Rome On Your Own - quick how-to

Mavis

can you help me please I'm still a bit confused. There are 6 of us visiting Rome next May on Voyager of the Seas. We plan to hire a private van to take us to Rome. We've all been before so have seen many of the sights but 4 want to visit St Peter's and then all of us want to see The Sistine Chapel. What is the quickest and easiest way to do this without having to stand in line for hours. Just turn up in the afternoon? If it's easier for us all to go into St Peter's then so be it.

Any advice anyone on a private driver to drive us into Rome we really don't nee da guide.

Marcy

If you all want to see the Sistine Chapel, you will have to go to the Vatican Museums....you would have to do this after 12:30 to avoid the lines. You could move quickly through there if time is short. When you exit through the Sistine (using the group exit), you automatically end up at St. Peter's (but not INSIDE St. Peter's) The beauty of using the group exit is you end up in the secured area. If you don't want to go in, you could just walk around the exterior and meet up with your group on the outside.

Quite a few cruise critic people use driverinrome and limoinrome. I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but I think it's a total waste of money unless someone in your group is handicapped. It is absolutely *easy* to use the train.

For 6 people, you would spend about 20 euros per person or a total of 120 euros for the entire day.

1. Train: 9 euros per person round trip

2. Taking a taxi from spot to spot will cost you less than 30 euros per taxi...but only 4 people fit in a taxi. You would need 2 taxis, so figure total of 60 euros, or 10 euros per person.

The drivers are probably charging 450-500 euros. If you go with the driver, they pretty much have a schedule they follow. They can also hire a guide for you to tour the Vatican Museums...another expense but I hear they can sometimes help avoid the lines, though not always.

Any suggestions on how to avoid waiting for hours on line to get into the Colleseum?quote]

We were there in early June. Since we were in Rome more than 2 days we got a Roma Pass. (worth the expense - 2 free historical entries plus free public transport.) Went to Colo first thing in AM (about 8:30). Line for tickets was 100+ people. Line for Roma Pass less than 10. Inside in 2-3 minutes!

I've never eaten around the Trevi Fountain, so don't know what you'll find. I do know there is a great gelato place in the area on one of the side streets. I don't recall seeing anything nearby but I'm sure you'll find something. DO hold onto your valuables in the Trevi area. Be *very* alert.

Standing in front of the Trevi (in the center and facing it), turn to your left. Walk to the first street on your left (actually a small alley.) Go about 75-100 feet on your left. Here are some reviews: http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Italy/Lazio/Rome-144659/Restaurants-Rome-LArchetto_di_Fontana_di_Trevi-BR-1.html

The Trevi are was a mob scene when we were there. Still worth the visit.

Another choice, also very good! Instead of left, go to your right for about 2 blocks. You will see a diagonal street going off to your left. Follow it. The is a link here: http://www.ftroute.com/med_cruise/useful_tips.htm The restaurant is Gioia Mia. It too is on a small alley. Both of these are very popular with the locals. At Gioia Mia the veal with white wine and mushrooms is to die for!:D

Have a great cruise!:o

We were there in early June. Since we were in Rome more than 2 days we got a Roma Pass. (worth the expense - 2 free historical entries plus free public transport.) Went to Colo first thing in AM (about 8:30). Line for tickets was 100+ people. Line for Roma Pass less than 10. Inside in 2-3 minutes!

How much is the pass? We will be in Rome early this coming June. Flight gets in about 7:00 am, so we will have two full days and a few hours the morning of the cruise. Will the pass be worth it for us?

MavisMarie - Is your plan doable for two 80+ year olds?

Can we take the train to the cruise ship and back (embarkation and debarkation) with luggage? If not, what's the best way to travel. We will have to go straight to the airport on the return to Rome.

Mavis

can you help me please I'm still a bit confused. There are 6 of us visiting Rome next May on Voyager of the Seas. We plan to hire a private van to take us to Rome. We've all been before so have seen many of the sights but 4 want to visit St Peter's and then all of us want to see The Sistine Chapel. What is the quickest and easiest way to do this without having to stand in line for hours. Just turn up in the afternoon? If it's easier for us all to go into St Peter's then so be it.

Any advice anyone on a private driver to drive us into Rome we really don't nee da guide.

Marcy

MavisMarie's advice is priceless. Add to it Tom Ogg's photos and instructions to be found on http://www.europeportreviews.com/Rome2.htm and it seems very easy.

At least I was able to convince my husband that we should try do go by train and follow MM's itinerary. I'll let you know when we try it next month.

Someone else asked for information on other ports. I found information on all of the ports that we are hitting except Vigo and Gibraltar on www.europeportreviews.com .

But MavisMarie has been the best!!!!!:D

Thanks again and also thanks for the information on the Colleseum lines.

MavisMarie, thank you sooooo much! DH and I will have four days in Rome pre-cruise in October - actually we arrive in Rome 3 weeks from today! I can't imagine doing all that you did in one day. We plan to do only those basics in three full days.

DH is in a wheelchair so I know we won't be able to do some of your itinerary such as walking up to the top of Palantine Hill. And I'm not sure how much of the Colosseum will be accessible. But we'll do what we can.

We have a Vatican Museums tour booked. Otherwise we'll just take taxis as you did and then wander around a certain area although I think we can probably "walk" a good bit if we go slowly. Having an idea of the cost of a taxi from various points to other points helps a lot.

