Need opinions!?

luvabeach

We are booked to sail from Fort Lauderdale on January 16th ,08 on the Coral and arrive from Los Angeles at 5am that day. I have to work on the 15th and we cannot get an earlier flight to arrive any day earlier. Is it worth our while booking a hotel room for approximately 6/7 hours or should we just kill time at the airport in Fort Lauderdale eg. breakfast and lots of reading from 5am until we can board the ship? We are happy to pay for a hotel room for a day...but will they even let us check in at 5.30 am? Have checked and there is no lounge/admiral club facilites at Hollywood Fort Lauderdale airport. Any suggestions??

If you're good at sleeping on a plane and you think you'll be refreshed, I won't bother with a room. But if you're like me, and can't sleep on planes, I'd call around and see if you can find a hotel that will accommodate you for 6 to 8 hours. Then you can board feeling rested and you can really enjoy sail away and your first evening at sea.

luvabeach - yes, many hotels near airports will accomodate you for such a short time. I used to travel a lot and if I had a red eye with a later connection with 8 - 10 hours in between, I would call ahead and get a room. The hotels I stayed in were all three stars and above. Of course, they usually charged me the regular going rate. In FLL there are many hotels near the airport, which is near Port Everglades. I would do a search for FLL airport hotels and just call and see what they can do for you.

Good luck and enjoy that cruise!

That time of year you might run into weather problems "in air." Just because it is clear in CA doesn't mean there aren't storms in the midwest or FL. On our Christmas cruise out of Miami last year we were the last plane that was allowed to land (which was around noon) as weather conditions made landing hazardous. At that point we were just flying from Tampa to Miami.

Am going to have to book a room for the night....cannot find a day rate anywhere. I know we are taking a chance flying in that day.......but do have entire day ....from 5am!! Previous cruises we often have gotten to our room at midnight the evening before....not that much difference. Cannot believe we are flying on a red eye, but its a 10 day cruise and I have to minimize my time off work. Oh well......guess we will be booking one night at the Ramada and checking in at 5am! Thanks again for all suggestions.:)

A suggestion is to book and pay for a room on Priceline. You'll pay less than the going rate and location isn't going to be as critical to you for just a few hours of sleep. Once paid for, your room is guaranteed but I would call the hotel the day before flying and let them know what time you're arriving.

Archived