Royal Caribbean vs. Carnival - Which is more fun?

Sunsetfire

Hiya!

I just returned home from Freedom of the Seas on 9/9. I LOVED it! I have sailed with Royal Caribbean three times now and adore it! However, I am wondering how they rate next to Carnival or other cruise lines.

Can you experienced cruisers out there tell me the benefits (or detriments) of Royal Caribbean vs. other cruise lines?

Any help would be appreciated!

Sunsetfire

I've had nothing but fun on both cruise lines.

I admit that the Carnival Fantasy had a really fun Mardi Gras party in April. It was like a pub crawl with a drink special at each bar and we got a strand of mardi gras beads at each stop. There was a different live band at each stop, too, which was really great. There was a game at each stop. Limbo at one. Musical Men (like musical chairs only the men were our seats :) ) at another.

They had a cleaner version of quest just called a scavenger hunt on the pool deck so kids could participate, too. The newlywed game on Carnival wasn't quite up there with the Love and Marriage game show because it's rigged to end the same way everytime. But it's funny the first time.

I'd never choose a cruise line based on a pub crawl because I can have fun in just one lounge. But it WAS fun.

Gina

I also agree with the above poster. Fun for you is different for me. I love the rock climbing and all the skating and the mini golf on board. CCL only has the slide. I love the idea that RCI is almost smoke free is much of the lounges where CCL is not. I love the shows on both. But I love RCI show theater where the wait staff does not serve during the show. On CCL they are always walking in in front and down the aisles. I love the late night comedy on CCL which is FUN. And they have more of it than RCI. But on the whole I love RCI so much more and have made that the cruise line we do yearly. I got tired of the bingo always before each show , which did not allow people from late dinner to get to the shows and get seats without rushing over and sitting through bingo. On RCI they do not do this and getting seats is easy to just walk in a few minutes before the show. I enjoy the rci ships more with the art work and decor. The activiites are a bit less loud but how many times do I need to see the hairy man contest or the bow legged one....RCI has plenty of pool side craziness to fit your bill. And the waiters do not bother you each second while on the sun deck. I like that too.

Hiya!

I just returned home from Freedom of the Seas on 9/9. I LOVED it! I have sailed with Royal Caribbean three times now and adore it! However, I am wondering how they rate next to Carnival or other cruise lines.

Can you experienced cruisers out there tell me the benefits (or detriments) of Royal Caribbean vs. other cruise lines?

Sunsetfire

I also agree with the above poster. Fun for you is different for me. I love the rock climbing and all the skating and the mini golf on board. CCL only has the slide. I love the idea that RCI is almost smoke free is much of the lounges where CCL is not. I love the shows on both. But I love RCI show theater where the wait staff does not serve during the show. On CCL they are always walking in in front and down the aisles. I love the late night comedy on CCL which is FUN. And they have more of it than RCI. But on the whole I love RCI so much more and have made that the cruise line we do yearly. I got tired of the bingo always before each show , which did not allow people from late dinner to get to the shows and get seats without rushing over and sitting through bingo. On RCI they do not do this and getting seats is easy to just walk in a few minutes before the show. I enjoy the rci ships more with the art work and decor. The activiites are a bit less loud but how many times do I need to see the hairy man contest or the bow legged one....RCI has plenty of pool side craziness to fit your bill. And the waiters do not bother you each second while on the sun deck. I like that too.

Everyone really jumps on semantics here - or, rather, I need to be clearer. You have exactly answered what I guess I meant which is...what are the various offerings for cruise lines other than Royal Caribbean...

Thanks for your reply...this is what I was looking for!

Sunsetfire

Hiya!

Sunsetfire

Personally I think RCCL has it hands down over Carnival. We have given Carnival a number of tries (7 out of 32 cruises) and we look at it as Carnival being like a Holiday Inn and RCCL like a Hilton. I know in speaking to a number of people they like Carnival and it is a matter of personal choice. A number of these people have only been on Carnival and really have nothing to compare it to. (I know the same thing is true of the other lines). Just think of it this way, A week on a cruise is better than a week at work!

If you enjoy RCI, don't try to compare it to Carnival. It's like comparing apples to oranges. They each have their own "flavor".

We just got back from Carnival Glory (our 2nd Carnival cruise) and it did not have the same level of service as we have experienced on RCI or any other cruise line.

For instance, the second day there was no ice in our ice bucket and the steward was down the hall. I stepped out and indicated to him that the ice bucket was empty. He came and showed me where the ice machine was so I could get my own ice.

In the dining room there is 1 knife, 1 fork and 1 spoon on the table. As each course was cleared the server would put the knife and fork back on the table to use for the next course.

In the dining room the waiters are also entertainers, dancing on the tables and getting conga lines going.

The pool games had a subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) sexual undertone.

The Guest Relations staff have no authority to do anything about problems with overcharging or charges that were not yours.

The food was very good!

