Went with a TA

PICKLEBALL WIDOW

Weeble: When did you book the cruise?

Did you book a guarantee cabin category or a specific cabin?

When is your cruise?

I agree with the prior poster that if you booked a specific cabin, your TA would have given you the cabin number.

If you booked a guarantee and now that category is sold out, it means that you could still get a cabin in that category, or possibly an upgrade to a higher category, if there is a big demand for your guaranteed category AND if there are unsold cabins in higher category. No one knows for sure how HAL's "upgrade fairy" works.

If you booked a guarantee category, you may not know which cabin you have been assigned until about 2 weeks prior to your sailing date or in the worst case, upon check-in at the pier. Even if you learn your cabin # prior to checking in, your cabin assignment could still change to another cabin in the same or better category. Hope this helps!

It sounds like you need to be asking your TA a few questions, if they have not explained this to you yet.

I made a big mistake by using a TA this time...I usually book directly through the cruise line. When I call them, all I get is, "We TOLD you we don't know. You keep calling and asking the same question. We TOLD you we don't know if your cabin has been assigned, and we TOLD you we don't know when the reservation will be switched to HAL." In other words, they don't want to be bothered. Thank goodness most TA's aren't like this, but I guess I picked a looser agency.

I just thought someone might know when the reservation is usually transferred to the cruise line. I won't breathe easy until I know my reservations are in good hands.

The cruise isn't until November, but as fellow cruisers you know how exciting it is to know where you're gonna be. My biggest complaint is that we might want to upgrade. The price of balcony's have gone down and the TA doesn't want to be bothered and the cruise line can't do anything because they don't have the reservation.

Geez. I learned the hard way.:mad:

Normally, when I make my reservation with a T/A, she calls HAL while I am still at the agency, conveys all the details, gives them my credit card number, gets a booking/confirmation number for me. So, in my case, the reservation is made immediately with HAL.

Based on a November sailing, if you just now made the booking, I would guess the entire full payment is due now, not just a deposit. When payment is processed, it should be to HAL and not to your T/A.

I would be concerned that at this late date, if your T/A does not make your booking with HAL and get a confirmation number, you have no guarantee of any space on that sailing.

If I understand your issue: your concern is your cabin number rather than your HAL confirmation number. If your T/A has not made the booking and your payment to HAL, you don't yet have confirmed passage much less a cabin number.

Suggest you move up the agency chain of command, as it seems you are being shuffled and not served.

maybe you can get the booking switched to HAL??? sounds like they don't really want to be of service......

I'm not a lawyer ... but I question whether technically a booking even exists, as it seems monies have not yet been applied. If a booking actually existed, the T/A of record would have to release it in writing. While the agent may not be anxious to serve his client, he would be even less interested in transferring the booking and losing the commission $$$$.

Exploring this option does have its upside, however.

Did your TA give you a booking number? You can go online to HAL's website for booked passengers and confirm your booking. I am assuming you booked a guaranteed cabin. If this is indeed the case, your cabin number, when assigned, will appear on the web site so it makes sense to keep checking.

Be aware however, that it is possible your cabin number will not be assigned until you get to the port. This is the nature of guaranteed cabins. And it sounds like your TA has told you they don't know, because HAL has not yet made an assignment. Those who prefer certainty, book a specific cabin.

If your TA did not give you a booking number and/ or if there is no record of it on HAL's web site, you may have bigger problems than waiting for your cabin assignment.

HAL is generally very slow assigning staterooms to guarantees. With other lines I can almost always get the room number weeks or months in advance. But not with Holland America...it's usually about a week prior to sailing.

If I understand the OP's comments correctly, I'm not sure gty is the issue. In fact, nothing indicates he's booked a gty. The OP's T/A may not have even made the reservation with HAL, as the agent indicated he/she didn't know when it would be transferred to HAL. So, HAL may not be slow here ... seems more like the T/A is afflicted with inertia.

I made a big mistake by using a TA this time...I usually book directly through the cruise line. When I call them, all I get is, "We TOLD you we don't know. You keep calling and asking the same question. We TOLD you we don't know if your cabin has been assigned, and we TOLD you we don't know when the reservation will be switched to HAL." In other words, they don't want to be bothered. Thank goodness most TA's aren't like this, but I guess I picked a looser agency.

I just thought someone might know when the reservation is usually transferred to the cruise line. I won't breathe easy until I know my reservations are in good hands.

