Replacement for "The Native Choice"?

Garn

Hey all...

I just found out that my March 29th cruise on the NCL Sun will be going to Cozumel instead of Costa Maya, and we're all heartbroken. We were so excited to do David and Ivan's tour, with the stop in the Mayan village- Cozumel just seems so touristy by comparison.

Now, I suppose I should be asking this on the Cozumel board, but I really wanted to opinions of those who love Costa Maya- does anyone have any suggestions for shore excursions to do instead? It looks like Tulum is the main option for Mayan Ruins, but is it too long of a journey for my 6 year old? Any other suggestions for "authentic experiences"?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We just did the David and Ivan tour with our boys 14 and 12. It wasn't that great of a day since it was so hot at the ruins. The water in Costa Maya is is beautiful and I wish we would have done a water activity.

Last year we went to Cozumel and did an independent tour where we rented a dune buggy. We all had so much fun. There is a guide who had his own dune buggy and there was one other family with us in another dune buggy. We drove around town and then the guide made us a fantastic meal on the beach. There was also a snorkeling stop on the way. It was one of our favorite days.

I would certainly NOT do the Tulum tour with a child. The travel time is about 45 minutes by ferry to Playa del Carmen and about 1 or 11/2 hours by bus to the ruins. And I can't imagine that a child would be very interested in the ruins for more than a few minutes. And it usually is very hot at Tulum. I love to rent a car and drive around the island in Cozumel. The "other" side is quite beautiful. Just do NOT swim in any areas not designated for swimming, as the rip tides can be very dangerous. There are 2 or 3 nice little bar/cafes on that side too. And you can continue around the south end and see the lighthouse.

I would wait to see the ruins until Costa Maya is up and running again. The trip to Tulum would take up most of your time in Cozumel. We're also going to Cozumel instead of Costa Maya in February, and we've planned on mini golf and Paradise Beach - not "authentic" by any stretch of the imagination, but we loved it two years ago and the kids want to go again. If you do get to Costa Maya in the future and have a chance to take David and Ivan's tour with the village visit, it's great! Our kids (16, 11 and 7) loved the ruins and had a great experience visiting Chacchoben village and having lunch there.

• 2 weeks later...

If you go to the east side of the island it is less cruise touristed than the southeast side. The beaches are great too.

There are some interesting excursions to be done by dune buggy in the deserted north point where minor Mayan ruins can be seen. The Mayan ruins of San Gervasio in the center of the island are interesting to the archeologically interested and could be visited in route to the east coast beaches. There are some horseback riding facilities that would be a good bet for 'off the beaten trackers' that ride through some of the ruins. These are not 'Big Time' Mayan ruins like Telum but they are close and can be seen in conjunction with some nice beaches. The restaurant Cocoa Nuts on the bluff overlooking the eastern shore walking distance from Chen Rio beach is a beautiful place with good food and drinks (Mex guitarists etc.) that could be done for lunch in conjunction with any of the foregoing. I'd recommend something like this for a relaxing day that is authentic (and has history); as long as you stay on the east rather than southwest (Playa Mia, San Fransisco etc.) you'll be away from the cruise tourist horde.

Archived