Questions for Budget Queen

charliem

We did Alaska this summer - doing a land/cruise tour with RCCL. We left our hearts in Alaska....and will be going back next year. It was the most awesome trip/cruise we have ever taken.

This time we will be doing 5 days pre-cruise on our own. Since we went to the interior on this trip, we plan to stay in the southern region - Girwood, Homer, Kenai area. Just really not sure where to spend our time.

My husband wants to do a lot of fishing - not necessary charters but fishing the creeks and streams along the way.

What advice can you give us for doing this region on our own. Looking for good lodging, resturants, etc.

Will appreciate anyone's input on this.

Thanks

We leave Tuesday for our fourth trip in a row to Alaska in Aug-Sept . We have been all over the state, but spend most of our time in Homer and on the Kenai.

I LOVE Homer. Neatest little, left over 1968 hippie town. Maybe it's my age, but I just feel right at home. My husband goes salmon fishing from the time we arrive until the time we leave.

Email me with specific questions and I try to answer your questions. greatam@earthlink.net

charliem, there is a video rental called "The Great Alaska Train Adventure". I just rented it and it followed several passengers along their journeys. One couple took their fishing poles on the train to go fishing along the rivers/streams along the track. I think it was called a flag train?? you can just flag the train down to be picked up anywhere along the way. I can't remember the exact route of the train, but i believe it was the Kenai or Denali area.

Great fishing on the Kenai is in the Copper River, it is so blue it is like the ocean, and great for salmon fishing. :) Halibut fishing is always fun in Homer, charters are great to go on out of there.

A SUPER great pizza place you have to go to hin Homer is Starvin' Marvin's it's my all time favorite! :p

Thanks to all that have replied - please keep the info and recommendations coming in for doing the land on our own and fishing along the way.

We did the RCCI land/cruise tour - Vision of the Seas this summer - if anyone has any questions will be glad to help out.

Archived