The cruise isn't until November, but as fellow cruisers you know how exciting it is to know where you're gonna be. My biggest complaint is that we might want to upgrade. The price of balcony's have gone down and the TA doesn't want to be bothered and the cruise line can't do anything because they don't have the reservation.

Geez. I learned the hard way.:mad:

I also had the misfortune of booking my recent Carnival cruise with a TA and did not get information of my cabin number until I embark the ship. The cruise line REFUSED to tell me which room I have been assigned, when I logged in the website, it said TBA, and the cruise company was of no help either. I was able to get the information from the bon voyage department of the cruise line when I called to place an order for my sister who also went on the cruise.

If you have the booking number, which the TA should have given you by now, you probably can see the information that the cruise line wants you to see.

Weeble - Some musings on your question.

Don't understand why your reservation should be "transferred" to HAL. It should have been made with HAL as soon as you gave the TA any money.

Are you part of a group cruise? If not, did the TA make you part of one without your knowledge. You should find out.

If you paid any money for either a deposit or the full payment by credit card, was the charge to the TA or to HAL? If it shows to the TA, you might have a real problem.

Did the TA give you a cruiseline reservation number. They should have done that as soon as they got your money.

As another poster said, it sounds like HAL might no know you even exist.

Good Luck

Seems kind of odd, there's nothing to transfer, the booking is made directly with the cruise line either on the phone or on the computer. Could be group space that the agency is holding, so the agency has the space, but rooms won't be assigned yet. Personally when dealing with clients unless I knew they were bad off and trying to save every penny I wouldn't even do a guarantee, just something about having a room number and being able to see it in the deck plan.

Weeble - Some musings on your question.

Don't understand why your reservation should be "transferred" to HAL. It should have been made with HAL as soon as you gave the TA any money.

Are you part of a group cruise? If not, did the TA make you part of one without your knowledge. You should find out.

If you paid any money for either a deposit or the full payment by credit card, was the charge to the TA or to HAL? If it shows to the TA, you might have a real problem.

Did the TA give you a cruiseline reservation number. They should have done that as soon as they got your money.

As another poster said, it sounds like HAL might no know you even exist.

Good Luck

I need Good Luck. I tried again yesterday. I called the TA and they told me again that the reservation won't go to HAL until the very last minute, just in time to assign a cabin. I did purchase a guarantee, so I understood that the assignment might not be immediate, but when I booked directly through the cruise line. I DO have a booking number, but everything says TBA. I was glad to hear HAL takes longer than other lines.

As far as getting the reservation to HAL, even though the cruise is paid for entirely, apparently the huge TA I used thinks they need to keep their hands on it as long as possible. Never again. HAL is aware of my reservation but because of their contract with the TA they can tell me absolutely nothing other than I have a paid for, confirmed reservation.

I am happy for those of you who have had good experience with TA's. After over 30 cruises this is the first time I've used one and never will again. Their attitude, once I booked, was really awful.

PaulWN, how can I find out if they threw me in a group? The TA won't offer any info and neither will HAL.

I want to thank all of you for your input. I've learned a very important lesson...you'd think I would have known better. From now on I will book directly with the cruiseline as I have in the past. This was my first attempt at using one and because they're so big I thought I could trust them. I even filed a BBB complaint with the NJ BBB...just to try to get them to release the booking. No luck there either. If you're lucky enough to find a TA that works with you and FOR you, you're very fortunate.

Since the TA has their money, there's no reason for them to hold the reservation, yet they do. There's nothing I can do to get them to transfer it. They got their commission.

Since the TA has their money, there's no reason for them to hold the reservation, yet they do. There's nothing I can do to get them to transfer it. They got their commission.

They (the T/A) won't get their commission til you've sailed. They have nothing now, except for your money. If the credit card payment was to the T/A rather than to HAL, I would consider denying the charge and, once that is squared away with your credit card company, rebook directly with the cruiseline. There is absolutely no reason for the ageny to mal-service you ... sounds like they won't even give you your HAL confirmation number which you will need to do shore excursions if you choose to do so.

I need Good Luck. I tried again yesterday. I called the TA and they told me again that the reservation won't go to HAL until the very last minute, just in time to assign a cabin.

This is completley normal with a group booking.

I did purchase a guarantee, so I understood that the assignment might not be immediate, but when I booked directly through the cruise line. I DO have a booking number, but everything says TBA. I was glad to hear HAL takes longer than other lines.

This can happen on any cruiseline, not only HAL

As far as getting the reservation to HAL, even though the cruise is paid for entirely, apparently the huge TA I used thinks they need to keep their hands on it as long as possible.

