Airport and Line

babysangel

I really don't know much about airports or airlines. I'm looking at flying from the NY area either JFK, LGA or Islip/MCGarther airports and going to MCO Orlando Airport in Florida. Which airports are good, bad, just bearable... so on. Same question for the airlines. There are so many. I'm looking to take a flight that leaves between 6am and 7:30am on a sunday morning, the day of the embarkment. I know its not wise to fly the same day but I can't leave the day before b/c I get married that day.

I would really appreciate it if you could give me any info regarding any of these airports and any of the airlines. What you use, or don't use why or why not. I thank you in advance.

It really depends a lot on where you live. LGA is a small airport that has plenty of flights but it tends to be the worst for delays. JFK for domestic flights is normally very good with the international flights mostly leaving evening and nights. Islip McArthur is a small airport with a small terminal with relatively few flights(its a southwest hub)- this makes it the easiest airport to navigate but the worst when a flight is canceled. Early Sunday morning all three airports aren't very busy.

As to which is the best airline to MCO- My personal view is they are all pretty much the same(and its not good) its a 2 to 2 and half hour flight so it doesn't really matter that much.

I would try to get the best price on a non-stop flight(not a direct flight which means it can stop) for the time I want to go and any of the three airports should be ok.

Parking is easiest at McArthur....

I really don't know much about airports or airlines. I'm looking at flying from the NY area either JFK, LGA or Islip/MCGarther airports and going to MCO Orlando Airport in Florida. Which airports are good, bad, just bearable... so on. Same question for the airlines. There are so many. I'm looking to take a flight that leaves between 6am and 7:30am on a sunday morning, the day of the embarkment. I know its not wise to fly the same day but I can't leave the day before b/c I get married that day.

I would really appreciate it if you could give me any info regarding any of these airports and any of the airlines. What you use, or don't use why or why not. I thank you in advance.

Since you are flying in the summer time, I wouldn't be as worried about delays. Sure, they could still happen but not as often or as bad as Jan/Feb.

Personally, I would be looking for a non stop flight. Less chance of luggage loss and a delayed start would not cause you to miss the connection.

Haven't been through any of the NYC airports since Nixon was president (really) so I can't comment on them. MCO's not bad and since that is really your only choice in that area, it's what you have.

We have no preference of airlines. Click Here for a link to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. There is a section for on time performance and a whole bunch more.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

I've only used JFK..it isn't bad...isn't great....jetBlue flies out of JFK into MCO...great airline...the JB terminal at jfk is being renovated so it is a bit of a PITA but it's OK.....jb has flights around 7, 8 & 9 all arriving about 2.5-3 hours later....they also have flights out of LGA at about the same times.

at that hour, since you will have to get to the a/p about 1.5-2 hours early, the lines may be long as all the people getting early flights will be doing the same thing....

can't speak about LGA or Islip/MacArthur...SWA flies out of there to MCO-using random dates, they have a 6:30 am flight that gets in about 9:25 am..neither SW nor ATA (SWs partner) go to MCO from LGA.

i really love JB...cleaner, newer planes, nice crews, they have kept me informed (we all know that they had problems-but my experiences have all been positive) and they have direcTV to keep you amused.

I also like SW because IMO the planes are cleaner and the crews are nicer than many others.....the only airlines i will go out of my way to avoid is USAir followed closely by delta. USair's planes lately have been late and very dirty with nasty people (again, MY opinion only, YMMV) and i am sick of Delta offshoreing their customer service and having to spend 30 minutes on the phone because English is not the person's first language...again, my opnion..others may have differing views.

all in all, you'd have to decide what airport is most convenient and who has the best fares...flying out that early though, I would consider getting a hotel room the night before if possible....some of the places by JFK have park-n-fly rates....the places may not be the most beautiful, but cost wise-for us, it worked out to within 30-40 dollars of just parking at the a/p.

hth

Archived