I have sailed more on Carnival than RCCL. The upcoming Mariner cruise will be my 3rd on RCCL, so I feel like I've got decent experience on both lines. I like them both. I think Carnival does a great job with new ships but their older ships show their wear. RCCL's older ships (all I've sailed on until Jan) are beautifully maintained and don't look their age. A year ago I would have said that Carnival's food was better, but the food on Valor was a disappointment. And the food on Splendor of the Seas was pretty darned good. I think I like Carnival's Broadway type shows better, but I haven't seen the ice shows yet from RCCL. I do like that RCCL doesn't bug you to death with Bingo. Frankly I don't see that much difference in the two lines and I wouldn't hesitate to sail either based on price and intinerary.

If you enjoy RCI, don't try to compare it to Carnival. It's like comparing apples to oranges. They each have their own "flavor".

We just got back from Carnival Glory (our 2nd Carnival cruise) and it did not have the same level of service as we have experienced on RCI or any other cruise line.

For instance, the second day there was no ice in our ice bucket and the steward was down the hall. I stepped out and indicated to him that the ice bucket was empty. He came and showed me where the ice machine was so I could get my own ice.

In the dining room there is 1 knife, 1 fork and 1 spoon on the table. As each course was cleared the server would put the knife and fork back on the table to use for the next course.

In the dining room the waiters are also entertainers, dancing on the tables and getting conga lines going.

The pool games had a subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) sexual undertone.

The Guest Relations staff have no authority to do anything about problems with overcharging or charges that were not yours.

The food was very good!

I agree with many of the above comments on why I much prefer RCI over Carnival. Cruised with Carnival for eleven years on sixteen cruises on every class that Carnival currently has in service. None can compare to RCI's Radiance, Voyager or Freedom class of ships. They are missing the WOW factor IMHO.

Also feel that the level of service on RCI is much better along with a more friendly crew. Ships of RCI are better maintained and cleaner. Also RCI has a much better past guest program. I feel that when all things are considered that both cruise lines are about even when it comes to entertainment and food as each one does something better than the other.

Carnival has LV revue not Broadway. Broadway is RCI. The "showgirls" on CCL use to be really slim with little costumes to say the least--like a showgirl on the strip I would assume. But now they hire just about anyone and when we last cruised there were extremely overweight woman in those little costumes.... we were wishing for a broadway revue. The shows on both lines are comparable with a slight difference. CCL does a lot with pyrotechnics while RCI does not.

I think if you love RCCL and want to try another line - I would suggest Princess over Carnival.

As other posters have said - RCCL has rock climbing, ice skating and other unique features.

Carnival is fun but it's a bit too "relaxed" for me. I find Princess and RCCL to be more refined. I'd choose Carnival again if the price is right - but for fun and relaxation (my definition) I'd choose RCCL or Princess :)

I hope this helps!

Make sure you tell us what you choose to do.

We're we'll soon be sailing our 6th RCCL cruise and we've only done 1 Carnival. What does that say? Not to say we might not try it again sometime, because nothing should be judged on one experience, but we definitely had more fun on RCCL than on Carnival. On day 5 of a 7 day cruise, we were yearning for home. That's ridiculous! At one point, we were so bored, we were in the library playing scrabble! And the library was FULL of people playing cards or board games. On a beautiful sea day! Now, we're not pub crawlers, and I can't lay in the sun, but come on.... oh yeah.... art auction. That's where we ended up another day and ended up buying a bunch of frigging art. That's what boredom will get ya.

There is NO ship in the Carnival fleet that can compare to FOS/LOS. NONE. So if you've already done the best, it's hard to go back. ;)

Carnival may have some good food (but that is subjective) and they always cheer about the larger cabin sizes (becomes negligable if you do suites)...but in my mind, Carnival just can't compare. You REALLY do get what you pay for.

Service, friendly but not as over the top friendly as RCCL

Ammenities onboard - hands down, so much more to do on an RCCL ship

Passengers - MUCH more informal on Carnival. And on some of the shorter cruises you could call them "Cruise Illiterate"

I did 3 cruises this year, 2 on Carnival, 1 on Freedom of the Seas. My next cruise is on Liberty of the Seas. I have no desire to go back to carnival right now.

I think if you love RCCL and want to try another line - I would suggest Princess over Carnival.

As other posters have said - RCCL has rock climbing, ice skating and other unique features.

Carnival is fun but it's a bit too "relaxed" for me. I find Princess and RCCL to be more refined. I'd choose Carnival again if the price is right - but for fun and relaxation (my definition) I'd choose RCCL or Princess :)

I hope this helps!

Make sure you tell us what you choose to do.

I was wondering this myself. So RCCL is the only cruise line that has the ice skating, flowrider, rock climbing, adults only Solarium? I must admit, I am attracted by the ship amenities, otherwise Carnival is cheaper and they had some nice itineraries. I just want to experience one of these mega ships!

Archived