Credit card vs. debit card

jmk22574

My husband and I are leaving on our first cruise next Sunday, seven days on the Noordam. We do not use credit cards, only debit cards. We're not pre-registering our card since it is a debit card, but will we even be allowed to use a debit card instead of a credit card for our onboard account? I can't believe I didn't think to ask this sooner.

I know there is a "per day" monetary hold for each of us, and we will have that covered and then some on our debit card, but I'm just hoping for some reassurance that they accept debit cards in place of a credit card. Thanks for any and all help!

Jill

My husband and I are leaving on our first cruise next Sunday, seven days on the Noordam. We do not use credit cards, only debit cards. We're not pre-registering our card since it is a debit card, but will we even be allowed to use a debit card instead of a credit card for our onboard account? I can't believe I didn't think to ask this sooner.

I know there is a "per day" monetary hold for each of us, and we will have that covered and then some on our debit card, but I'm just hoping for some reassurance that they accept debit cards in place of a credit card. Thanks for any and all help!

Jill, you may use your Debit card rather than a credit card. However, be aware that sometimes HAL will run the pre-authorization holds a couple of times during the course of the cruise ... and, on debit card, those pre-authorization holds don't drop off for as many as 7-10 days. It can become problematic -- they can accumulate, blocking off the amount of cash you'll have to pay other bills, etc.

An alternative to using a debit card is to take cash/travelers checks in the amount of what you think you'll spend aboard ship and make a cash deposit into your account when you board the vessel. Just tell the staff at check-it "we're going to arrange our onboard account with cash at the front desk once we board." It's a good alternative, and saves the heart-ache of having up to 2 or 3 times the amount of the pre-authorization holds blocked up and beyond your use for 7 - 10 days.

Also ... many debit cards have a maximum per-day / per-transaction limit. For one person that is usually not a problem for a 7-day cruise, but for 2 people it might be. Double-check and make sure your card will allow the line to process that much at one time.

Jill, you may use your Debit card rather than a credit card. However, be aware that sometimes HAL will run the pre-authorization holds a couple of times during the course of the cruise ... and, on debit card, those pre-authorization holds don't drop off for as many as 7-10 days. It can become problematic -- they can accumulate, blocking off the amount of cash you'll have to pay other bills, etc.

I've never had any problems using a Debit card - and have racked up some pretty hefty on-board bills...

...the only time I ever had an issue was when I used it on cruise aboard X and was severely overcharged - that was a nightmare getting my money back.

I've never had any problems using a Debit card - and have racked up some pretty hefty on-board bills...

LOL ... true.

It all depends upon how much cash you have in your account, how long the cruise is, and how many times they pre-authorize your account within the period that your bank maintains the holds. On a 7 or 10 day cruise they'll check once or twice ... in such cases I've never had any trouble. But on a 15 or a 21 or a 28 day cruise, if they process multiple pre-authorizations in 10 or 12 days, and the holds can pile up before they stop dropping off.

My bank now holds such pre-authorizations for 10 days. They used to hold them 15 days (those 5 extra days were murder on cruise budgeting).

Thank you two very much for your replies. I think I'll call our bank this week just to see what our daily limit is and see if they'll raise it if need be. We'll also take traveler's checks just in case something goes haywire with the debit card.

We've had this cruise booked since May 2006, I can't believe we're less than a week away!!:)

We also have not used a credit card for eight years. I just caved in and got a rewards card. Shame on me.

Anyway, on our last cruise I put travlers checks on my account and when I came close to the first 500.00 I just gave them more. We were headed to Disney after our cruise and a hold on our bank card would have prevented us from using it. Although Disney was paid for I didn't want to take any chances.

I used a debt/Visa card on my cruise I just got off and things were great. They did put the hold on my card but it was put right back into my account within 24 hours.

I did call my bank ahead of time to let them know so they lifted the per day limit for the cruise.

Everything went smooth as could be and I never had anything to complain about.

Just be sure to call your bank and let them know you are going. They will put it in their system and you should be fine too.

• 3 years later...

