Self Debarkation Freedom of the Seas

We did it on Rhapsody. My complaint was breakfast did not open until 6:30 I think it was and they called self disembark by 7 am.

We hardly had time to get to the buffet to grab something quick, get back to our cabin and get our suitcase and then couldnt find a elevator that was not packed. We needed a elevator, because my sister cant walk up stairs, took over 20 minutes to get on a elevator, they were all jammed and people pushed ahead into whatever elevator came next in front of people who had been waiting like us.

Its a bad and crazy as everyone tells you it is.

If RCI had breakfast at least an hour before they called self disembark, we would have had plenty of time to eat a full breakfast and get back to our cabin and get to the deck you need to be on when self disembark was called. The elevators were crazy all morning and we were on deck 2 and needed to be on 3 I think it was. 30 minutes to get up to the buffet on the elevator grab something quick, not even a real breakfast, get back to deck 2 to grab the suitcases, that was my complaint....they should open breakfast sooner imo.

We wanted to be thru customs and over the Galveston causeway by 8 am because it was closing for dynomiting..missed it by minutes....had to wait over 2 hours sitting on the bridge for it to reopen.

We were on FOS about a year ago, we did the Self- debark and it was wonderful. I think we zoomed off, bags in tow, at 6:40am. Customs took about 45 seconds- we had to scrounge up a taxi, we were so early- I think we hit the streetside at 6:45. We are early risers and we do love this idea!

Sadly I cannot comment on any more recent such experiences- maybe someone else can chime in from a more recent sailing.

we just got off the Freedom a few weeks ago we did the self carry out, we had no problems,we left our cabin about 6.30 am ,left our luggage in the cabin grabbed something to eat at the wind jammer went back to our cabin got our luggage walked off the ship,got a cab we were at Miami airport by 8.45 am and our flight was at 2.30 pm yes I would recommend this way to get off the ship,my husband and I had 1 suitcase each and a carry on .

We were just on FOS and while we didn't do it, they called the people who were self disembarking at about 7 AM.

Now that is providing there are no customs problems or "security problems" like there were on the cruise before ours on the day we arrived....my understanding is all the people on the ship were detained as the whole port was closed for the security problem for a few hours. People were still getting off the ship at 12:30 when we arrived to board.

Dh and I are thinking of using self debarkation on our upcoming Freedom cruise. We have never done this and just wanted to get some feedback from you that have done this. What time does it usually start? All the pros and cons would be greatly appreciated. :)

Three words for you: FREAKIN' LOVED IT!! We woke up at 5:45 am, got to the Windjammer at 6 am. Left the Windjammer at 6:15 am, grabbed our luggage and was off the boat by 6:44 am (Customs and all). I LOVE that they have this option and will always use it! If you have a reasonable amount of luggage, this is a wonderful option! I was desperate to drive home to see my son. We had to drive 4 hours but were home by 11 am! Can't beat that!

Three words for you: FREAKIN' LOVED IT!! We woke up at 5:45 am, got to the Windjammer at 6 am. Left the Windjammer at 6:15 am, grabbed our luggage and was off the boat by 6:44 am (Customs and all). I LOVE that they have this option and will always use it! If you have a reasonable amount of luggage, this is a wonderful option! I was desperate to drive home to see my son. We had to drive 4 hours but were home by 11 am! Can't beat that!

This sounds wonderful!!! We have a 4 hour drive as well and getting home that early sounds good to me.

Archived