What Happens on Sailaway? - 1st Time Cruiser

marc62

Hi All

Only 5 weeks & 5 day's until our first cruise! I have seen a few people comment on getting a good spot for Sailaway, Why?. does anything special happen when you leave port to start the cruise?

Could you also tell me when the muster drill takes place & do you have to be in a certain location or is it just like a fire drill?

Many thanks

Marc

At sailaway, many people on deck and lots of music.

At the muster drill, you are asked to get your life jacket and report to your muster station on the promenade deck (usually under your assigned lifeboat). They check your cabin # and you hear a 10 minute safety speech by the captain.

At sailaway, many people on deck and lots of music.

At the muster drill, you are asked to get your life jacket and report to your muster station on the promenade deck (usually under your assigned lifeboat). They check your cabin # and you hear a 10 minute safety speech by the captain.

you forgot to add that you normally faint in the heat of wearing that darn jacket :D

Try to get a spot somewhere on the railing for a good view for sailaway. It's fun to see people on other ships or on the ground waving as you leave port. There's a band playing and lots of drinks available. It's exciting.

The drinks are available for a price. First time cruisers are often surprised when, after being handed a drink and taking a sip, they are asked for their seapass card.

Hypo

On your 1st cruise, when the ship begins it's exit from the port, you will get butterflies in your stomach!!! You're moving! You will be soooooo excited, and "a twitter"! But, you will soon get used to the slight motion and you'll know your vacation is underway!

Most folks hang out on the pool deck, where all the "land-based" folks will be waving and honking horns! On some ships, the Viking Crown lounge is a wonderful place for sailaway--great views, and an uncrowded bar for drinks!

Are we the only folks who enjoy -- no, wrong word -- LOVE sail-a-way from our balcony? Every cruise we've ever taken we have had champagne and strawberries on our cabin balcony as the ship begins its maneuver out of port...it's quiet...it's exciting...definately romantic...and then when you exit the channel into the open ocean...<sigh> October 13th (Liberty) can't get here soon enough...

Michael & Silke

Cruzobsessed, we'll be sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale for the first time next January. Thanks for letting me know about the high rises and people waving goodbye. Will they also welcome us when we return a week later?

And Marc62, are you on a Roll Call? It's not too late to find out and sign on. A lot of people on Roll Calls gather for their first face-to-face meet ups at Sailaway.

And, while I'm still pretty new at all of this, there is nothing like that first sense of motion and knowing that you are no longer tethered to land but are moving out into open water.

Are we the only folks who enjoy -- no, wrong word -- LOVE sail-a-way from our balcony? Every cruise we've ever taken we have had champagne and strawberries on our cabin balcony as the ship begins its maneuver out of port...it's quiet...it's exciting...definately romantic...and then when you exit the channel into the open ocean...<sigh> October 13th (Liberty) can't get here soon enough...

Michael & Silke

Actually in August 2006 we got an amazing upsale to an Owner's Suite on the Norwegian Dawn out of Manhattan. We had friends who got the same deal, and we were on opposite forward corners of the ship with seversl suites in between. And yes, we stood all stood on our front balconies as we pulled away and down the Hudson and into New York Harbor. That was pretty special!!!

Thanks for all your replies. We are sailing out of Venice down the Grand canal I have been told

Marc

Marc

We sailed INTO Venice last week on the Emerald Princess, it was awesome. You don't actually sail down the Grand Canal - it's not big enough!! However, you do sail by St Mark's square etc.

I would recommend getting a place out on open deck as high as possible on the port (left) side with a forward view but must be on the railings. Take your camera with loads of room on the chip and you will have an unbelievable experience. Get there early, space is a premium!

Have a wonderful cruise.

John

Hi John

Many thanks for your reply. I have booked a grand romance package to include champagne & chocolate strawberry's which will be in our cabin when we arrive (Silver Wedding). I have also booked a junior suite which is on the 8th floor portside! - looks like I have been very lucky with our choice!

Marc

Some people will bring bubbles to blow at sailway. Streamers and confetti are a no-no now (contaminates the ocean).

If you do bring bubbles please be considerate of others...our last cruise( Disney Wonder) there were kids blowing bubbles ( next to their parents I might add) and nothing is worse than getting a face and mouth full of basically soap. The parents did nothing of course.:rolleyes: We had a large group and ended up moving because of it

Hi All

Only 5 weeks & 5 day's until our first cruise! I have seen a few people comment on getting a good spot for Sailaway, Why?. does anything special happen when you leave port to start the cruise?

Could you also tell me when the muster drill takes place & do you have to be in a certain location or is it just like a fire drill?

Many thanks

Marc

You drink, you drink some more, and you drink some more and more...then go to dinner!!! :D :D :D

Cruzobsessed, we'll be sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale for the first time next January. Thanks for letting me know about the high rises and people waving goodbye. The condos are on the port side (left) when you sail out. They will still be in bed when you return!!Will they also welcome us when we return a week later?

And Marc62, are you on a Roll Call? It's not too late to find out and sign on. A lot of people on Roll Calls gather for their first face-to-face meet ups at Sailaway.

And, while I'm still pretty new at all of this, there is nothing like that first sense of motion and knowing that you are no longer tethered to land but are moving out into open water.

----

Archived