Information, we signed up for Holland America Credit Card while on board several cruises ago. After using it for booking cruises and other Holland America credit, we were able to get $150 beverage cards, dinner in Pinnacle and other things for the up coming cruises ..plus we still have more points for future cruises. Have found the credit card to our advantage. Chatterbox :):):)

We leave on Eurodam for a 7 day Carribean cruise. HAL wanted to pre-auth $60/day per person. To limit how much HAL could reach into our pockets we went to our bank and got 2 gift cards for $500 each. The fee for each card was about $5. The HAL online check in system took the gift cards. Anything left over on the cards does not go to waste.

I dont carry more than $30 in cash for a 2 week tip...anywhere in the world. I dont have an ATM or A Debit card... Just one credit card which I use on EVERYTHING and I mean everything from groceries to gum gas to insurance..

I use the United credit card because the payoffs are better than a Holland card. Consider that almost half of your cruise trip will be air fare!!! How would you like it to be free ? Hollands payoff is a very poor ratio to investment. Rewards cards are also likewise a poor business investment when compared to getting and Airlines own affinity card... not one which touts all airlines.. terrible at getting flights

I pay a fee because I get fare more in return. Example $130 a year.. I get and annual 5000 miles for renewing, and I get 2 for one cupons good anywhere in the US and Hawaii. I get 2 miles per dollar.

Spending not one dime more than I normaly do My wife and I each earn over 50 to 70,000 miles each year with bonuses and we only fly 2 or 3 times a year.

We use the card rather than checks or cash and come tax time have a detailed free accounting mailed to us.... another bonus

We pay off the account every month...with 1 check not writing a dozen.

I make it an automatic payment.

This next year we are sailing from Venice. and again from Flordia... 2 trips flying from Hawaii. We will BOTH get them FREE...and in FIRST class.

This repersents about $25,000 in free air in one year alone!!! I consider it very worthwhile. I have saved enough so That everyother year I can get free international first... so an average of about $12,000 payback to me every year. Cash . Debit you get nothing... but the bank loves you as they make huge profits using your money for free.

I have never found a situation where someone would not take a credit card...

By the way that $30 I described in my wallet... its now almost November and I still have $22 of it left

Think this one through and you can make out:cool:

I dont carry more than $30 in cash for a 2 week tip...anywhere in the world. By the way that $30 I described in my wallet... its now almost November and I still have $22 of it left

Think this one through and you can make out:cool:

Can we assume that you never tip in addition to the mandatory service charge? Or never tip porters? Or never tip hotel beelhops? Or never tip taxi drivers?

Can we assume that you never tip in addition to the mandatory service charge? Or never tip porters? Or never tip hotel beelhops? Or never tip taxi drivers?
Or excursion guides and drivers? Or a buck or two for room service?

For hotels and porters..... $2 a bag 4 times a trip. I carry my own bags for the most part as does my wife on and off the ship... we pack lite. When we need assistance... we tip.

For dining room and room I write it in as necessary... on the final bill.

I am rather un-demanding and thus the $22 per day should suffice if that is Hollands intention and I respect it. If I request something out of the norm.. then I tip for that special service. Most times I do not however request anything special.

On a main stream cruise, such as Holland, I seldom see or receive what I think is outstanding service. ( That is service beyond that which the line suggests or advertises.) If I do receive then I will reward according to the act. I just dont see many times that it warrented. They write 15% for every glass of water to wine into the deal. Nope, it is there game and I play it by their rules:o.

SO no, I seldom if ever need cash be it in Warsaza or Kula Lmpur.... Plastic is king to me... every dollar gets credit.

...next cruise. We used cc's for the airline mileage points stuff which was good for some AL RT's (if the dates were right), rental cars and selected hotels for years.

These days we use the Amex/Costco cc (we belong to Costco anyhow) and there is no annual fee other then the Costco yearly dues (something like $40) which we pay anyhow.

In any event, they send you a check every February for 2% of any travel charges plus 1% for any other charges, etc.

So, say, you spend $10K for travel expenses (no, you don't have to use the Costco travel reservation folks) for either land or cruise tours you'll get back $200. Regarding, say, a cruise, the cruise cost, on-board account stuff, AL transport, travel insurance, etc. is included in the 2% yearly rebate determination.

Certainly everyone has their own way to do things and I'm sure there are better cards out there (beware that many have annual fees) but the no-fee AMEX works for us. Last Feb we got a + $400 check for travel stuff and other land sojourns.

