Info for St. Bart's

Raptordash

When we were last on St Bart's, we rented a mini-moke and drove around the island. The vehicle is somewhat like a golf cart with a roof and windshield, and the island is small and easy to navigate. We stopped at a couple of beaches and stopped at a shopping center to browse. St Bart's is a pretty little island.

Lyn,

It's been a few years since we were on St Bart's, but as I remember, you could rent the mini-moke for 4 hrs or the day. We just rented for 4 hours, with another couple. The mini-moke we rented held 4. I believe we rented from a Budget office in town near where we tendered, and then they bussed people over to where the cars were kept. I'd do it again, as it was fun to just tool around the island, stopping wherever we wanted.

Becki

Lyn,

It's been a few years since we were on St Bart's, but as I remember, you could rent the mini-moke for 4 hrs or the day. We just rented for 4 hours, with another couple.

Becki

Thanks

we will look into that option

Lyn

We rented a 4 WD car at Tropical. They picked us up at the dock in Gustavia, drove me over to the airport where I got the car, then we drove up and down and up... an absolutely wonderful island, almost like part of the French Riviera magically plopped into the Caribbean. Beaches are great, shopping is extraordinary. Food? Just do a boulangerie for lunch, or maybe Le Select ("Cheeseburger in Paradise" fame).

At the end of the day they drove us back to the port. Total was $70 US. It ain't a cheap island.

• 4 weeks later...

We were in St. Bart's on a Sunday a few years ago. Many stores are closed. We rented a car and drove to the various beaches. We will be back in November on the Crystal Symphony. This time, we will be there on a week day. Food and beverages are VERY expensive. There is a convenience store near ST. Jean beach, I believe, where we bought snack-type foods.

• 2 weeks later...

We were at St. Bart's last year on Seven Seas Navigator and will be there next March on Mariner. It is a very expensive island as this is where the people with loads of money vacation and the dollar is probably as unhealthy against the franc as it is everywhere else in the world. I don't think any mass market ships go there as we were sharing the bay with all luxury cruises. On these ships I don't think it would be difficult to get the kitchen to fix you a picnic lunch to take with you and avoid the very pricey restaurants.

hi ratordash,

we go to st bart's often and stay for a few weeks, so ask away. sunday is a closed day for stores and many places offer to stock your refrig if arriving on a sunday (we rent a house). you will be able to lunch at a local cafe, most of the mokes are gone due to safety issues. there should be taxis at the pier to drive you around the island (10sq.miles). very small island, but also, very small roads that can take your breath away, since they look like sidewalks! our favorite beach is saline beach long, white sandy beach, st jean beach should have a cafe open to eat (small beach just past airport). we love to have lunch on sunday at the rivage (on beach of st bart's hotel). great goat cheese salad and fries, nice bottle of rose. this is the spot where many wind surfers are out if good windy day, not a good sandy beach since last hurricane. Gloriette is also on this beach and has wonderful creole menu for lunch, very small house right on the beach.

We rented a 4 WD car at Tropical. They picked us up at the dock in Gustavia, drove me over to the airport where I got the car, then we drove up and down and up... an absolutely wonderful island, almost like part of the French Riviera magically plopped into the Caribbean. Beaches are great, shopping is extraordinary. Food? Just do a boulangerie for lunch, or maybe Le Select ("Cheeseburger in Paradise" fame).

At the end of the day they drove us back to the port. Total was $70 US. It ain't a cheap island.

I checked with 2 rental places today and with the value of the dollar being so low, the cost to rent a car is 72 euro (about $115 ) and then add another $17 for insurance. This was for half a day.

i just finished looking at www.expedia.com web site and a one day rental for end of nov was 36.00 to 40.00 (auto) what time period are you looking for?

We'll be in St. Barts around the 10th of Jan. Have gotten quotes from 3 car agencies... nothing less than around $100 for a one day usage. That includes Budget which was the cheapest compared to the 2 locals.

I'll look at the discount sites and see what we can find. Even if we have to pay up to a hundred, it's cheaper than the price they want for an hour and a half ship tour for the 2 of us. And we get to see and stop where we want. Besides the driving being a bit nervewracking, I presume wherever (beach) we would stop would be safe??

Since they give prices in Euros, I'm thinking your low price on Expedia is due to the Nov date and /or the quote in euros.

hi ratordash,

we go to st bart's often and stay for a few weeks, so ask away. sunday is a closed day for stores and many places offer to stock your refrig if arriving on a sunday (we rent a house). you will be able to lunch at a local cafe, most of the mokes are gone due to safety issues. there should be taxis at the pier to drive you around the island (10sq.miles). very small island, but also, very small roads that can take your breath away, since they look like sidewalks! our favorite beach is saline beach long, white sandy beach, st jean beach should have a cafe open to eat (small beach just past airport). we love to have lunch on sunday at the rivage (on beach of st bart's hotel). great goat cheese salad and fries, nice bottle of rose. this is the spot where many wind surfers are out if good windy day, not a good sandy beach since last hurricane. Gloriette is also on this beach and has wonderful creole menu for lunch, very small house right on the beach.

