Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

FYI 'dredging project' :

"When expansion concludes, the dredging project will widen the Canal's approximate 9 mile-long (14 km) navigation channels to a minimum of 715 feet (218 meters) and deepen them to a maximum level of -51 feet (-15.5 meters)."

'Expansion Project' :

"The ACP Expansion Program will build a new lane along the Panama Canal through the construction of a new set of locks, which will double capacity and allow more traffic and longer, wider ships." (late 2013)

ship maximums:

old: 985' long, 106' wide, 42' deep

new: 1200' wide, 180' long, 60' deep

refer to Pancanal dot com

Hi everyone. :)

Just thought I would slip on over here and introduce myself and DH (Michael). We just booked a Transatlantic on the Solstice for Nov 30, 2009.

I am soooooooooooooooooo excited!!!!!!

Anyway, nice to meet you all and I hope to get to know you all better.

I am just sooooooo excited...I thought I was leaving today.:rolleyes: I only have 364 days left.

I dunno. Two weeks in a shipyard in Germany would have been kind of different:D

I hope you get a response, but I'm of the same opinion as MVP. I think they'll be a little larger, but not of M-Class proportions. To be honest, just the view of that wake is enough for me and if a lounger fits out there that would be great.

Phil

To be honest, just the view of that wake is enough for me and if a lounger fits out there that would be great.

Phil

Phil, You just summed up my own thoughts. We had a massive corner aft on Freedom where there was room for two chairs, two loungers and a table and still enough space for ballroom dancing! For me, anything big enough so that my knees aren't jammed against the rail while I'm eating is fine.

Phil, You just summed up my own thoughts. We had a massive corner aft on Freedom where there was room for two chairs, two loungers and a table and still enough space for ballroom dancing! For me, anything big enough so that my knees aren't jammed against the rail while I'm eating is fine.

Schplinky, the other thing I was thinking is that if the weather was inclement and one didn't want to venture outside, it would be easier to sit and watch the sea from the bed or sofa if there wasn't such an expanse of balcony to look over. For that reason I think I prefer the bed near the window arrangement. Throw open the curtains on sea days and just sit up and watch the sea:cool: Am I doing a good job of justifying the possibility of a smaller balcony or what?;)

Phil

Looking at this picture of the Solstice model that someone posted earlier, the balconies do look a bit larger than the average balcony.

274967472_QRh24-M.jpg

Unfortunately the model isn't totally accurate. For example, if you compare it to the deck plans, you will see that there are 8 and not 6 aft balcony cabins between the corner suites.

Floris

Unfortunately the model isn't totally accurate. For example, if you compare it to the deck plans, you will see that there are 8 and not 6 aft balcony cabins between the corner suites.

Floris

I guess we are both detail people. I did the same thing when I first looked at it. I had to see where my cabin was and there weren't enough balconies. A little artistic freedom, I presume. I don't think putting less balconies on the aft would effect the depth though.

For us detailed people are we missing a deck? Or is the resort deck a totally different design from the other decks? I only count six decks shouldn't there be seven.

I counted 8 decks.. 6 with cabins and 2 out doors ones. .what did i miss?

Count again...

The overhang from the Lido Deck above obscures the Resort Deck, a bit, but it's there...

The railing is visible.

This question may or may not have been asked but here goes...I'm confused about the dining choices if you are booked into an Aqua Spa cabin. Can you get pre-assigned dining in the main dining room AND Blu or do Aqua Spa cabin cruisers only eat in Blu? Is Blu just for Aqua Spa cabin cruisers or is it open to all with preferential seating for AS cruisers?

I think that the answer is that Blu will have a seating assignmnet for you unless you go to another specialty restaurant. There will be no table assignment for you in the main room but you could visit there for lunch or breakfast.

I think that the answer is that Blu will have a seating assignmnet for you unless you go to another specialty restaurant. There will be no table assignment for you in the main room but you could visit there for lunch or breakfast.

I think I would miss the traditional seating in the main dining room for dinner. Would Blu then also be open to dining by reservation for those not booked into an Aqua Spa cabin?

lonely?

I'm looking forward to less noise than the dining rooms. We couldn't hear each other on Constellation.

I enjoy the commotion and sounds of other people and the people watching too! I just didn't get a sense of that when I saw artists renderings of Blu on the website. But I'm not complaining. I'm going to try everything! and love it!!

lonely?

I'm looking forward to less noise than the dining rooms. We couldn't hear each other on Constellation.

We're sailing on Connie in November. I've sailed on Millie and loved it and hope Connie is the same. But what about the food? Surely it wasn't that bad?

Archived