Miss Ship's Departure?

Meg8411

For future reference use a TA and they will do all the fighting for you. if there are changes we have people who will fix it for us usually. they will fix flights for someone just depends who they want to help

I think they should since a lot of TA's charge a booking fee for flights, which I think is justified since they don't get a commission from the airlines.:)

Bill

Lot's of very good advice on this thread and I'll add some that may be of use - check to see what airlines have a code share with Delta. I've had luck in the past playing one code share airline (continental) off of another (Northwest). In fact, it was for a cruise, now that I think about it. Anyway, if your Delta flight is also code-shared with another airline, go to that airline directly and see if they can re-route you.

Did you book the flights with Delta with only a 40 minute connection time frame or did they move one of the flights and only give you the 40 minute connection flight? As another poster pointed out, 40 minutes is not an allowable connection time in the Atlanta airport so they do have to change it if the did this to you. Delta should move you, call back and speak to someone else and if that doesn't work ask to speak to a supervisor.

American changed my flight time as since it was over 45 minutes they waived the cancellation fee and changed the flight for me.

Also, since you are flying in the day of the cruise and in the middle of winter I would buy trip insurance right away. It will be worth the cost if you need it.

40 minutes is NOT a legal connect time in Atlanta. The minimum legal connect time there is 55 minutes. Try going rule 240 on them. It's the law!

While 55 minutes is the standard minimum connection time for a domestic to domestic connection, there are exceptions listed to the standard minimum connection time, and like it or not, this is a valid connection per the exceptions listed.

Steve

Worst case, you know far enough ahead of time you could always cancel your cruise booking. You're outside of final payment so you will get a full refund or your FCC's back. If the flights are such a mess, why not pick another date if you can and rebook the whole trip flying in the day ahead.

Good luck.

P.s. Delta just changed flights on us also but thankfully we're flying in two days in advance and the changes had no impact on our cruise.

Lot's of very good advice on this thread and I'll add some that may be of use - check to see what airlines have a code share with Delta. I've had luck in the past playing one code share airline (continental) off of another (Northwest). In fact, it was for a cruise, now that I think about it. Anyway, if your Delta flight is also code-shared with another airline, go to that airline directly and see if they can re-route you.

Delta is a member of Skyteam, so they partner with Continental and Northwest.

For my CB cruise in 2 weeks I booked my flight to Ft. Lauderdale several months in advance so I could use FF miles. I had an early morning flight on Saturday that connected in Detroit for a 9:30 a.m. departure to Ft. Lauderdale. About a month ago, NWA decided to eliminate the early morning flight on weekends, so I ended up with a 4:00 pm first leg connecting with a 9:30 a.m. second leg - not a good thing! Northwest changed my flight to the previous day for no fee as soon as they looked at the itinerary.

I would try Delta again - they should do one change at no fee, and they should book you on a partner airline if necessary.

Unfortunately, until any of the airlines screw us, we don't realize that we actually have rights! I had booked a flight for 4 of us once on TWA (right before AA took over) -- I booked in February for May (mother's day weekend) to Miami. We picked a flight coming back on Sunday that would get us in at 8:30 pm so the kids could get up and go to school the next morning. Welllllll, they changed our flight 3 times coming back . . . telling us the flights were cancelled. When we got to St. Louis to change planes, we looked on the monitor for our gate and lo and behold - there was the ORIGINAL flight that would have gotten us in at 8:30. That's when I learned to open my mouth!

Thanks to TWA/AA we were able to experience our first cruise with free airfare. My point to them was that they bumped us off the flight without our consent and that we had chosen that specific flight for a specific reason, and that they had lied to us in the process.

So, to the OP, as has been said before, stand up for your rights - you're paying for the flight! Purchase some trip insurance.

And finally, have a good trip!

40 minutes is NOT a legal connect time in Atlanta. The minimum legal connect time there is 55 minutes. Try going rule 240 on them. It's the law!

Here's Delta's version of rule 240. They have to satisfy you or give you your money back. Sorry about the formating on this. I got this from: www.travelrights.com

Delta Air Lines

Rule 240 USED to apply to passengers rights for IRREGULAR OPERATIONS, NOT a short connection time. Rule 240 USED to state EXACTLY what an airline had to do for you if you missed your flight-hotel, other airline, food, etc. Each airline now has its own t & c's relating to what they will and will not do in case of IRREGULAR OPS. This has NO bearing on the OP's question about the short connecting time. It would only have bearing IF the OP missed her connection in ATL due to a late arriving flight. And "Rule 240" really does the OP no good-if the ATL flight is missed, the ship sails and no amount of airline provided hotel rooms or food vouchers makes up for that.

Below is ripped from a fellow FF who said it better than I ever could.

