Went with a TA

PICKLEBALL WIDOW

That's what I though jcanino. Thanks for clearing that up. Since they have their money though, why don't they just release my reservation?

They won't release it because no other TA will take it as they will earn nothing and the cruise line more than likely won't take it because they have already paid the TA.

Actually, for individual bookings, the travel agency receives their commission within two weeks of making the final payment.

Thanks for the clarification ... not working in the biz, I had the (incorrect, I now know) impression that monies don't get paid til the clients travel.

Twice now I have sailed as part of a block group. Both times I got my cabin number about 2 weeks before sailing. You should have been told up front that you were part of a GTY group and when you could expect your cabin assignment. That is the mistake of the TA.

Your mistake is by not asking the right questions. There is no transfering of the reservations. Your reservations went straight to HAL when you booked. HAL has confirmed this with you already. You should have asked what all does a GTY mean, before you agreed to the booking. Anyone who seems this desprite for a cabin assignment, seems the type to have researched the cabin they wanted in the past and called the cruise line with that cabin type in mind. So for you to agree to a GTY surprises me.

It's like someone posted earlier, sounds to me like you found a really good deal, and went with it.

But your biggest mistake is thinking that a BIG agency is the better agency.

Actually, for individual bookings, the travel agency receives their commission within two weeks of making the final payment.

Yes, but he is talking the possiblity of a group. Most group bookings don't get their commission until 2 weeks after the group has sailed.

Yes, but he is talking the possiblity of a group. Most group bookings don't get their commission until 2 weeks after the group has sailed.

Possibility, but we don't know that for sure. Anyway, my agency has never waited until after sailing to receive our commission. There are ways around it.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I won't be subscribing to this link anymore (more excited about the cruise at this point), but the point is I would have gotten the same deal and better service had I gone directly to the cruise line. No one told me I was part of a "group", and not knowing where my cabin is leaves me at the disadvantage of not being able to pay to upgrade if it's a really bad cabin.

A lot of people feel better dealing with a TA. I'll go directly to the cruise line from now on. I also suggest that anyone dealing with any TA check to see if they are members of the BBB and what people have said about them. When I checked the BBB in this city I found several complaints about this one. Oh well...live and learn.:(

Possibility, but we don't know that for sure. Anyway, my agency has never waited until after sailing to receive our commission. There are ways around it.

Hi Joe! I work for a very large agency and ind res are paid after FP, but groups are paid 30 days after travel with RCCL. Not sure if it is set up this way with all agencies though. (NCL changed thier group policy this year and they aren't paying until 60 days!!!! for their groups!)

Archived