Dumb Question

Robin7

I'm having a brain cloud and can't remember. If we're slated to be in port until 6pm, is that the all aboard time or is that the time the ship leaves? Is all aboard an hour before the ship leaves? I don't know why I can't remember, and the search engine on this site is NO help.

Robin

I'm having a brain cloud and can't remember. If we're slated to be in port until 6pm, is that the all aboard time or is that the time the ship leaves? Is all aboard an hour before the ship leaves? I don't know why I can't remember, and the search engine on this site is NO help.

Robin

If the schedule states that in port till 6pm (or whatever time) - that's when the ship is scheduled to haul up the gangplank and toss off the lines - and you'd better be already on the ship!

They always say they pull the gangway 30 minutes before sailaway ... but I don't think I've ever seen them do this. It's always out until the last minute. If you tender, the last tender departs the dock a half hour before sailaway (usually.)

Brian is right. You'd better be on at scheduled departure time.

If the schedule states that in port till 6pm (or whatever time) - that's when the ship is scheduled to haul up the gangplank and toss off the lines - and you'd better be already on the ship!

Thanks, guys. We never cut it that close. We like to be back aboard at least an hour before the ship leaves.

On our Zaandam cruise last summer, our shore excursion was late returning. Boy, was I glad it was a ship-sponsored one and not independently booked! They waited for us (about 20 of us) and hustled us up the gangway so fast the ship was moving before we even got to our stateroom!

I was looking at booking an independent excursion in Curacao for November. It goes until 6pm. We're in port until 6pm. I guess I won't be booking THAT. Heh.

Robin

I have seen the ship pull away slightly before scheduled time. With their card key swiping at the gangway, they can confirm everyone is back.

I have also seen the gangway pulled within the 30 min safety zone, while we didn't sail until time or slightly late. Again I imagine because they had everyone accounted for, but may have had a designated slot in port traffic.

Lastly, while anchored, I have seen a ship hoist anchor, and get under way, only to suddenly stop, as they were hailed by a fishing boat which was racing towards the ship with a couple who were on their own personal tour, and, apparently, sailing schedule.

On our Zaandam cruise last summer, our shore excursion was late returning. Boy, was I glad it was a ship-sponsored one and not independently booked! They waited for us (about 20 of us) and hustled us up the gangway so fast the ship was moving before we even got to our stateroom!

All ship sponsored excursions have a crew or staff member along so that if the excursion is delayed for whatever reason, they can radio the ship and get them to delay departure/ask for assistance/etc.

Of course, the independent operators have no interest in getting you back to the ship too late - Just tell them that you need to be back NLT 5pm for a 6pm departure when you book and they'll more than likely comply.

You had better be on board 1/2 hour before the ship is scheduled to leave.

On our recent Maasdam cruises - Canada/New England -- Halifax -- the ship was not able to begin to secure linesuntil 8 AM and we had to be out of there before 5 PM!! They have a tough union there. Fortunately no was late back to the ship.. Believe me --- we left nearly 10 minutes early both cruises. Had anyone been arrived late they would have had to make arrangements - at their own cost -- to get to the next port of call.

All Aboard is 30 minutes ahead of departure time. I typically watch the gangway scene during the last 30 minutes before the published departure time. Its fascinating. I have seen us castoff a bit early when everyone was obviously aboard. I have seen them wait for latecomers usually from ship tours. But generally they leave pretty much on time. However, almost always there are independent passengers who stroll on in the last 30 minutes.

While the captain would have the right to pull up the gangway at All Aboard time I have never seen that when passengers are still outstanding. After Departure time you are on your own.

And if you miss the sailing, it will cost some big bucks to catch up to the ship.....saw this a few times.

We had a guest at the inn last week whose husband was telling us the story of their Boston to Bermuda cruise, and how his wife went out for a walk not long before the ship sailed. She had to fly back to Boston. I'm sure he was worried sick all the way back to Boston on the ship. A tad inconsiderate of her, I'd say.

When we sailed on the Caribbean Princess in '06, the ship was delayed leaving St. Maarten and St. Thomas because at the appointed sailing times, ambulances appeared to take ill passengers off the ship. We were watching from the Promenade Deck...and to our amazement, several people sauntered up to the gangplank to board the ship! Lucky for them the ambulances had delayed the departures!:eek:

Archived