Warm Enough to Swim End of October?

willysgrandma

I'll be sailing to Bermuda Oct. 21 - is it warm enough for the beach in late October?

if i go in the water that time of year it's with a wetsuit and i drink lots of water before so i can warm the inside of the suit really quickly! temperature out of the water can still be warm enough for sunbathing

I'll be sailing to Bermuda Oct. 21 - is it warm enough for the beach in late October?

I would think it depends on where you are used to going to the beach. We are used to the water on Cape Cod where is doesn't really warm up until August. We have been to Bermuda many times in late May and the water seems fine to me. We also have gone in the water in early October but never as late as you are talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just back this week, and sorry, but the water temp now is at my "low" limit. I do spend a great deal of time snorkling and did chill down a little. I've gone the last two years in this timeframe, and it's my latest for water activities in Bermuda.

I am just back this week, and sorry, but the water temp now is at my "low" limit. I do spend a great deal of time snorkling and did chill down a little. I've gone the last two years in this timeframe, and it's my latest for water activities in Bermuda.

We will be going Oct. 13, the same week we've gone for the last 6 years and we've never found the water too cold for us. Just goes to show that different people have different water temp comfort levels.:)

Average Oct. water temps from a Bermuda weather site; 2005-79, 2004-77, 2003-78, 2002-79.

The last time I checked, the "sea" was composed mostly of water. What do you think sea surface temperature means? It's not air temperature.

Well it was 72-75' last week, I will speculate, it will be colder end of October. So, I would say your "sea" temp isn't for anything other than a very shallow section and no where near that if you go out any distance.

We will be going Oct. 13, the same week we've gone for the last 6 years and we've never found the water too cold for us. Just goes to show that different people have different water temp comfort levels.:)

Average Oct. water temps from a Bermuda weather site; 2005-79, 2004-77, 2003-78, 2002-79.

Those water temps are like bath water to me. I don't think any of our beaches in the Boston area got beyond 62 degrees all summer long. I'm going to Bermuda on Oct 21 and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get in the water.

Those water temps are like bath water to me. I don't think any of our beaches in the Boston area got beyond 62 degrees all summer long. I'm going to Bermuda on Oct 21 and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get in the water.

Water temp won't be an issue for you!!

One time we were a bit north of your area (Boothbay) when my husband decided to just dive right in off the dock. When he came up, I asked him how the water was. His eyes were huge and nothing came out of his mouth except gasps. I took that to mean it was a tad cold.

I noticed from the Oct. 21 Explorer of the Seas post that you will also be attending the seminar at sea. I don't know if you're aware of it, but they have scheduled the seminar for our first day in Bermuda. You can e-mail me privately if you'd like more information: sunsationalvac@optonline.net.

Well it was 72-75' last week, I will speculate, it will be colder end of October. So, I would say your "sea" temp isn't for anything other than a very shallow section and no where near that if you go out any distance.
I work on a boat in Bermuda during the summer; I check the sea surface temperature (SST) everyday when I listen to the VHF marine weather channel. I also have a pool thermometer on my boat. People frequently ask me what the water temperature is before they go in. When they eventually get in the water, I hear comments like “I thought you said it was 80F?!” I then show them the temperature on the thermometer I have placed about a foot underwater. I have never had the weather service’s temperature differ more than a degree from the temperature I have observed. I take the temperature measurement about 1.7 miles from shore. Unless you took a thermometer to the beach, I’m more inclined to believe the water was 82-83F last week, and not 72-75F.

I work on a boat in Bermuda during the summer; I check the sea surface temperature (SST) everyday when I listen to the VHF marine weather channel. I also have a pool thermometer on my boat. People frequently ask me what the water temperature is before they go in. When they eventually get in the water, I hear comments like “I thought you said it was 80F?!” I then show them the temperature on the thermometer I have placed about a foot underwater. I have never had the weather service’s temperature differ more than a degree from the temperature I have observed. I take the temperature measurement about 1.7 miles from shore. Unless you took a thermometer to the beach, I’m more inclined to believe the water was 82-83F last week, and not 72-75F.

Thanks for putting some sanity and factual information here. Some posters are coming from left field with the information they post.

For Pleiades & iheartbda.

Pleiades.

Are you still hanging with the Haligonians?

iheartbda.

Don't forget about Hogge Penny on 17 Oct about 5/6 o'clock to see if bdaguy claims his libation.

Dave,

Just checked our itinerary and we leave Hamilton at 7:00 A.M. on the 17th to go to St. George. Looks like only you will have a chance of possibly getting a glimpse of bdaguy.:( Don't forget to LOOK UP as he claims to be always hanging from the ceiling or the likes. Gonna be hard for him with him bum finger though. Hey, I though bats hung from the ceiling not Ninjas, so maybe he's trying to throw us off by saying he's a Ninja.

We NEVER get water temps to 80 degrees around here. I'm sure I'll have no problem snorkling the week of 10/21:)

Archived