What is the best way to get to Red Hook Pier 12 Brooklyn from Newark, NJ Airport?

csaeroach

Just wondering if any past cruisers out of NY could help me out. We are sailing on the Crown Princess Oct 20th, and have decided to fly into Newark, NJ from Canada, on the day our ship leaves. We are to arrive in NJ at 10:37am - I am not sure if this was a very good idea, but just wondering what the best/fastest/and cheapest way to get to Red Hook Pier 12 in Brooklyn?

I am thinking of taking the Princess transfers if they are offered to us, as I did not book our air fare with them, and not sure if they offer transfers from Newark Airport to Red Hook? I might give them a call just to see.

I have heard of Carmel Limo services from other postings on CC, just wondering if anyone has ever used them, and would recommend them? They are quoting me $76.00 for Mini Van service but the way it is worded scares me, as it says does not include Tolls, Gratuity, Extra Stops, and Waiting Time..... I have heard that there are major traffic issues in NJ, NY so what exactly is waiting time??? I would say $76.00 is just a ball park figure and you can add a lot more to that???? Does anyone know?

What would a taxi cost? Does anyone have any suggestions for us?

There will be 4 of us traveling together, so thought it might be cheaper to book a taxi or limo service rather then pay the $40++ per person through Princess, but we are willing to pay this just to make sure we make it to the ship on time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

Chris and Shelley

waiting time would probably mean there may be a charge for the driver to wait if, say your flight was delayed...not sure though...

you'd have to pay the tolls incurred from crossing any bridges/tunnels and/or riding on toll roads (not sure what would apply)...i don't know what or how much tolls would be but it could be an extra $5-10 dollars....ballpark. (i imagine that part of the trip is on the NJ turnpike which is a lousy road for which the turnpike authority charges vehicles to use!

i'm guessing that with tip and tolls it would be under $100 total...(that's guessing on a $10 tip and $10 for tolls)

hth...i am sure some more people will have better info but it is a starting point!

Hello, I just came off the Crown yesterday and used Carmel to and from Newark. I cannot speak highly enough of them. On time, fair price, clean van, and the driver called me to let me know where he was.

We also paid $76.00 which ended up being $88.50 with toll. We tipped $15.00 since they were so prompt and reliable. We left Red hook at 10:00 (on a saturday) and got to Newark at 10:40, no traffic at all.

I wouldnt think twice about using them again in the future. Much better and relaxing than the Princess transfers.

Hello, I just came off the Crown yesterday and used Carmel to and from Newark. I cannot speak highly enough of them. On time, fair price, clean van, and the driver called me to let me know where he was.

We also paid $76.00 which ended up being $88.50 with toll. We tipped $15.00 since they were so prompt and reliable. We left Red hook at 10:00 (on a saturday) and got to Newark at 10:40, no traffic at all.

I wouldnt think twice about using them again in the future. Much better and relaxing than the Princess transfers.

Thanks so much! This is the exact posting I was hoping to receive, and you have calmed me down now! I was starting to get so nervous, and thinking we were not going to have enough time. Just a quick question did you book online before getting to the airport with a credit card, as on their site you can book with paying with cash at pick-up???? I am just wondering if they are still there waiting for you if not confirmed with a credit card. I would much rather pay in cash once at the pier, but for fastest, better service I could provide a credit card if necessary.

thanks again for your post...

Chris and Shelley Roach

Yes, we booked online and paid cash. Carmel watches your flights status so there shouldnt be any wait time. I would book about 45 mins after your flights arrival. Newark is very big and it took a while to get the bags.

Just put your cell# in the reservation so the driver can call you. Ours was 15 mins early.

Last year I had set up Carmel from NY to the port (Red Hook), and the night before the airline changed our flight and we had to reschedule to go into Newark. I made a late night call to Carmel to see what they could do and they said no problem. They were ready for us when we arrived, and we didn't really hit any traffic (or extra tolls that I can recall). I had paid on line and wasn't asked for any more. I was a bit concerned that the driver didn't speak any language I did, and had to stop and put a GPS until on the window, but we got there safe, sound and quick.

Archived