"The Consumerist article linked above has a lot of information based on My Travel Rights. In fact, copied directly from that website. For everyone's info, My Travel Rights is a very outdated site established by a lawyer specializing in "travel law". (Does "ambulance chaser" have an airline equivalent?) Further, the site still shows the CoC for Trans World Airlines (TWA) - which indicates that this is not in any way current info. So, I would suggest that you NOT rely on the quoted material on the Consumerist site, but rather go directly to the CoC of the airline you are flying.

As to the original question: Yes, I have received the benefits due me under the relevant and in-force CoC. This includes both DL and NW CoC's. I keep them on my laptop just in case I need them for reference.

As for using "Rule 240" on a gate agent -- one time when I inadvertently used that term, the agent replied: "If you know enough to use that term, you should also know enough to realize that there is no 240 anymore." After I laughed and fessed up to the slip, and he noted my FF status, we chatted about the people who just toss out the "Rule 240" term at gate agents expecting the world in return. Let's just say that approach often creates a certain impression in the GA's mindset and likely doesn't get you the best consideration."

Again, I don't know where you got your info, but I just ripped this off Delta's website. Please note the LAYOVER time-not even 40 minutes.

Departs Arrives Stops Travel Time Flights & Cabin (Class)

Cincinnati, OH (CVG) to San Juan, PR (SJU) on Fri, 05 Oct 2007

7:34am

CVG 1:25pm

SJU 1-stop

Atlanta

(37 min layover)

5 hr 51 min

Alright..delta has royally screwed me . . .

Google "Rule 240" and see if it applies to you. I'm am not sure since you are not at the airport but it's a good little tool for all to know.

Website: http://consumerist.com/consumer/rule...0368.php#Delta

Delta

Rule 240 applies to All Delta Air Lines flight delays, cancellations or misconnections are as a result of a

1.Schedule Irregularity, or 2.A Force Majeure Event.

SCHEDULE IRREGULARITY

Delta Air Lines defines a schedule irregularity as:

A delay in the departure or arrival of a Delta Air Lines flight that results in a misconnection, or A flight cancellation or omission of a scheduled stop, or any other delay or interruption of a Delta Air Lines flight, or A substitution of equipment to a different class of service, or A schedule change that requires you to be rerouted.

If your flight is delayed, cancelled or you miss a connecting Delta Air Lines flight, due to a schedule irregularity &

1.Delta Air Lines must confirm you on their next flight (on which space is available) at no additional cost. 2.If there is an alternate Delta Air flight that will arrive at your destination earlier than the alternate you have been offered, you have the right to be confirmed on this Delta Air Lines' flight at no additional cost, even if first class space is all that is available. 3.If the alternate Delta Air Lines flight is not acceptable to you, you have the right to be confirmed on the flight of a different airline at no additional cost. 4.If there is an alternate "different airline" flight that will arrive at your destination earlier than any alternate flight you have been offered, you have the right to be confirmed on this flight at no additional cost, even if first class space is all that is available. 5.If no alternate flight (on Delta Air Lines or a "different airline") is acceptable to you, Delta Air Lines must refund your money - even if you have a non-refundable ticket.

FORCE MAJEURE EVENT

Delta Air Lines defines a force majeure event as:

Any conditions beyond Delta Air Lines' control, including weather, acts of God, civil commotion, wars, hostilities, strikes, labor-related disputes, government regulation, shortage of labor or fuel, or other facts not foreseen by Delta Air Lines.

If your flight is delayed, cancelled, or you miss a connection to a Delta Air Lines flight due to a Force Majeure Event (and this includes weather), Delta Air Lines' only obligation is to refund your ticket. Delta Air Lines will probably try to reroute you to an alternate flight, but according to Rule 240, they are not required to do this.

If you decide to use Rule 240 ask for a Supervisor and be very courtesy as it is easier to blow you off by phone than in person.

Good luck!

P.S. Once you speak the words "Rule 240" there is no turning back. An agent MUST without hesitation or questioning proceed to accomodate you on the next available flight out on the same day.

P.P.S. If you ever plan to use this rule at the airport, keep it to yourself so that people in front of you do not fill up the only remaining flight out before you therefore leaving you behind.

Google "Rule 240" and see if it applies to you. I'm am not sure since you are not at the airport but it's a good little tool for all to know.

Please, everyone, you are quoting outdated and obsolete information. There is NO RULE 240 anymore. The language of Rule 240 (which at one time was federally mandated during REGULATED air travel) is now incorporated in each individual airlines' Conditions of Carriage. And each airline was free to set their own limitations regarding what is/is not covered, so no universal application of any provision of the old "Rule 240".

"Rule 240", if it were in fact a valid rule today, would do the OP absolutely NO good, EXCEPT in the case of a mechanical problem at origination. It does NOT cover weather, labor, fuel shortage or airport problems (like the bomb scare in Boston yesterday). If it was still valid, it ONLY covers mechanical problems and very little else.

Please see additional info in post 38.

And no amount of using "Rule 240" or any other "Rule" is going to help the OP. Airline provided hotels and food vouchers hardly make up for missing the cruise.