Anyway, I've cut and pasted your post onto my Rome page which I'll print and take with us.

Thanks again.

Thanks so much MavisMarie. You have organized this so nicely, that helps me visualize things.

In Rome, can a taxi take 5 people if one is a small teenager? How's the local bus or metro, or forget about that option?

Don't know what the laws are in Italy as far as how many people they would allow in the back seat. All of the taxis we were in were just regular size back seat with 3 people fitting there. I really didn't see any mini-vans. We don't use the local bus/metro because time is too precious to sit around and wait. We go for it with the taxi and keep on running.

MavisMarie - Is your plan doable for two 80+ year olds?

Can we take the train to the cruise ship and back (embarkation and debarkation) with luggage? If not, what's the best way to travel. We will have to go straight to the airport on the return to Rome.

My 80 year old mother was the best traveler and very healthy. In fact, she used to carry my luggage for ME! I don't think age has much to do with the ability to work this plan, but health certainly does. You do need to be able to walk a few miles here and there, but you could do it like a stroll. :D

You can definitely take your luggage on the train in both directions. Many cruisers do this all the time without too much effort.

I have had so many of you type out a sincere THANK YOU and I want you all to know it is absolutely my pleasure to be of assistance. I appreciate all of you for taking time out to thank me...you are all very kind.

I hope y'all have a wonderful cruise and a great day in Rome. :)

Don't know what the laws are in Italy as far as how many people they would allow in the back seat. All of the taxis we were in were just regular size back seat with 3 people fitting there. I really didn't see any mini-vans. We don't use the local bus/metro because time is too precious to sit around and wait. We go for it with the taxi and keep on running.

My 80 year old mother was the best traveler and very healthy. In fact, she used to carry my luggage for ME! I don't think age has much to do with the ability to work this plan, but health certainly does. You do need to be able to walk a few miles here and there, but you could do it like a stroll. :D

You can definitely take your luggage on the train in both directions. Many cruisers do this all the time without too much effort.

My parents are both in declining health, especially my father as walking ability goes. He can stroll, but tires easily. My mom, who has a (non-smokers) type emphysema can keep up a pretty good pace - better than my dad.

Could you tell me how to check on the times and rates of this train, please.

Thank you so much for all your suggestions and answers to my questions. ;)

When is the best time to go to the Vatican on a Wednesday in October with the Papal Audience. I heard two different stories in that there are no lines during the Audience and not to be in line after the Audience because that is when the line gets long.

Any opinions?

AFter the audience, it will feel like the whole world suddenly has decided to go to the Museum, OR look for a taxi, OR go shopping in the vicinity, OR sit down nearby and eat lunch. You don't want to be one of them! If you don't want to go to the audience, best to get in line while it's still going on.

[SIZE=3]Thanks doe the information on Rome. Did I read this correctly that the museums at the Vatican are closed on Sunday?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]We will be in Rome for 1 day on a Sunday in April, 2008. The last time we were in Rome was on Corpus Christi and everything was also closed except for St. Peter's Basicilla.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]dottycan[/SIZE]

[quote name='DOTTYCAN'][SIZE=3]Thanks doe the information on Rome. Did I read this correctly that the museums at the Vatican are closed on Sunday?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]We will be in Rome for 1 day on a Sunday in April, 2008. The last time we were in Rome was on Corpus Christi and everything was also closed except for St. Peter's Basicilla.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]dottycan[/SIZE][/quote]

[COLOR=black]The museums are closed on Sunday except for the last Sunday of the month.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Here is a link to check your date:[/COLOR]
[URL]http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Orario.html[/URL]

Thanks a million Mavis Marie!!!! YOU are a godsend! We are doing the 13 day Mediterranean Cruise in 3-1/2 weeks and will definitely follow your itinerary. We will be staying in Rome a couple of days after the Cruise, and this will work out perfect. Thanks for your hints on purchasing tickets at Palatine, etc. We have already booked a private tour for Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast and are very excited. Was looking for guidance in Venice, and will do it on our own as you suggest.

Thanks again from a grateful "newbie" to the Mediterranean.

:) [quote name='MavisMarie'][COLOR=black]The museums are closed on Sunday except for the last Sunday of the month.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Here is a link to check your date:[/COLOR]
[URL]http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Orario.html[/URL][/quote]
[SIZE=3]Thank you so much for the information.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We will be in Rome on the last Sunday of the month in April 2008.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The rest of the websites you posted are great.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We appreciate the information.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]dottycan[/SIZE]

Excellent review of Rome. I was reading this as we are going over there next year and I was wondering what the taxi fare would be from Rome to the port. We will be in a couple of days early and staying in Rome. I really dont want to go back to the airport for the cruise line transfers. Is is feasible to taxi from the city to the cruiseport? Thank you.

[quote name='cruiseplanner1']Excellent review of Rome. I was reading this as we are going over there next year and I was wondering what the taxi fare would be from Rome to the port. We will be in a couple of days early and staying in Rome. I really dont want to go back to the airport for the cruise line transfers. Is is feasible to taxi from the city to the cruiseport? Thank you.[/quote]

The taxi fare from the city to the port are quite high, roughly 110 euros. If you have a Roll Call going for your cruise, ask others to share the ride and split the costs. That's what I did; now there are 8 of us splitting the fare. Saves a lot of money!

• 1 month later...

Archived