organic cruising

travel1234

I've been trying to get a straight answer from the cruise lines up in Alaska.

I've got a friend who has asked me to book their cruise in Alaska. They are on a all organic food kick or diet. In short they want to make sure the cruise line they pick has an organic food option. Not just a spa menu but

actual guaranteed organic food. Anyone had this experience and can direct me. I've faxed and emailed every cruise line but have yet gotten anyone who will tell me if this is an option.

Any other Organic cruisers out there who can share their experiences?

I have never seen Organic food on the ship. Its all mass produced food. You may get it on the high end lines(like Radisson) but not on the mass market. Veggies they will have but not organically grown ones and the milk won't be either. Its way too expensive for the mass market lines.

I've been on all the luxury lines and none of them do organic food. It's just too cost prohibitive to do something like that for a very minute percentage of passenger. Plus, it's been discovered that a goodly percent of what's labeled as organic, isn't organic at all.

Since food must "keep" for so long on a cruise ship, it's also probably more difficult to maintain organic food than it is food with preservatives and grown without additives, hormones, etc. I am an organic eater, and a vegetarian, but when it comes to vacation very rarely do I have organic choices. Veggie choices yes, but organic choices not so much.

I too try to eat all organic,but its next to impossible to eat all organic on a cruise.The best i can do is eat lots of fruit and veggies,try and stay away from red meat cause you know all the hormones and antibiotics are in it.When your in ports your luck is alittle bit better you have a wider option.Just go and have fun i've never had bad reactions from eating cruise food just pick and choose you'll be fine,usually the fruits are very fresh and tasty.

• 5 years later...
I've been trying to get a straight answer from the cruise lines up in Alaska.

I've got a friend who has asked me to book their cruise in Alaska. They are on a all organic food kick or diet. In short they want to make sure the cruise line they pick has an organic food option. Not just a spa menu but

actual guaranteed organic food. Anyone had this experience and can direct me. I've faxed and emailed every cruise line but have yet gotten anyone who will tell me if this is an option.

Any other Organic cruisers out there who can share their experiences?

I have read enough about so called 'organic food' in Canada to assume that very little food is really organic. Articles written by inspectors and ex inspectors seem to bare this out. Farmers for example in Canada have the right to turn away inspectors, and have them make an appointment to 'inspect'. One inspector found weed killers, and insecticides on a property, but when he took samples back to the lab. for testing, he was told that it would be too expensive.

Another put it this way. 'Growing, or producing organic food in Canada, is like a Canadian competing in the Olympics, coming in first, but being told that unlike of all the other athletes there was no need for him or her to be tested.

Yes it makes me very angry too, when I consider the few farmers who ARE organic, and the rest who make big profits on a lie.

Last time I was at our farmers market, every farmer claimed the product for sale as organic.

john

Archived