Can Pompeii be done if I ony have two hours???

I'm booked on the Star Princess's Nov 21st sailing and I've hired a driver for the day. Originally I asked for a couple of hours at Pompeii and then to drive the Amalfi Coast. I want to see both things and I know Pompeii has much to see, but I keep thinking what if I only get here once I need to do both. That being said with only two hours what do I do or see? Should I hire an expensive guide, or use the maps and audio guides seeing as I'm only there a short time. What are the top sites I really can't miss when there?

Help:eek: I'll appreciate any feedback at all!!!

Bel

I think you can probably do it in 2 hours. I found after that, it became a bit same old, same old. I think if you want to try and do it in 2 hours a guide might be better to make the most of your time. The guide will know what the 'must sees' are.

I think you can probably do it in 2 hours. I found after that, it became a bit same old, same old. I think if you want to try and do it in 2 hours a guide might be better to make the most of your time. The guide will know what the 'must sees' are.

I totally agree, you can do this in two hours and I would highly recommend a guide. They will take you to see the musts. We did our tour in two hours, and after that we were exhausted! Mainly because of the heat. But our guide had so much information we never could have seen all that in two hours. It was fasincating! Enjoy!

I cna't now remember whether it was when we paid our entrance fee or hired the audio guide, but we were given a map with different routes through Pompeii, the shortest one being estimated at 2 hours.

The audio guide is not route dependent, certain of the ruins have a plaque with a number which you punch into the audio player, and you hear about what you are seeing. We started on the two hour route but took longer because we were hot and tired, and stopped for a break at the cafe, but I guess the actual walking time was around two hours. If you are running late you can cut out some of the stops on the route or take a short cut back to the entrance.

For me Pompeii was more important than the Amalfi coast. The coastal drive was nice (I was there with my own car), but I've done other drives as picturesque. However, I first learned about Pompeii when I was at primary school (5-11 years old), and it was something I'd always wanted to visit.

Paul S

You just need to realise that it will be only a short introduction to a small part of the city. It is a fascinating place and deserves many more hours if possible. A short visit nevertheless gives you a first feeling and impression.

When you have you only two hours indeed a guide might be a good option. When somebody has more time it might be more enjoyable to take an audioguide or a guidebook and adjust timing, route and choice of sights according to own pleasure and interest.

We spent about 2 hours at Pompeii. i would highly recommend hiring a guide. Pompeii is huge..to see it all you would need an entire day..plus you can get lost very easily. the guide can show you some highlights quickly and also give you the history. We saw many people walking around aimlessly without a guide. alot of it looks the same once you get inside! HAving said that, the Amalfi coast is spectacular (as is pompeii). We did the Amalfi Coast + Pompeii with a private driver..its a little tight on time, but youll be glad you chose that tour.

Larry

Some of the "highlights" of Pompeii include:

Greek and Roman amphitheatres (interesting to see the differences in size, construction, etc. between them)

Forum area (with beautiful views of Vesuvius in the background)

House of the faun (one of the better preserved homes of typical style, built around a courtyard or garden) and other houses

Baths

Public latrines

Brothel (complete with art -- may not be for young children!)

Temple of Apollo

Market shops

If you want to do it on your own, several guidebooks offer a walking tour, and I've heard the audioguide is pretty decent, although we ended up on a guided tour.

Thanks all for the input, I think I'll ask my driver to arrange a guide. I do want to make the most of my time, I don't expect heat will be an issue in November although rain might. Don't want to get lost that's for sure!

You've all been terrific with your advice.

Bel

I agree with many of the other comments here. We hired a private driver for the day and spent about 2 hrs at Pompeii before driving the Amalfi coast.

We did not have a guide for our visit to Pompeii and, in retrospect, this was probably a mistake. We used Rick Steves' guided tour as outlined in his guidebook. Steves hits all the major sites and provides a good explanation of what you are seeing. But Pompeii is HUGE, not well marked, and we ended up getting lost even though I consider myself pretty adept at using maps to get around. So I would certainly recommend hiring a guide, which can be done at the gate or arranged in advance by your private driver.

Pompeii is an awesome experience and not to be missed. We spent the remainder of the day with our private driver/guide who drove us down the coast, stopping in some of the towns. I highly recommend stops in Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello. I understand Sorrento is quite nice, but we didn't have the time to stop.

Enjoy!

You can join a group by the gate for 10 euros per person. This will give you a 2 hour overview of the site, with visits to some important areas. The guides give you an idea of what life was like in Pompeii. They seem to bring the place to life. The guides are all the same whether you have a private one or a group, they are all licensed and you get the same tour, so I'd go for the 10 euros option.

You will only see a very small part of Pompeii and I disagree with the earlier poster who said after a while that it was all the same. There is so much to see that we have been 3 times now, last time for 5 hours and still have stuff we haven't seen.

Be sure to pick up the free map and guide book that comes with the entry fee.

Archived