrees yet, but the desserts were Great! Go figure. Toughest "tenderloin" in the world and there was no use getting another one, everyone's was the same.

I don't want to sound like another complainer, but we will think long before we choose Carnival in the future. Just wasn't up to par with other cruiselines.

Did get a lot of rest and service was impeccable, especially Louie and Roberto in the Golden Olympian.

Happy Cruising everyone.

My last two cruises(RCI, and NCL) before my Carnival cruise did not offer tenderloin once in a 7 day cruise. The glory offered it 3 times (fillet mignon, Chateaubriand, and beef wellington) while not the best tenderloin it was pretty good, but you know with beef, it is almost impossible to get tender cuts every time unless you are buying high end prime cuts (which you won't get in the main dining room).

And as far as the port changes, this time of year the chance of ports getting changed, is huge!

better luck next time!

MAC

Cry babies that is what I call you....... People are going hungry in the world yet your still cruising eating a piece of meat. Sorry your taste buds were offended. Some complain about the decor. Sorry again your eyes are sore while others look at 4 empty walls. Now I am not saying this is all your fault, however just be grateful you can do these things. I am tired of reading reviews were people say Oh this wasn't what I expected or ya know there were too many people and had to wait in lines. Hello your on a ship that hold over 3000 people. What did ya expect???? We should stop the world for you???? Do you really live in a world where everything is catered to you? If so good for you. :) But like some of these opinions - they are like a##holes - we all have them but some are reluctant to share them.

I am sorry I just don't get it and ya know don't really want to.

OUCH!! Please remember that these people did PAY for their cruise! Do you want all of those have even something SLIGHTLY negative to say to just SHUT UP??? Well I for one appreciate all the reviews, even the negative ones. I will know to try something other that the filet on the menu, if I happen to cruise on the Liberty. The old saying of "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it" DOES NOT apply to a forum where you are trying to share opinions. It won't work if we are only sharing happy, gleeful information :rolleyes: .

Sorry, that was OT, thanks to the reviewer for your honest opinion!!

Happy Cruising everyone.

THE OP DID MAKE SEVERAL POSITIVE COMMENTS....SO EVERYONE SHOULD NOT GANG UP ON THEM.....THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO THEIR OPINION.

• Liberty is our first "big" Carnival ship and it is very beautiful.
  • the desserts were Great!
  • Did get a lot of rest and service was impeccable,
  • especially Louie and Roberto in the Golden Olympian.

I was also on this cruise, but didn't see any bad behavior on the part of the group (Classic Soul) - I met a few members of this group while in Grand Turk and they were very pleasant and considerate. While I certainly can't speak to the behavior of every member of that group, I wouldn't characterize all of them as being obnoxious.

jallison, I'm sorry you weren't able to find some of the quieter areas - I agree that the music on lido was loud if you were in the area by the big screen, but the higher decks (10+) both forward and aft were much nicer for reading and such. They aren't as easy to get to as the main lido areas, but they are there.

Your would think for a 8.99 photo they could have at least exchanged it for another getting off the boat photo but no dice. Used to see cruises as a great vacation bargain but it seems like we get nickeled and dimed to death.

The policy of no returns on photos is in place because people can buy them, scan or photograph them, and then return them. I would have definitely gone to the purser's desk with both photos and the receipts and nicely asked for assistance, understanding that it was NOT their fault, but that a photo exchange would be much appreciated under the circumstances. I wouldn't have expected the photo staff to be able to help me with that situation, because they are required to follow the policies that are in place.

Regarding feeling "nickled and dimed" to death, I just don't get it. We just returned this morning from a 5 day cruise and the only thing we bought were 2 $7.99 photos and 4 bottles of rum for $24.95. Hardly nickled and dimed to death IMO. We ate everything we wanted, we enjoyed free cocktails during the Captain's Party and the Past Guest Party, and we had a fabulous time without spending any additional money beyond two photos, and the liquor we wanted to purchase to bring home. I think those people who feel "nickled and dimed to death" need to look at what some of the other lines charge extra for - Carnival offers more for the money than other mass market lines. You get free juice with breakfast, sushi in the evenings, afternoon tea on sea days (with lovely scones and other items), coffee and hot chocolate 24 hours a day, etc, etc, etc. And if you don't want to purchase sodas on board, they allow you to bring your own.

Okay, off my soapbox. I just feel Carnival offers a lot for the money, and if I felt nickled and dimed I would start looking for another cruise line.

Samdel,

Unfortunately with ships becoming larger along with carrying more passengers this is the future of mass market cruising.

I have learned over the years to eat at off peak times to try and avoid lines. I also book cabins now with larger balconies so that I can use that for privacy and not have to deal with the crowds as much. One thing that I do like with past guest programs is the priority embarkation/debarkation. It does help cut down on the frustration on dealing with large crowds. I hope that your future cruises are better.;) :)

Cry babies that is what I call you....... People are going hungry in the world yet your still cruising eating a piece of meat. Sorry your taste buds were offended. Some complain about the decor. Sorry again your eyes are sore while others look at 4 empty walls. Now I am not saying this is all your fault, however just be grateful you can do these things. I am tired of reading reviews were people say Oh this wasn't what I expected or ya know there were too many people and had to wait in lines. Hello your on a ship that hold over 3000 people. What did ya expect???? We should stop the world for you???? Do you really live in a world where everything is catered to you? If so good for you. :) But like some of these opinions - they are like a##holes - we all have them but some are reluctant to share them.

I am sorry I just don't get it and ya know don't really want to.

You do realize that Carnival is a business and folks pay their hard earned money to be able to cruise along with giving up vacation time and when expectations are not met then folks have a right to express their opinions without called being called a crybaby. I also read both postive and negative comments from many folks on this cruise.

I have had both good and bad cruises over the years and yes they do exist and when a cruise line fails to deliver then yes they will hear from me. Does not mean that I feel the world rotates around me but when any business gets my money then I expect in return to get what I paid for. None of this has anything to do with being grateful.

Cry babies that is what I call you....... People are going hungry in the world yet your still cruising eating a piece of meat. Sorry your taste buds were offended. Some complain about the decor. Sorry again your eyes are sore while others look at 4 empty walls.

Ridiculous statement. What does the status of other people have to do with a person's vacation experience? What is the point of a cruise review unless the person provides a report of what he or she thought and experienced? I guess we all should be mindless Pollyanna drones because somebody somewhere has it worse than we do. :rolleyes:

You do realize that Carnival is a business and folks pay their hard earned money to be able to cruise along with giving up vacation time and when expectations are not met then folks have a right to express their opinions without called being called a crybaby.

I have had both good and bad cruises over the years and yes they do exist and when a cruise line fails to deliver then yes they will hear from me. Does not mean that I feel the world rotates around me but when any business gets my money then I expect in return to get what I paid for. None of this has anything to do with being grateful.

Amen to that! We do spend our hard earned money.. Some don't have it as easy as others do.

Archived