Recommandations for family cruise

cjw

:confused: We are considering a European River Cruise for our family of 4, (2 kids, pre-teen and teenager.) We are looking for some input into what line might be best suited for a family. We're not looking for planned childrens activities or "kids clubs" but want to travel where they are welcomed.

THANKS

There are some lines that do not allow children under the age of 12. There is nothing for children to do, even tv viewing is very limited. But if this is what your family wants to do, then do it. It is a fantastic educational experience. I wouldn't even worry about food--the breakfast and lunch buffets always have great selections. Dinner can usually be ordered without sauces. We have only been on one of our five river cruises with children--these were teens from two families (cousins)--just delightful. If we who are older ignore children, might they just ignore us in our really old age? As long as their parents are watchful over them, we just might learn from them. Uniworld did offer family cruises this year, don't know about next. Most children would not enjoy the cruise tours, but you can always venture on your own. Steamboats can offer advice about this. Their little girl has been cruising longer than some of us. Pat

cjw,

Pacmom is right, we are travelling with our DD (now 7 y) and she has made 9 river cruises in the US (now all Majestic America Line) and 2 in Europe (both Deilmann).

It all depends on your kids. If they don´t bother travelling with a bunch of older people, having no real kids stuff aboard, are interested in history and are well behaved not disturbing the other passengers a river cruise with kids is a great way of traveling. Some cruise lines do have a disclaimer saying no kids 12 and under (I think Viking US was the one, no restrictions with Viking Germany). Uniworld has just started a family program with a couple of more kid like shore tours (but I think it was also 12 and up). Usually the only real entertainment for kids is the TV and some board games or jigsaw puzzles.

As German river cruise lines usually do not include the shore tours (US river cruise lines in Europe do include shore tours) this is perfect for us. We pick a shore tour if it sounds suitable for the age of our daughter (like Puszta Horse Farm in Budapest). A 3 hour narrated walking city tour won´t be very thrilling for a 7 y old.

I´m always quite well prepared. I´m checking all shore stops on the internet and order brochures (they usually are sending out information to the US too) so I can pick some interesting stuff for our family. Of course I´m packing stuff for our DD like crayolas, books, MP3 player, Nintendo DS (get a new game for the cruise) to keep her busy. As she is used to river cruising she usually finds her way around pretty soon and makes friends with the crew (and most of them are pretty happy to keep her busy). On our Elbe river cruise this spring she spent much time in the beauty shop (the girl there didn´t have much work). Once the Maitre ´D told us he was really impressed with her. He played around with her for some time but the other day he was busy ordering the supplies for the next cruise. So he told her that he doesn´t have any time for her right now and she said it´s o.k. and went away (that´s what impressed him).

I´d say choose the itinerary you want to do and then choose the cruise line.

steamboats

Thanks so much for all your information. I think our children would do very well in that type of atmosphere and they are well behaved I just see so little about kids on river cruises I was a little concerned.

Any imput on a route that is better for children????

cjw,

That´s hard to say. The Rhine river has a lot of old castles and scenic landscape especially in the upper and middle Rhine valley.

The classic route Prague - Budapest is bringing you to three major capitals in Europe, Prague, Vienna and Budapest. All offer a lot of attractions for kids too (take a "Fiaker" = horse buggy ride in Vienna, visit the Prater area with the big ferris wheel in Vienna, make a Puszta tour in Budapest). In Nuremberg (bus trip from Prague to Nuremberg, app. 5 hours) you can experience history and WWII. Smaller cities like Passau and Regensburg offer a great medieval historic downtown area. Passau is featuring the world largest pipe organ.

I think Uniword featured the Rhine river for its family cruises. But with Prague - Budapest you have a larger variety of interesting places.

steamboats

Archived