Hawaiian 15 day cruises - old age home?

CruisinFools

What a great thread! DH and I have just started looking at Hawaii and this was a concern. DH has been ran over by a scotter before (anifaniks was that one of your relatives :D ). We would like to do this over New Years 2008. Does anyone know if this time of year has a good mix? And which cruise line does a great New Years celebration?

DH and I prefer cruises of 10+ days while school is in session. That way we avoid the loud trendy "youngsters" who drink late into the night and shout down the corridors while they try to find their cabins at 2:00 AM. Remember, none of the passengers who have jumped, been thrown overboard, or fell overboard have been seniors.

It's interesting that people are complaining about being around old people. Age has nothing to do with class or manners. There are rude crude people of all ages.

I find it very enlightening to sit with these "oldsters" and listen to wonderful stories of their lives.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Maybe they have something to teach us and maybe they can also be entertaining.

Give it a try.

DH and I prefer cruises of 10+ days while school is in session. That way we avoid the loud trendy "youngsters" who drink late into the night and shout down the corridors while they try to find their cabins at 2:00 AM. Remember, none of the passengers who have jumped, been thrown overboard, or fell overboard have been seniors.

It's interesting that people are complaining about being around old people. Age has nothing to do with class or manners. There are rude crude people of all ages.

I find it very enlightening to sit with these "oldsters" and listen to wonderful stories of their lives.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Maybe they have something to teach us and maybe they can also be entertaining.

Give it a try.

DH and I are somewhere between the "youngsters" and the "oldsters" and couldn't agree more with your statement. Bravo!

Happy Sails!

Romy:)

What a great thread! DH and I have just started looking at Hawaii and this was a concern. DH has been ran over by a scotter before (anifaniks was that one of your relatives :D ). We would like to do this over New Years 2008. Does anyone know if this time of year has a good mix? And which cruise line does a great New Years celebration?

Hee Hee - probably was one of my relatives. One uncle, who is 88 and in a scooter after a stroke, has a bad habit of running into his own son (from the rear - and hitting his heels) when he gets annoyed. And yes, he cruises!!!! Maybe I should start posting on CC -"beware - mean old geezers cruising on this date, on this ship . . . "

This thread has been wonderful! We are trying to decide between an Alaska cruise and a Hawaii cruise . . . and reading the replies has been quite enlightening and enjoyable. DH and I are not kids ourselves - we have grown kids who also cruise. It is so nice to have a good mix of pax on any ship.

Thanks for all the info!!!

Ani

We're in our middle 60's with 8 Grandkids. We took a 15 cruise to Hawaii and everyone called me "Kid". Sort of made me feel like a kid again actually. Good feeling. I did hear every medicine known to mankind mentioned at one time or another. But it was also nice not to talk about where we worked since everyone was retired. It was a very enjoyable cruise and I would do it again.

Hi! My DH and I are going on the 15 day Princess cruise in Feb. Yes, I think the average age of passengers will be over 50, but I think we will have a great time. DH and I will both be 51 when we cruise.

We were on a Panama Canal cruise about 10 years ago and we had a great time. Longer cruises seem to have an older aver. passenger age. Families with young kids probaby aren't able to get away for such a long time. Plus, the cruises are more expensive. We had so much fun on the Pamana cruise. A lot of our age group got to know each other and it felt sort of like college -- we did horse racing, shows, pool time, excursions and other things together. I think it will happen on this one too. Remember though that "older" people are a lot of fun. They have seen more things than I have and usually have wonderful stories. I enjoy being around "older" people and realize I am well on my way to being one myself.

Please don't think that just because a cruise may not be all young people that you won't have fun. For sure there will be people your own age. In fact, come on the Feb 1, '08 Princess cruise to Hawaii. Everyone says that this is such a wonderful cruise. It would be a shame not to go because of the "age" thing.

Whatever you do -- enjoy!:D

Susan

I'd rather travel with the elderly than with children. I see kids every day at work and vacationing away from them is a priority - we will almost never travel, land or sea, during school breaks. I don't have a problem with well-behaved children, but that is more the exception than the rule. I choose to not risk it during My Time.

Mom and I went to Alaska last year and had the pleasure of meeting up with Archie and Wolfgang at formal night. These guys had been friends for over 40 years. Archie had lots of great stories and Wolfie was just darned fun to be with!

I don't think the evening would have been near as pleasurable if we'd been seated with a 20-something couple and their children. Maybe, but I don't think so.

Mean people, tho? No, sorry, I don't tolerate that from any age bracket. Intentionally causing bodily harm to somebody will get you sued. I actually hope that happens to one of these trippers. Being old and mad at the world does not give anyone a license to inflict pain on others. I'm as annoyed at the sue-happy society we have as most anybody else, but I just had to have my nose restructured from 2 impact injuries (accidents), and I would not hesitate to sue the person causing me to break my nose again.

My husband and I went on a 12 day Hawaii cruise last year over Halloween on NCL. There was a good age range. We couples on their honeymoon and "older couples", but I would not say that there were alot of anyone age category. It was a wonderful cruise and I would love to do that one again sometime!!

We've seen rude people of all age groups on our cruises. We are seniors, and are appalled when we see other seniors who seem to feel they are entitled by age to push ahead in a line. I live in a retirement community and see that type of behavior here on occasion too. But it certainly is not the norm.

As seniors, we enjoy the opportunity to meet and dine with "younger" PAX. Thus far we have not had any unpleasant fellow diners, no matter what the age.

I do have to say that we would prefer not to have any children at a table we were sitting at. We have nothing against children and have a number of grandchildren of our own. But observing young children in any of the dining venues, we have seen them getting restless, parents being inattentive, parents making no attempt to quiet the kids when/if they get noisy or cry. So we would rather take our chances with being seated with an elderly grump.

As for the Hawaii criuse, we took it on the Island Princess in 2006 and are booked to do it again on the Diamond Princess in March. We've loved all of our criuses, but the one to Hawaii was the absolute best.

Archived