Crossings

Ste. Michelle

From what I understand you can't predict the weather. I do know several people that have taken the fall crossing report having very nice, warm weather.

But I can tell you that one advantage is that you gain an hour pretty much every day on the westbound ( Fall) crossing and viceversa during the Spring crossing.

My DH and I are booked for this November's crossing on Voyager so we are hoping for calm seas and warm weather!

I've thought about a spring one. Spring is the time we most like to travel to Europe, so then we could do a trip before we fly home. But others have pointed out that with the fall crossing, you get your jetlag over at the beginning, and then have a quick trip home at the end. And, you gain an hour every day or so, instead of losing one.

Eastbound or Westbound, I love transatlantic crossings! I've lost count, but I've made approximately 25 of them. I've never had one that I didn't like.

We're booked on the Voyager westbound in 2008 and hope to take the 2009 westbound as well.

We are on the westbound Voyager crossing in November. We specifically selected westbound because you gain time, rather than loose, as well as have the first segment port-intensive; the last segment seadays, for relaxation.

Really looking forward to our first crossing! According to the comments expressed, either direction, you can't loose!

So a question for all you crossing veterans. It seems there are two ways of treating a crossing: 1. treat it as a wonderful relaxing time to rest and recover, reflect, stare at the water, read some books, go to some lectures, nap; 2. treat it as a very social trip, connect with cruise buddies, with lots of parties and group activities.

So which of these reasons appeal? Or am I wrong?

You can have your cake and eat it too. We're doing the Grand Crossing so we have a week of intense touring and a week of R&R; That said, we have good friends on board we've cruised with a number of times so we can play or we can nap and as you know doing the Cordon Bleu program, which we are doing, is also a very social activity. It's all about living in the moment and doing whatever floats your boat!

Love crossings - did one on the Diamond (the last one :( ) and this past April on the Navigator. Both were Spring crossings and the weather was glorious both times. Smooth as glass. As you approach Africa waves and wind pick up a bit. Both times stayed on for the next cruise. 2008 planning on doing ONLY the crossing. Timing - can't be away from work the next week. It is like a vacation at a world class resort but better.

We too are on the Nov 3 Grand Crossing with Chat Kat and some other friends. Really looking forward to those 8 days at sea. Hope the weather is on the nicer side.

We did a TA several years ago from NY to Southampton on the QEII - quite an experience. Very poor weather and lots of high seas and rocking the whole trip. I took my pills twice a day, and I never have to do that, and on the last night just finally lost it, took a sleeping pill and went to bed. It was fun though - we were with another couple and usually I did fine once I got up and got that pill down in the morning, but after awhile, it just gets to you.

We too are on the Nov 3 Grand Crossing with Chat Kat and some other friends. Really looking forward to those 8 days at sea. Hope the weather is on the nicer side.

We did a TA several years ago from NY to Southampton on the QEII - quite an experience. Very poor weather and lots of high seas and rocking the whole trip. I took my pills twice a day, and I never have to do that, and on the last night just finally lost it, took a sleeping pill and went to bed. It was fun though - we were with another couple and usually I did fine once I got up and got that pill down in the morning, but after awhile, it just gets to you.

My guess is that the weather and seas will be just fine for you. Cunard crosses the North Atlantic which is much rougher. My crossings both times on the QM2 have been rough for several days.

However, crossings that take the Southern route have usually been quite nice.

Yet, the ocean is always in motion!

Enjoy!

Pincus

My guess is that the weather and seas will be just fine for you. Cunard crosses the North Atlantic which is much rougher. My crossings both times on the QM2 have been rough for several days.

However, crossings that take the Southern route have usually been quite nice.

Yet, the ocean is always in motion!

Enjoy!

Pincus

My experience with the QM2 last month from NY to Southampton was calm seas for 6 days! Goes to show there is nothing predictable about a Crossing , be it North Atlantic or otherwise. No point worrying about it.

Good point that the ocean is always in motion Pincus!!!:D

Maria, also agree with you, never know what the weather will be like.

We went on Oceania in Feb to the Caribbean, and the first two days out of Miami were very rough, rocky and miserable. You basically could not walk on the jogging track, nor could you run. That was the cruise I learned to use a treadmill!!:) :) It was not until we got into the Caribbean that the water finally calmed down, and it was the same coming back, the last night especially was very rough and rocky, with winds and high swells. And that was during the high season.

A ship on the ocean is exactly that, a ship on the ocean!!! One must realize that it will rock and move and things will creek and such, but hey, then there are those great days when you don't even know you are moving.

So, hoping for the best on the Voyager crossing, but thats why I have my pills along, just in case things get rough.:eek:

Archived