Needless to say, you need to have the cash available in the bank to pay off the bill when it turns up (usually Amex requires payment in a month or so following the charges depending on your closing / billing date).

We use an internet savings account (ING at the moment) so we can dump dough in our vcation fund monthly so we can transfer the funds electronically to pay the AMEX folks on time. They only pay around 1%APR these days (Capital One is up to 1.34%APR - "Wow Wally") but it least its something.

If you only get, say, $100 / year, well that would pay for a drink or two, no?

BTW, if using a foreign ATM the Capital One Card (Platinum, no fee first year: then cancel and get another the next month) will not charge the typical bank transaction fees unlike bank debit cards /various Visas, etc.

I know you probably aren't crazy about cc's but if disicplined they can work out sometimes. JMHO.

Have a WONDERFUL CRUISE!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

I always use a credit card any time I travel.

The reason is personal, really. My credit card number was lifted from hotel staff in Dallas. They sold my number across state lines so the Feds took over the case. I never found out what happened to the offenders, but the last I was told was that they had a list of names.

What a mess that was. And the feeling of invasion was horrible. But, thankfully, it was my credit and not debit card. Untangling your credit card from the mess of theft/fraud is such a daunting experience, but to have to untangle your checking account is even worse. And it all happened so fast, if it had been my debit card, while traveling, I would have felt paralized.

Now, I realize this can happen locally but I don't have a problem using my debit card locally. I bank locally (credit union) and have for years and know they know me and my husband well and we have all our other various accounts there to lean on. Also, more and more shops and businesses are asking for ID, at least around here, even at restaurants. I'm almost never asked to show my ID when I'm traveling.

Not that I'm trying to say HAL employees would do this, but this was a nice hotel this happened at. I never would have thought it. It's food for thought.

BTW, if using a foreign ATM the Capital One Card (Platinum, no fee first year: then cancel and get another the next month) will not charge the typical bank transaction fees unlike bank debit cards /various Visas, etc.

Capital One cards are great to use as credit cards as they do "eat" the VISA / MC foreign transaction fees and don't charge any of their own.

Using ANY credit card in an ATM is a bad idea as that is a cash advance and incurs interest immediately. Use a debit or ATM card only.

I always use a credit card any time I travel.

The reason is personal, really. My credit card number was lifted from hotel staff in Dallas. They sold my number across state lines so the Feds took over the case. I never found out what happened to the offenders, but the last I was told was that they had a list of names.

What a mess that was. And the feeling of invasion was horrible. But, thankfully, it was my credit and not debit card. Untangling your credit card from the mess of theft/fraud is such a daunting experience, but to have to untangle your checking account is even worse. And it all happened so fast, if it had been my debit card, while traveling, I would have felt paralized.

Now, I realize this can happen locally but I don't have a problem using my debit card locally. I bank locally (credit union) and have for years and know they know me and my husband well and we have all our other various accounts there to lean on. Also, more and more shops and businesses are asking for ID, at least around here, even at restaurants. I'm almost never asked to show my ID when I'm traveling.

Not that I'm trying to say HAL employees would do this, but this was a nice hotel this happened at. I never would have thought it. It's food for thought.

This brings up a good point regarding the difference between a credit card and a debit card. By law, credit card companies may not charge you for more than $50 of fraudulent charges incurred before they are notified and zero charges after they are notified. Debit cards have no such protection in law. Many banks voluntarily extend the same or similar protection to their debit card holders, but they are not required to do so. Check with your bank. Some do, some don't.

Personally, I wouldn't travel outside the US without at least one credit card with ample credit line available. But that is my personal preference.

Paul

<SNIP>

SO no, I seldom if ever need cash be it in Warsaza or Kula Lmpur.... Plastic is king to me... every dollar gets credit.

Have you ever checked to see if your Credit Card company charges a foreign transaction fee?

We very rarely fly, so having air miles for rewards are useless to us..

We also pay as much as we can with our Credit Card... Can't pay our property taxes with it as the tax collector charges about 3% more to use a credit card..

However, we give one Master card to Holland American & use our CapitalOne (Visa) Card for all items purchased or processed outside the U.S...The credit card we give to Holland charges a 3% foreign transaction fee while Capital One does not..The rewards on our cards are in cash, which we requested.. As a matter of fact, many years ago we were included in a class action law suit because our Credit Card company did not make it clear in their rules about those charges..If we had kept all of the statements from about 6 years, we may have been able to recoup those amounts..We only keep our statements for two years..