Do you have any idea what the cab fare would be to the airport from the port? If we rent a car, we get a better rate from the companies at the airport.

we have never taken a cab in st barts, except new years eve so don't know the cab fares but email the company you rent from and they should be able to make arrangements to pick you up dock side or have your car there at time you suggest and then you take them back to airport. there are at least three car rentals agents right in gustavia were you can rent a car and walk to their office. we were going to rent a car through house rental agent but after cking for you i found alamo site on expedia renting in us$'s so our week is 400.00 us, instead of 360.00 euro, big savings for us. thursday jan 10, everything will be open, but remember the shops close mid day, same as europe. the people on st barts are wonderful, friendly, kind and have always gone above and beyond to be helpful. the famous burger joint (jimmy buffet fame) is right in the middle of gustavia, le select good beer stop, pick up a cap or tee shirt (locals hang here also). also thursday is mussels day. air france brings in fresh mussels and le marine by the port is wonderful, very crowded but so yummy with glass rose cham.- prices will be awful with the dollar so low but how many times will you be in st barts. no shopping bargains for us citizens, so make it a touring/eating stop. the beauty of the island is worth price of days car rental. the rivage is always very easy on the pocket book and great simple food with mod. price wines. while touring island stop at le toiny far side of island and have a drink, get wonderful view, may run into some celeb's there, swing around edge of island (africa next stop) try to make govenour's beach. up a hill and down a hill, rent auto if you're not a great stick driver. i drive 5speed sabb and have moments of concern, not my driving as much as the cars getting up the hills (power). also, remember with shop closing, so is gas stations, so if you need to fill tank up? the alamo car rental is owned by son of family who has office right in gustavia, so we rent car from alamo and leave in town to catch ferry back to st martin. go with the best price rental and everything can be arranged to get you back to ship.

forgot to mention that it is very safe in st barts, not like other islands, but never leave things in car or on beach who knows what will happen. also, if you have any problem to be concerned about, it is other drivers hitting your cars because they misjudge the roads or parking.

it was a nov date, but we are renting car 1/12/08-1/19/08 in us $ for 400.00. hertz, budget, and everything i checked was euro's so that is why i reserved with alamo on expedia.

Thanks sooo much for all your ideas Doc and Babe! I'v printed out a map of St. Barts and it looks like we would be able to see quite a bit including some stops in 4 or 5 hours. Do you agree? I double checked and we will be there on Tues. Jan. 8. I checked and that Alamo rental fee looks really good. Do you think we can get it in Gustavia without going to the airport? (I originally was looking at Budget which is the airport.) You mentioned an Alamo office right in town. Do you call Alamo to make those arrangements ahead of time? We sure appreciate your help and ideas. :) My DH is a bit wary of driving if the roads are treacherous, but we do intend on doing an auto trans.

eandj,

email alamo and ask if you can just pick up the car in gustavia, since his dad takes the cars at end of rental (has large lot in town) they should be able to help make this work. tell him time of arrival in case their office would be open/closed (wonderful old st barts family) and time you are needing to leave car in gustavia. yes, you should be able to see whole island with some beach stops along the way. always, take copy of your rental with expedia showing the amount in dollars, not always happy to give this but if in writing, no problem. don't be afraid of driving, it is just tiny roads like some of villages in europe with big hills. they have actually widened the roads but they also have more large cars on island. if you decide not to eat at rest. stop by matches (large grocery next airport) and pick up some wine, cheese and deli for picnic on the beach. make sure you have plenty of water, there are no little booths on most beaches so it is either bring your own or go to cafe. just remembered, there is one little spot on grand cul de sac beach that has outdoor tables in sand, very casual next to gloriette creole house. that is also same beach as rivage, so many choices and hard to decide where to go for one day, just let you 6th sense lead you to the perfect spot.

• 1 month later...

hi we were on St. Barth's last November and rented a jeep convertible from Turbe car rental - we were astonished with the wonderful service (met us at the pier, completed paperwork on the spot, allowed us to leave the car back at the pier from them to collect). Best of all it was something like 30 Euros for the day with another 10E for gas at the end of the day.

We drove the whole island, fell in love with the place and had a wonderful filled baguette with cafe au lait on our travels at a small cafe. Discovered very quiet beaches (Anse Saline, Anse du Governour). Be prepared for hills and narrow roads but you can easily do the island in a very short time.

We were in port on a Sunday and virtually everything except the occasional restaurant was closed.

hope this helps

Archived