Because this sounds like it is a group booking. Completely normal

Never again. HAL is aware of my reservation but because of their contract with the TA they can tell me absolutely nothing other than I have a paid for, confirmed reservation.

Not sure why you are concerned then?

I am happy for those of you who have had good experience with TA's. After over 30 cruises this is the first time I've used one and never will again. Their attitude, once I booked, was really awful.

From your earlier posts, "When I call them, all I get is, "We TOLD you we don't know. You keep calling and asking the same question. We TOLD you we don't know if your cabin has been assigned, and we TOLD you we don't know when the reservation will be switched to HAL." In other words, they don't want to be bothered. Thank goodness most TA's aren't like this, but I guess I picked a looser agency.

If you continue to ask the same question other agency's will give you the same answers also...

PaulWN, how can I find out if they threw me in a group? The TA won't offer any info and neither will HAL.

Simply ask the agency. Most large online agencies have groups on sailings to lower prices . It really will make no difference whether you are in a group or not. I'm guessing after 30 some cruises , you booked with this agency because of lower rates etc....this is what a group will do for you.

I want to thank all of you for your input. I've learned a very important lesson...you'd think I would have known better. From now on I will book directly with the cruiseline as I have in the past. This was my first attempt at using one and because they're so big I thought I could trust them. I even filed a BBB complaint with the NJ BBB...just to try to get them to release the booking. No luck there either. If you're lucky enough to find a TA that works with you and FOR you, you're very fortunate.

Again, not sure why you are so upset> HAL verified you had a booking?

They are NOT holding the reservation...groups are paid for differently. You have a confirmation number..you are fine.

They are NOT holding the reservation...groups are paid for differently. You have a confirmation number..you are fine.

I think Lvtotrl1 has it right. First, it took a couple of posts to find out that OP has a guarantee cat of some type. Second, if this agency is a "consolidator" then the whole block of rooms would be assigned out at once. And thus the reason to wait for the "transfer".

Sorry for the frustration experience. But sound like it is because of the nature of this booking, and not because of using a TA.

Happy Sailing.

As long as you have a confirmation number and HAL knows you have a reservation, you're OK. As others have said, looks like you're part of a group booked by the TA and you will get your cabin numer before you board. Even if you book a guarantee directly with the cruise line, you might not now your cabin until you get to the pier.

When should my reservation get to HAL? My TA swears I haven't been assigned a cabin yet, but I find that hard to believe because the section I purchased is showing as sold out. Any ideas?

you are worrying about nothing: your reservation got to HAL the very second your TA took your information. Sold out or not, it sounds like you choose a gty room catagory. They may post it anytime or not til you get to the ship. NOrmally it isn't that late. You can try checking pre registration which you have to do anyway. If you have a cabin assignment it will show.

Nita

ps lv2trvl thanks for explaining it better than I did.

Nita

HAL is generally very slow assigning staterooms to guarantees. With other lines I can almost always get the room number weeks or months in advance. But not with Holland America...it's usually about a week prior to sailing.

That is pretty much what i think has happened. There is no reason for the TA to be snotty and I would be upset as well, but it does sound like she choose a guarantee catagory. The longer it takes to get the assignment the more likely for an upgrade. This isn't always the case.

When booking a partiucalar cabin the number is given as soon as the agent enters it into the system or calls the cruise line.

Rarely do we call the cruise lines for booking standard reservations anymore, we use the comuter.

Nita

That is pretty much what i think has happened. There is no reason for the TA to be snotty and I would be upset as well, but it does sound like she choose a guarantee catagory. The longer it takes to get the assignment the more likely for an upgrade. This isn't always the case.

When booking a partiucalar cabin the number is given as soon as the agent enters it into the system or calls the cruise line.

Rarely do we call the cruise lines for booking standard reservations anymore, we use the comuter.

Nita

I purchased a guarantee, but one of the reasons I'm so concerned is the attitude the BIG TA has when I call. Get this...they won't even let a regular agent talk to me anymore...as soon as they pull up my reservation they transfer me to customer service. Ho-hum. They know I filed a complaint with the BBB because of their crappy service. If the TA has anythingi to do with assigning a cabin I'll probably be on the lowest deck, closest to the janitors closet.

Anyway, the category I booked was a blocked ocean view. The reason I want to know what cabin I've been assigned is so that, if it really is that bad I can upgrade. Their loss I guess. But I'm surprised they don't want more of my money.

Booking with the Cruise Line, on their 800 number of on the computer is the only way I'll do it from now on.

Archived