Even when purchasing something from a U.S. company you must make sure that they don't process your payment through a foreign bank..We learned of that problem on our first Oceania cruise...Before we gave them our Credit Card, we requested confirmation from our TA that Oceania would refund any transaction fees we would be charged..Since then DH & I each applied for a Capital One card (two separate accounts) with low maximums..

Would never use a debit card as the one we have is attached to our Money Market Account with Wells Fargo..If lost or stolen someone could wipe us out..

In addition, we take traveler's checks to use for additional tips, for those who make our cruise extra special..

Cheers....:)Betty

I live in Hawaii....pretty tough to drive anywhere hence I fly about 25 to 50,000 miles a year. Flying to Flordia ia an 11,000 milw rt flying to Europe 18,000 mile rt Flying to Australia 13,500. The United /Star alliance works for me very well. and after 30 years I have yet too find a better airline card or reward system.

Paying a foreign conversion is so small that I would never worry about it... seldom do I spend more than a few thousand... so $30 to $60 is worth the fee considering that I wont get stuck with left-over money. Second the transaction fee is somewhat negated by the fact you get a better exchange rate than with cash or an ATM. I see it as a cost of doing business and dont get hung -up on the details because the larger picture is more important and I can recoupe that small loss in spaded on other areas. Same for my annual fee... for which I get more than enough miles to compensate and a free 2 for one ticket and a free first class up grade + $25 off my next ticket. Not bad for $130

I dont have either a Debt card or an ATM. As I never have needed one and do not like the exposure and risks that having one entails.

I have not seen, other than bell hops or doormen or porters, and need to tip in cash... the credit card has a space for tips. I see it a waste of money to give anyone cash as theat is milage wasted. I take the opportunity to get cash by picking up the check when several cash payers want to split the bill... I get the cash, and the miles that they world have thrown away.

The milage retutn for 3% on taxes is to me a simple business decision because I get the milage at a fraction of the cost that I would buying it or flying or anything. Paying say $130 for 15,000 miles for example may seem foolish unless you have a plan for your milage use and can measure its value.

My annual fee of $150... a rip off? Well I get a free $400 to 600 ticket a $350 up grade, $25 cash back and $350 worht of milage = $1175 real value to me. Not bad is saved $1025.... Would you give me $150 if I offered you $1200.00 tax free ?

Whenever I fly it is at the shortest an 11 hour rt flight 5.5 one way and at the longest 32 hours.. , 16 hours one way. And economy coach is not an option I even entertain..... I use my milage for first class sleeper suites and business lie flat seats. My milage is important to my health and well being...not ego. I would never use milage for a coach ticket as that is a horrible waste of money to me.

Miles are worth about 3 cents, and to spend the equal of $1200 in milage credit for a ticket costing $500 is a loss of $700. Not wise. Whereas , for $4050 in milage credit . I can get a $19,520 ticket.... thats a $15,470 savings to me !!! SO ,each mile to me has an intrisic value of $0.14 if used for First class and only $0.012 if used for coach.

Try and get that sort of return annualy on yout cash back card, I dont think normal people can. I sure cant.

So sit down and look at the numbers objectively, use your accountant and see if this shoe fits. If you take or plan to take foreign cruises in the future maybe it might be worth considering:cool:

A few years of buying groceries and gas and you will be sitting on several hunderd thousand non expiring miles. Consolidate all you travel on one company... dont take a package flight , or hotels.

One card for you and no others One card for the spouse different account not yours . What may seem a wise and frugal investment ans save you a few hundred over a year could be penny wise and pound foolish several years down the pike..

Ball is in you court.....love.

I have made my decision and for 17 years nevr had to fly coach... How about you?

And remember WC Fields saying.... "Never give a sucker an evenbreak"

Dont be a sucker.

The age of the Travelers check is dead. Many places here in Hawaii worn accept them. many hotels and the like in europe will charge a fee or a higher rate to cash them.

A credit card is far more safe and far more usable, for far less.

20 years ago....Travelers checks. Today Plastic way safer and cheaper to use.

Think this over:rolleyes:

Archived