We have not heard from the OP. The question whether the OP booked the 40 minute connection or whether the flights were changed by Delta to a 40 minute connection have not been answered. Two totally different scenarios-one the airline will most likely do something about. The other-the OP must handle on their own-whether by standing by for an earlier flight or paying a change fee (+ possibly more air fare) to increase the connection time or arrive earlier than the original flight.

OP, are you out there???

Please, everyone, you are quoting outdated and obsolete information. There is NO RULE 240 anymore. The language of Rule 240 (which at one time was federally mandated during REGULATED air travel) is now incorporated in each individual airlines' Conditions of Carriage. And each airline was free to set their own limitations regarding what is/is not covered, so no universal application of any provision of the old "Rule 240".

The term "Rule 240/80" is very much alive. Each airline has incorporated their own rules for it. Before deregulation in '78, Rule 240 was literally a federal requirement. Nowadays, it's a term describing what individual airlines will do for late or stranded passengers. In fact, the major airlines have filed "conditions of carriage" with the U.S. Department of Transporatation (DOT) guaranteeing their respective Rule 240s.

So don't dismiss the term, it is not obsolete but does not cover advance schedule changes that don't result in misconnects or significant changes in departure or arrival times.

Sounds like the OP booked that schedule or perhaps DL made a change resulting in a shorter connection time, not a misconnect.

The term "Rule 240/80" is very much alive. Each airline has incorporated their own rules for it. Before deregulation in '78, Rule 240 was literally a federal requirement. Nowadays, it's a term describing what individual airlines will do for late or stranded passengers. In fact, the major airlines have filed "conditions of carriage" with the U.S. Department of Transporatation (DOT) guaranteeing their respective Rule 240s.

So don't dismiss the term, it is not obsolete but does not cover advance schedule changes that don't result in misconnects or significant changes in departure or arrival times.

Sounds like the OP booked that schedule or perhaps DL made a change resulting in a shorter connection time, not a misconnect.

It appears you posted duplicate info from my post-"conditions of carriage", federal requirement, etc, etc.

Airlines very rarely use the term anymore. While C & C's spell out very specific contractual obligations on both parties, in no way do they "guarantee" the EXACT specifications of the original, federally mandated Rule 240. Each airline has their own rules and regulations regarding mis-connects/cancellations, etc. And each airline is free to change and amend those rules/regulations at will, so long as the most basic passenger protections are incorporated.

Travel writers, travel agents and consumer advocates seem to be throw the term "Rule 240" around frequently. And most give the impression that responsibility for a "glitch" in the system which results in a missed flight for ANY reason falls on the shoulders of the airlines. This is sheer fallacy.

The airlines will do their best to accommodate you on another flight, give you a hotel room or feed you in case of irregular ops. However, they are only REQUIRED to accommodate you in very limited circumstances.

And most of the problems that have gained so much attention recently-pilot and crew shortage at NW, horrible weather problems at DFW, and security shutdowns at various airport across the US to name a few are NOT covered in todays' C of C's and most certainly weren't covered by Rule 240. So if you have a mechanical problem with your flight, make sure you haul out your 1978 copy of RULE 240.

Airlines very rarely use the term anymore.

I'm sorry to disagree, Google the term, it's alive and well. Also airlines even document it in the PNR, I am a 25 year airline employee hired after 1978 and we used it then, we use it now. My main point is that if you reference it, people in the travel industry know what it means even though it doesn't have the stringent definition it once did.

To the OP, I share your frustration!! I have a couple of tips which haven't been covered yet. First, have alternate flights already chosen, even if on different airline, when you start your trip. If you do get delayed, get on your cell phone (or even the airplane phones) and call Delta right away -- too many people wait to go to the customer service desk in the airport, you can beat all of them to the punch as you try to reschedule. The seond tip is to pack enough essential in your carry ons to get you through in case you make it but your luggage doesn't. Underwear, for example, is impossible to buy in the ship's shops. Please let us know how you make out with Delta, the best alternative is to push them to change your flights without a fee!

The term "Rule 240/80" is very much alive.

From personal experience I know Rule 240 does exist and the only way to be prepared is to printout a copy of the specific airline's rules which one will be using. Rule 240 can be found on the internet for most major airlines. Always print out two copies. One extra in case you hand counter representative a copy and he/she does not return to you.

Is the Rule over used, yes, however, if you are within the guidelines you will see results.

...and the only way to be prepared is to printout a copy of the specific airline's rules which one will be using. Rule 240 can be found on the internet for most major airlines. Always print out two copies. One extra in case you hand counter representative a copy and he/she does not return to you.

Smart Cookie!

Most of this has been posted, but:

I'd check and see about rebooking that flight for the night before and getting a hotel room now. You'd probably have some change fees but it might be worth it. Or, for a Jan 12 sailing, you can still cancel, your final payment isn't until Oct 12.

I wouldn't risk getting there on time with your current arrangements because that sounds like a recipe for disaster, sorry :(

Archived