One-way taxi question: Livorno and Civitavecchia

We're a family of 5. I'm thinking about using taxis for one-way between Livorno and Florence, and same for Civita and Rome. Then take the train the other way. I'm trying to combine a little peace of mind and to save a little. The thought is that the taxi gets us to both cities faster or back to ship faster and we still have freedom to do what we want without committing to an all day guide. Does this logic make sense? Will we find taxis willing to do the one-way trip? We'll be in both ports from 7am - 7pm.

How much should I budget for the 1-way taxi fare? Would they allow 5 in one cab? what's the law there? Do I need to reserve the taxis in advance or just get one from the port? Oh boy...so many questions. Thankful to CC and everyone here sharing your experience.

Taxis are rather expensive. For Civitavecchia it is extremely easy to take the train there and back. You can purchase a day pass (BIRG) for 9 euros. This pass is good for all trains, buses and metro in Rome. Much cheaper then the 100+ euros for a cab. The trains in Rome are very efficient and easy. There are shuttles in Port to take you to town and then it is a 10 minute walk to the train station. Depending on when your ship leaves, check the time table at Roma Termini to see when you should go back. There are express trains, but best to err on the side of caution and target a train leaving 2 hours before the ship leaves. Believe it or not the train is just as fast as a taxi and Roma Termini is in the middle of the sites and you can also get off at San Pietro which is close to the vatican.

Livorno is another problem. It is 1.5 hours from Florence. The train is not as reliable. It is probably best to hire a cab for the day - I have heard 320 euros offered. You don't pay them until you are back at the ship. Tuscany By Taxi is pretty good - but there are a ton of taxi drivers at the port when you get off. In this port, a taxi is worth every penny and most of them easily seat 5 people.

Archived